Author Topic: Fort Point Shame and Righteous Anger - Video  (Read 19812 times)

clay

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • www.clayisland.com
    • Email
Fort Point Shame and Righteous Anger - Video
« on: April 28, 2016, 01:25:31 PM »
Where to begin? 

My knowledge of Fort point is that in addition to being one of the most unique iconic and popular destinations in the world it also has a very high concentration of surfers behaving like jerks.  My experience has been that a third to as much as half of the times I have surfed there I see drama and bad vibes directed at me or someone else.  There have been news stories and court cases about the surfer against surfer violence there.  About 15 years ago I had a guy run over my board putting a big fin gash in it and tell me tough luck.

Why Fort Point?  Why territorialism at a surf spot that is often mediocre at best?  Maybe it's because when it's to big and blown out everywhere else Fort Point is always surfable, and often the only place to ride waves within 100 miles?  Maybe it's the odd seclusion, narrow entry, and the lack of any housing or business in the area?  Maybe it's because many surfers have this spot on their must surf bucket list and there is a consistent rotation of new faces in the lineup?  Maybe it's because the closest neighborhood is the Marina which has a reputation of having a lot of aggro Dbags?  I suspect it's a combination of all these and the challenge of being a surfer in one of the most expensive cities in the world.

On this morning I drove around the bend at Fort Point and saw only two guys out in the small waves, one guy was on a SUP, I was excited and hopeful this would be a mellow drama free session.  Only one or two surfers in the parking lot getting ready to leave, no stink eye, and a friendly greeting with the park police, looking good so far.  About a minute and thiry-one seconds after I paddled out, I hadn't even reached the peak yet, and the guy on the SUP starts yelling, “Get out of here!”  I'm feeling surprised and curious, why is this guy going bananas when I'm so far away?  Then he yells that he saw me the other day at another surf spot and so he already knew about my camera pole and he had his hair trigger ready to fire as soon as he saw me coming.

Now I know some folks who are experts at blaming and shaming.  This guy was bringing his A-game and running for the title of World Champion Shamer, showing me his Swiss Army knife of abuse tactics.  By this point in my life I have experienced enough blame and shame to recognize it and to know that it's got nothing to do with me, it still hurts but the sting has diminished over the years.  My understanding is that people use blame and shame to protect themselves when they are feeling scared.  And they learned this behavior to survive the abuse they suffered growing up, so if this guy is an expert shamer it's most likely because his parents, and friends, and community mercilessly blamed and shamed and criticized him.   I have compassion for anyone who has gone through this, and at the same time past trauma is no excuse for present behavior.

I know because I felt blamed and shamed and criticized and unwelcome growing up and my defense was to shut down, go silent and try to weather the storm of abuse.  I also learned to self-abuse and to beat myself up.  My repair work the past several years has been to find my voice and learn to stand my ground and speak up regardless of the consequences.  I have had three surf drama run ins this season and each time I have practiced using my voice and finding the strength and courage to speak up.  I recently heard a medical doctor talking about how when we respond to shame with righteous anger our immunity goes up, so with this knowledge I was inspired and ready to test anyone who dared to shame me.  How dare anyone put down the uniqueness, passion, and talents of any being, surfing was created through these qualities.  It's my belief that the world needs less jerks trying to abusively enforce the status quo, and more “kooks” flying their freak flags and lovingly doing weird, scary, unique, and beautiful acts.

I am torn as whether to share these events or to give them as little attention as possible.  In this case I believe that sharing is what's needed.  I believe Fort Point and spots like it need more surfers to bring their kindness, compassion, love, and joy these places.  The dark cloud of bad vibes has smothered Fort Point long enough and a bright positive light of Aloha is most needed and welcome.

Here is some video from the above event:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LeunKdVcVXQ

Now that I got that off my chest, here is the recap and video from the rest of my session:
What a crazy interesting day!  It went from pouring rain to calm sunny skies and then howling side onshore winds.  I was stoked to find Fort Point with only two other guys out and halfway through my session I had it all to myself.  The ripping NW winds had a lot to do with this, the downwind potential was looking phenomenal by the end of my session.  Always seems to be a unique and interesting experience here, the pole cam added a whole another dimension to it for me.  Feeling grateful for the adventure filled day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pl2n2l0LXAc
Aloha, I welcome and appreciate all responses of positivity and good feeling.

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOIE6FWr1SpWvbPJIIiEgog

SUPcheat

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Fort Point Shame and Righteous Anger - Video
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2016, 02:41:54 PM »
I admire, Clay, that you have endeavored so hard to remove the self poisoning attitudes.  That takes courage and a lot of hard work, congratulations on your journey.

You sure get around on your surf trips in the Bay Area.  I tend to be more of a creature of habit, but I want to get around more, too.

I went to Cowells for the first time today.  A longboard surfer with long read hair and zinc oxide war paint stared and stared at me like I was from Mars.  When I caught a wave, he just purposely came down the line after me an rode over me even though it was my wave.

I just acted like it was my fault, apologized for nothing, and he left with his satisfaction and didn't bother me after that. That was preferable to a confrontation, but I just think it is a waste of time regarding such things as personal.  As you said, it was more about him on the negative ledger than it was about me.

I got ran over twice more in the crowd, once by a surf school grom, and another by a cute girl, both unintentional.  Maybe I can get the cute girls to hit me with their butts, that would be fun. 

I like the sandy bottom at Cowells, may go there more and just practice stand up and buoy turns in the shallows for a while.  I am also going to make it around the corner to Indicators and try surfing that, too.  Thursday seems to be a reasonable day to do that.

2013 Fanatic Prowave LTD 9'3"x30.5x@134L
Sunova Speeed 8'10"x29.12@131L
Sunova Flow 8'7"x30.25"@121L
Carbon 9.3x32@163L Hammer
Me: 6'1"@230 lbs 68 years old

SUPcheat

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2016, 02:46:46 PM »
Pardon me, though, I did watch your "anger" video with a lot of amusement.  I couldn't help but laugh, I'm archiving that one for future reference.
2013 Fanatic Prowave LTD 9'3"x30.5x@134L
Sunova Speeed 8'10"x29.12@131L
Sunova Flow 8'7"x30.25"@121L
Carbon 9.3x32@163L Hammer
Me: 6'1"@230 lbs 68 years old

SD Surfer

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2016, 03:37:47 PM »
Pardon me, though, I did watch your "anger" video with a lot of amusement.  I couldn't help but laugh, I'm archiving that one for future reference.

I chuckled as well, particularly at the final line...

"Now I'm gonna' go in and f**k up your car"

Your face was like

SUP Leave

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2016, 04:09:44 PM »
Great thread man. I admire you.

I would have made it about 2 minutes before I would have told him to "Shit or get off the pot". I was seeing red just watching it. I'm not violent at all but I have 3 little kids at home and I hear enough whining. I definitely don't want to hear it from some stranger about nothing.

You handled it great, it was apparent from the guy's demeanor that he was just making noise because he is a prick, no other reason. If he really thought your pole was out of place he should have talked reasonably to you with about it and why. He just felt like being a dick.
Make paddleboarding great again!

southwesterly

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2016, 05:07:42 PM »
I love that the local dip shits that surf there think it’s some kind of secret spot. All within view of the 112,000 cars that cross the bridge daily.

It’s sad that you had to put on your game face… but you did a good job of it.

When crap like that happens to me, the bummer is I spend the next week thinking of snappy retorts that I should have said.

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2016, 05:14:35 PM »
Wow...what a complete dick!
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

Chilly

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2016, 05:44:28 PM »
That’s the type of guy that spends his life whining about chicken shit. It must suck to be him. You should have told him you’re from Mexico. ;D
NSP 2016 12'6 Surf Race Pro

SUPJorge

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2016, 05:52:24 PM »
Great job Clay! Next time tell him it's only your second day surfing ... then go surfing and show him what it's like to be a happy, well-adjusted human being.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2016, 05:55:02 PM by SUPJorge »
14' SIC Bullet V2 - 9'1" Naish Hokua X32 LE

Ichabod Spoonbill

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Hudson Valley, NY
    • View Profile
    • HVH2O
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2016, 06:06:19 PM »
Wow, what a douchenozzle. I don't know why people get like that. Like southwesterly said, it does this guy think he's found a secret spot? That's like me laying claim to under the Brooklyn Bridge. I was born near there, but it doesn't mean I own it.

People take their own self-righteousness too seriously.
Pau Hana 11' Big EZ Ricochet (Beluga)

Ichabod Spoonbill

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Hudson Valley, NY
    • View Profile
    • HVH2O
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2016, 06:07:58 PM »
Now his douchebaggery has been preserved forever. You could remind him of that next time you see him.
Pau Hana 11' Big EZ Ricochet (Beluga)

robon

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2016, 06:09:24 PM »
Buddy had his lunch money stolen one too many times as a youngster. Still a geek.

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2016, 06:11:04 PM »
When crap like that happens to me, the bummer is I spend the next week thinking of snappy retorts that I should have said.
The dreaded "L'esprit de l'escalier" feeling.

covesurfer

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2016, 06:25:47 PM »
Cal is a beautiful place but it's full of assholes. I realize that there are jerks everywhere, but especially in surf culture, Cal seems to have an oversupply of f*cktards. Plenty of great people but a lot of loudmouth, self-entitled dickbags live there. Plenty of them migrate to other places and bring their attitudes with them.

I learned to surf in central and NorCal in the mid 70's and it was weird then and I guess things don't change much. This reminds me of that prick lawyer from Santa Cruz that got caught on video vandalizing cars. Some flab bag old guy that fancies himself to be the enforcer of some asinine unwritten code of conduct.

Gosh, I never knew Ft Point existed until I saw a video on the zone! Duh. That place is known far and wide and the reputation as a lineup full of dicks has been in place for at least a generation. The Point in Seaside OR has a similar rap, but it's at least a freaking world-class wave. On the day of this video, it looks like a macking 2 footer, once in a while, with no one out to choke up the lineup. Wow, that's something to fight over.

Watching this makes me churn. I honestly don't know how I would handle someone pitching that much abuse at me. I would probably not want to leave but is it really worth it to take it to the next level? I wouldn't want an assault charge or a hospital visit, either are bad outcomes.

Good on you for your restraint and calm. That would have definitely ruined my day.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2016, 06:28:46 PM by covesurfer »

supthecreek

« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2016, 07:31:42 PM »
Ha ha... good work Clay.... shine the light on a tuff guy that gets called out and does nothing but threaten to damage an inanimate object that can't fight back. Farking pussy with a big mouth. Love those guys. They may as well yell "I am a big mouth chicken shit"

Well, at least he provided us with a little amusement.

Classic peacenix in Frisco... spreading the love  :)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal