Author Topic: Fort Point Shame and Righteous Anger - Video  (Read 19811 times)

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Fort Point Shame and Righteous Anger - Video
« Reply #45 on: May 01, 2016, 09:19:58 AM »
IPA belly can should be worn as a badge of honor like I do mine. Although I have big fitness plans for this summer. Knee fix on the way.

Me too. Seventy is going to be my breakout year.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

coldsup

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 02, 2016, 01:47:28 AM »
Well done Clay. The only thing he could rightly pull you up on is for wearing no leash.....in my book that is putting others surfing there in potential danger....even though the waves looked pretty mild.

SpaceCoastPaul

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 02, 2016, 07:58:05 AM »
And I really hope, no matter how slim the chance is, that he gets some help and deals with his crap so we can see the real him instead this asshat he is masquerading as.

Great sentiment Clay.
8'8" x 31" Stu Sharpe WaveHog
10' x 32" Foote

all~wet

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 02, 2016, 08:42:26 AM »
"Seventy is going to be my breakout year."

I fucking love this.

SlatchJim

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 02, 2016, 09:46:30 AM »
Clay,
The owner of our company and I have long discussions about responses that "go with the flow" versus "resist the flow" when it comes to all our daily conflicts.  My nature is to resist and fight back, and his is too.  We're both attempting to "go with the flow" in a conscious effort to see a different result. I'll admit that it gets a different vibe thrown over the situations we're in.  Not saying it's always better.

I am by no means the king of verbal judo.  I did a lot of it as a lifeguard early on in my career, and even more as a basketball, water polo, and soccer official later on, and I was known as a reasonable ref.  I can tell you that it wasn't always the right way to go, and being decisive and unmoving has it's place in your repertoire.  I can tell you that I'm not nearly diplomatic enough with certain people (my wife namely), and I gotta work harder on that one.

LB Surper

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 02, 2016, 11:57:51 AM »
I can't believe that overgrown Baby-Huey was giving you a hard time.  One shove at his board with your paddle, and he would've gone down; he looks very unbalanced on that thing.  I paused it to check out his physique and let me tell you, it was mostly flab, stubby arms and legs  and cankles to boot.  No physical integrity to stand behind the nasty attitude.
NSP DC 14'
Naish Hokua 9'6"
Mistral Diamond Head 8'6"
Naish Glide 14"

SUPcheat

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 02, 2016, 01:34:42 PM »
IPA belly can should be worn as a badge of honor like I do mine. Although I have big fitness plans for this summer. Knee fix on the way.

Me too. Seventy is going to be my breakout year.

Shingles or staph?
2013 Fanatic Prowave LTD 9'3"x30.5x@134L
Sunova Speeed 8'10"x29.12@131L
Sunova Flow 8'7"x30.25"@121L
Carbon 9.3x32@163L Hammer
Me: 6'1"@230 lbs 68 years old

goodfornothin

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 02, 2016, 02:40:59 PM »
Don't let them draw you into their negativity, your an empath and that energy will never sit right.  I could hear in your voice you didn't want to go there.  Don't next time.  They are projecting many years of self depravation.  I'm an empath as well,,,but I  can fight really well in the water and I don't hesitate to let somebody know I have limits.  But I've found if I let myself get drawn INto their vortex of negativity and they pass it through me,,,I'm not able to release it for many many days.  It's strings right. Everything is connected,,even plants. They can leave positive connections, negative and neutral.  If you use their language of hate it will connect with you. Dont,,,find their weakness before you speak. But only use positive language that you feel comfortable with.  It will keep you focused. I use humor,,,I would have been relentless on his weight, board, leash, paddle,,Keep it funny to you. That way when you leave the water you haven't let him In.  He won just by you posting the video.  He transferred his energy enough that you have been thinking  of better ways to deal with him for weeks.  Fuck that.  Don't let him in. 

I personally would have told him he just earned a best new friend,,I would have burned him on every wave,,you obviously know how to surf.  Let your physicality do your speaking. I had some dumb ass sup'r trying to call.me off a wave, as he was way on the shoulder.  I just smiled and sprayed him,,,,hahaha.  To many dumb asses out there to let them ruin a minute of my day. 

Funny I had this exact conversation with my 10 year old son this morning.  He has a team mate that is intelligent but from a fucked up family.  Sky has apraxia (speech delay) so he's easy to manipulate and get angry.  He's a beast at muy thai and jijitsu.  He's a little to quick to choke kids out when getting mentally manipulated.  It's a hard lesson to find the reason behind bullying and how to not let the negativity manipulate outcomes you don't necessarily want or need.  Always lessons yeah,,,

Clay,,look up wim hof.  Learn his breath.  A lot of clarity will come from the loss of your ptsd.  Youll find none of this will ever bother you.  And you'll be able to hold your breath for six minutes,,win win. I use it everyday.  I also meditate and that has helped me clear some lower Shakra pain that was holding me back from many things.  Look him up,,,,iit helped laird,,shit, he just did a surgery simply using his breath and ice.  It's a powerful tool, your breath. 

clay

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • www.clayisland.com
    • Email
« Reply #53 on: May 02, 2016, 04:36:46 PM »
Appreciate the posts, I take them all to heart.

Coldsup - thanks for being on the leash patrol, it's important and I agree it's a great piece of safety gear.  It's hard to see because mine was clear, I was wearing a leash, no leash at Ft Point equals a board being horribly smashed on the rocks.  :)

Paul - Thanks!

SlatchJim - great insight.  My understanding of go with the flow is not resisting what is, in this case resisting the accusations and being asked to leave.  Maybe super present uber zen would be not getting triggered or angry and acknowledging he wants me to leave and that cameras/outsiders are scary and part me is a kook/geek/dork/from the valley/ whatever?  That's my work, not being defensive and still having healthy boundaries.  For me all these runins are different and I act differently and learn something each time, growth.

Goodformany - Thanks for the insightful response.  I agree I'm an empath, super sensitive, even with ear plugs and blindfolded I can still feel that stuff a mile away.  I saw your Wim Hof post on another thread and watched his youtube videos and listened to the Joe Rogan interview, very cool and what a wonderful human being, thanks for sharing.  I agree 1000% that the body can heal itself and that our natural state is health, strength, and joy.  I learn best hands on in person, I'll have to find somebody teaching his method here in the bay area.

Aloha, I welcome and appreciate all responses of positivity and good feeling.

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOIE6FWr1SpWvbPJIIiEgog

Bulky

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 02, 2016, 06:02:47 PM »
Been appreciating this thread and agree that it's odd how a stranger--even if we know they are angry, misguided and spouting all kinds of wrong assumptions can get into our heads and trouble us for days.

I agree with the humor part of it--that's my go-to if someone ever road rages me.  Roll down the window, tilt my head clearly in the mirror, whatever it takes to let them see a big smile of teeth and laughter.  Sure it probably aggravates them more, but more importantly, their actions don't get to me.

On the water, I've never gotten an outburst like you did, but I return the snide comments with jokes "Thanks for the pointers, buddy!" "This is my first day, am I doing awesome or what?" "Maybe someday I'll be as awesome as you!"  I've got plenty of size to intimidate, ain't going to return reason for stupidity, just rather let them know it isn't getting to me.

Not to hijack your thread, but you might see why this episode from this morning came to mind when I read this.  I've been paddling from the same spot most mornings a week for well over two years.  The last several weeks, there's been a guy fishing from the end of the year with a really high piercing voice who starts screaming "watch the fishing lines!" any time anyone comes close.  I've never come close but since I like peace and quiet at dawn, I've made a point of giving an even wider berth--so far that I almost can't hear him when he feels the need to scream out his warning (I should also mention he may not be playing with a full deck).  More than once, I've thought to turn the tables and head out screaming "Watch out for the paddleboarder!!"

This morning, I'm paddling far outside of his range and he starts screaming again, waving his arms, pointing, etc.  More than usual.  I stop and am only picking up pieces of it between the distance and the chop hitting on my board.  Something about "fishing" "Six feet" "Seven" "rope"...pointing up and down the pier.  Just figured it was more grousing about his lines and I just kind of nodded and went on my way.

Coming in about an hour later I decided to swing in close to come to an understanding--so that we can hopefully dispense with the morning yelling and waving.  He starts up well before I can make out a word of it.  I'm yelling back "Hold on, I can't hear you.  I see your lines.  I'm coming to talk to you."

Still he didn't stop and got even more animated as got closer.  I started to prepare myself to engage in every anti-escalation strategy I could think of and when I finally got there and asked him what was up he said, "Dude!!! I caught a 6ft, sevengill shark last night and I'm cooking it up right now!  You should go tie up your board down at the ladder and come have some breakfast!  I'll bring my rope and you can tie up your board."

Totally threw me for a loop.  Had to pass on the meal as I don't think the ranger would have approved of me climbing up onto the pier and I had to get to work anyway.  Turns out he's homeless and fishes most of the night.  Just seemed like he got scored a huge fish and wanted to share it with someone.  Told him on a Friday morning I might have more time and would walk out there for breakfast after I finished up.  Came to an understanding on the fishing lines--just asked him to hang a towel over the rail so I'd know he was there and would give him the distance he needed.

So again if this was a hijack, but thought I might highlight a surprise outcome to a scenario I thought was going to go a totally different direction.
Santa Barbara, CA

SIC RS 14x24.5
Infinity Blackfish 14'
Naish Glide 14' (2012)
SupSports Hammer 8'11
Starboard WidePoint 10'5
Ke Nalu Mana, Konihi, Maliko

coldsup

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 03, 2016, 04:07:45 AM »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D The clear leash - yup - I never saw it. That's good.

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 03, 2016, 07:32:10 AM »
Great story Bulky!

coldsup

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 03, 2016, 01:07:23 PM »

goodfornothin

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 03, 2016, 04:55:13 PM »
Clay,,,I'll have classes available through my website soon.  I'm working with a few people now to get a Web based class going.  Pm me and I can teach it to you over the phone.  It will change your life.

clay

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • www.clayisland.com
    • Email
« Reply #59 on: May 04, 2016, 10:33:03 AM »
Beautiful story Bulky, thanks for sharing.  No hijack, it's a most welcome post, and for me a great lesson on staying curious and riding things out to see where they lead.  Had the guy in my run in stayed curious (instead of telling me to F-off) and asked questions about me and the pole cam we could have had a great conversation and we could have gotten to the root of why he is so upset.  I could have bought him a beer and maybe become friends, and who knows he could have married my sister.  Win-Win.  Maybe if I have another run in I will try a different response that will hopefully have an outcome where we all feel better?

good - I will send you a PM.
Aloha, I welcome and appreciate all responses of positivity and good feeling.

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOIE6FWr1SpWvbPJIIiEgog

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal