Author Topic: New rugged waterproof phone w/ thermal imagining.  (Read 3626 times)

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
New rugged waterproof phone w/ thermal imagining.
« on: April 28, 2016, 06:44:16 PM »
Just saw an ad for this CAT phone. Some cool features that would work nice for paddling.

http://www.catphones.com/en-us/phones/s60-smartphone

http://www.catphones.com/en-us/accessories/mounts-and-holders

You can possibly see through fog or even have some night vision with it.
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

southwesterly

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: New rugged waterproof phone w/ thermal imagining.
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2016, 06:58:28 PM »
 Old school cat phone:

SD Surfer

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2016, 07:15:05 PM »
REALLY Old school Cat phone...

Soooo, I didn't see a price anywhere.

I tried calling to inquire, and they were like

leecea

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2016, 07:51:23 PM »

Google found "The S60 will be available later this year for $599"

Dkyachtphoto

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2016, 03:04:26 AM »

Google found "The S60 will be available later this year for $599"
Any word on carriers?

Dave

SpaceCoastPaul

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2016, 03:18:22 AM »
Board mount? Look out GoPro.
8'8" x 31" Stu Sharpe WaveHog
10' x 32" Foote

juandoe

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2016, 05:48:39 AM »
That is one hare-brained phone.  Who needs thermal imaging and waterproof in a phone?  Galaxy s7 is IP68 without flipping a switch.  That has got to be the most niche-market phone around.   

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2016, 11:00:06 AM »
Firefighters, search and rescue (maybe) limited nav aid...

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2016, 11:11:46 AM »
That is one hare-brained phone.  Who needs thermal imaging and waterproof in a phone?  Galaxy s7 is IP68 without flipping a switch.  That has got to be the most niche-market phone around.
You nailed it. I am that hair-brained, nichey kind of guy. It's waterproof for paddling, can check for moister in walls, and see electrical panel imbalances without anything other special devices!
Then there's the Kindle app, and GPS apps.... Life just got better :)
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

lucabrasi

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2016, 11:40:24 AM »
but I would think it sinks. It doesn't appear to have a clip or some sort of bar or pin thing to hook a tether on to which you can hook a floatie to or a longer tether to that and so on. They could square off one of those corners and put it there. Tripod mount that you could do something with?

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2016, 12:38:29 PM »
Love it. Thermal imaging is extremely valuable to anyone that builds anything. I have three thermal image devices, and this one does the same thing that a camera or a GPS in a phone does--puts them in my pocket all the time. Got a smoke alarm that won't clear--look for hot spots in the ceiling to make sure your attic isn't smoldering before you go to bed. Want to see if your fin box repair epoxy is too thick? See if the carb feeding the front two cylinders is too rich/lean, Check your brake bias? If the image can be calibrated for actual temperature then it's even more valuable, but image alone does most of what I need, and is superior for a lot of things. Trying to set camber and tire pressure on a race car would be a piece of cake with a tread image, though my software for suspension analysis requires numeric temperatures across the tread.

Like most tools, all the way back to the chipped rock, you don't know you need it until you have one. Smartphones are fast becoming the interface to every tool. I have a smartphone oscilloscope, multimeter, and borescope. All three of those tools are much cheaper than their standalone equivalent, and all three do things their standalone versions rarely do except in more expensive versions--record everything and disconnect the interface and viewing component from the device.

I generally don't trust little lanyard holes anyway. Anything I want a real lanyard on gets a NSI loop tab or has kite line tied to it if there's a handy projection.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

juandoe

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2016, 03:11:38 PM »
http://www.flir.com/flirone/content/?id=69420

These have been out for a couple of years.  Not sure how often anyone needs IR imaging and waterproof at same time.  Maybe volunteer firefighters could use it but the firefighters I have seen have had real IR cameras. 

This thing has a midrange processor and some unknown camera.  The Galaxy s7 and s7 edge, Sony X5 have top of the line processors and excellent cameras, all while being IP68.

Seems like an odd tradeoff for convenience of built in FLIR. I have my infrared temperature gun and really haven't found a good reason for it other than checking the melting point of hot glue for my Kenalus.

lucabrasi

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2016, 08:08:10 PM »
I generally don't trust little lanyard holes anyway. Anything I want a real lanyard on gets a NSI loop tab or has kite line tied to it if there's a handy projection.
  Never thought about doing that. I had a bomber Casio waterproof phone that did most everything reasonably well I wanted but would sink if dropped.
Not that many years ago that a huge shoulder mount thermal image camera was 20k.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal