Author Topic: Kai Lenny Downwind SUP Foil  (Read 114925 times)

supuk

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Re: Kai Lenny Downwind SUP Foil
« Reply #90 on: May 05, 2016, 01:50:09 PM »
Dw what's up with the chinook deep tuttle? I havnt seen one but was going to order some as that's all I can find here.

The top surface is molded into the box, so its a fixed depth. Shallow. I've not heard of a deep Tuttle Chinook.

hmm this is what i saw so maybe its not deep i will have to call as it does not say, i gets to me it looked like a deep.

http://www.k-bay.co.uk/chinook-parts-and-accessories/board-building-parts/fin-boxes/tuttle-fin-box

Kaihoe

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: May 05, 2016, 02:29:42 PM »
I'm a little disappointed the Naish crew didn't resurrect last years Penetrator board for the foil video, seeing that thing hovering along would have been spectacular.   

Apparently they did try, but had a very very hard time getting it up.

I've foiled behind a ski.  It only takes 6-7 mph for lift.  Even a crap paddler like me can burst to that speed.  Pitch control was sensitive when I did it but as some have said, things have improved.

The swing weight of the board is probably going to have an effect on controlling the foil. Maybe thats why hes using a short race board with what looks like the tail cut off....

supuk

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: May 05, 2016, 02:45:14 PM »
if it was i 14' i  figured it has been cut down to some were between 11-12'

i think the having only the one mast is quite key for allowing the board to pivot and turn i think if you have two you will need some sort of rudder system.

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #93 on: May 05, 2016, 03:51:38 PM »
Dw what's up with the chinook deep tuttle? I havnt seen one but was going to order some as that's all I can find here.

The top surface is molded into the box, so its a fixed depth. Shallow. I've not heard of a deep Tuttle Chinook.

hmm this is what i saw so maybe its not deep i will have to call as it does not say, i gets to me it looked like a deep.

http://www.k-bay.co.uk/chinook-parts-and-accessories/board-building-parts/fin-boxes/tuttle-fin-box

It's not deep. I bought that box and found out.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2016, 03:53:28 PM by DW »

supuk

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: May 05, 2016, 04:17:20 PM »

It's not deep. I bought that box and found out.
Cheers guess I will just have to keep moulding them

Weasels wake

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: May 06, 2016, 09:47:30 AM »
Kings version~
It takes a quiver to do that.

808sup

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: May 06, 2016, 08:29:11 PM »
I don't want to chop up my nice downwind boards to experiment. I'm toying with the idea of  buying one of the many old windsurf boards here on Craigslist .I'm thinking light as possible to reduce swing weight once on the foil.

Alex Mauer

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: May 07, 2016, 02:55:50 PM »
I wonder if a foil would work going down river?! As long as it was a deep section?

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #98 on: May 07, 2016, 04:13:37 PM »
I wonder if a foil would work going down river?! As long as it was a deep section?

I doubt if it would work going with the current.  I think the foil needs water flowing over it to lift you.  Plus, I can imagine the foil hitting submerged rocks.
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #99 on: May 07, 2016, 04:51:49 PM »

If you could paddle it fast enough.. 'UP RIVER'.. it might work..  :)

magentawave

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Re: Downwind Foil
« Reply #100 on: May 08, 2016, 10:02:51 AM »
Someone please help me out here because I am suffering from a severe lack of imagination. What the hell is the point of that thing?

FUN!
Pluto Platter: 7-10 x 29.25 x 4.25 x 114.5 liters

magentawave

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: May 08, 2016, 10:15:23 AM »
Wow.  Foil freaking everything.

sailboats
windsurfers
kites
SUP

You need deep water for all of them. 

I have just seen the future.   How can we make it work in shallow water with less distance between the bottom of the board and water surface.?

ed

Yeah, man!
Pluto Platter: 7-10 x 29.25 x 4.25 x 114.5 liters

Southbay

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: May 09, 2016, 12:13:57 AM »
Looks like they released them for sale....$1800 yikes!  The. What board do I out it on for a downwind?  Lots to think about.

http://gofoil.com

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #103 on: May 09, 2016, 02:51:54 AM »
Looks like they released them for sale....$1800 yikes!  The. What board do I out it on for a downwind?  Lots to think about.

http://gofoil.com

Web site not working on mobile. Crazy.

Off-Shore

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • HksupaHK SUP and Downwinding
« Reply #104 on: May 09, 2016, 05:46:25 AM »
Nobody has talked about paddles yet... but after years of cutting down our paddles to be shorter and shorter, won't we now need a super long one for a foiled dw board?
SB 9' x 33' x 4.1" - RPC 9'8" iSUP - SB All-Star 12'6" - Blue Planet Bump Rider 14 - SB Ace 14 x 27 - RedAir 14' Elite Race - SIC Bullet 14v1 TWC - SICMaui F16v3 Custom

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/HksupaHk_SUP_and_Downwinding

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal