Author Topic: Allstar 14x25 Reviewed for Open Ocean  (Read 26699 times)

photofr

• Peahi Status
  • Dakine… fun
    • View Profile
    • Extreme Outdoor Photography
    • Email
Allstar 14x25 Reviewed for Open Ocean
« on: April 27, 2016, 11:17:59 PM »
My Allstar 14x25 just arrived on the West Coast of France (Brittany). The timing is perfect: the weather is finally warming up a bit. Speaking of which, I already have a new name for the new board: “Brittany Special”. After all, I do feel this board can “do it all” and deal with just about any condition we’ll find in Brittany. It’s the Jack of all Trade, without a doubt.

Below is my view on the 2016 Starboard Allstar 14x25. Please note that I am not a world class paddler and FAR FROM IT. In fact, I am kinda old, not too fast, but I really enjoy paddling long distance in open ocean, 4 to 6 times a week.

FIRST IMPRESSION
The Allstar 14x25 Stability is amazing. 

WEIGHT
11.9 kilos, with fin and two handles installed.
The board is 540 grams heavier than my 2016 Sprint 14x23.
Carrying it on my bald head is super easy. The board is therefore pretty light, even though it could be lighter. On the plus side, the board seems SOLID.
Please keep in mind that this is all relative… and that I am spoiled: I am in fact used to surfskis that are 21+ feet, solid as a rock, in the sub-9 kilo range.

STIFFNESS
I have to admit, I was a little worried after reading some of the feedback for this board. People were raging about board stiffness, or lack thereof. To my pleasant surprise, I find the Allstar 14x25 to be more rigid than my Sprint 14x23. After paddling the Allstar for 22km, I can tell you that it’s quite rigid, yet very pleasant on the body (not too rigid).

JACK OF ALL TRADES
I think that’s where most people will be pleasantly surprised: this board can really do it all!
Competition: Open ocean (and I do mean all conditions), buoys turns > Excellent.
Marathons, long distance open ocean, cruising around with the family > very good, especially with the multiple attachment points for the handles.
Downwind, Downbreeze > Seriously at the top of its game; the board just wants to go, and is easy to handle.
Upwind > Almost enjoyable, one of the best upwind machines I have tried to date.
Flat water > You aren’t going to break world records on flat water, but you will never feel like it’s pushing a lot of water either. This board feels good on the flats, and is in fact a lot quieter than I expected (compared to an Ace, this board is wisper quiet, compared to my Sprint Unlimited, this board is loud). Nonetheless, you will feel the glide, you’ll like it, you’ll even feel fast, event if you won’t be Sprint-fast on the dead-flat-water.
Free Diving > I seriously considering putting fins, mask and snorkel and getting some lobsters from this board. Climbing back onto the board has got to be the easiest of any board I have been on so far. Possibilities are endless actually.
Drafting > This board excels at drafting other riders, and happens to be one of the easiest board to control when drafting boats. Stability is almost endless.

Very versatile board that will most likely please a lot of people.

COLORS
The colors are nice, but they are surprisingly tuned down when compared to the 2016 Sprint 14x23. The nose of the Allstar is closer to the orange of an orange rather than blood red. The color scheme is still nice, just different, which I thought was a bit strange. Perhaps there’s a reason for this, but I can’t even imagine what it would be.

BOARD THICKNESS
To be fair, I expected a much thicker board, and expected to be standing way atop the water. That’s not at all the case, and this is (to me) great news. The rails of the Allstar are about 25% thinner than the rails on the Sprint 14x23. The front end of the Allstar is however thicker (taller).

FIN BOX
You’ve probably read it too: the fin box is quite short and will not accommodate fins with large bases. To be fair, I will most likely change the gigantic stock fin, and put a much MUCH smaller fin on this board. My reasoning is that this board has way too much stability, and this board tracks way too straight. I can’t even imagine putting on a larger fin!

WATER DRAINAGE
There are no drainage holes (no scuppers) on this board. Waves will come and go (water will just run on the deck and disappear). You will not have to wait for the water to drain from your board like you did on your Ace. This board is very dry on flat water, however, this is a “wet board” in open ocean, AND water will stag in your standing area (granted, very little, but you will have remaining water there). You can’t even blame it on my weight, because I am only 135 pounds. This isn’t a huge concern, but I wanted to let you know.

ROCKER (Banana Shape)
The front rocker is more pronounced on the Allstar than that of the Sprint (thankfully so). The rear is even more pronounced. The balance of rocker makes this board super easy to surf open ocean swells. I can actually see a Downwind / Downbreeze school with a fleet of Allstar boards for their Intermediate and Advanced paddlers; it’s that easy.

DIMENSIONS
Length and Width: 14' x 25" (14 feet x 25 inches) (4m27 x 63.5 cm)

In summary, the 2016 Allstar is super enjoyable, relatively very stable, and incredibly versatile. In my opinion, this board will meet 90% of all paddlers’.

Nelo SUP - 14' x 23"
Nelo Surfski 560M - 18'4" x 17"

mr_proper

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
Re: Allstar 14x25 Reviewed for Open Ocean
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2016, 12:21:58 AM »
Thanks for your review.
I will see, if I can buy a used one in autumn (or before ;-).
However, it also depends on how well I will cope with the Sprint.
SIC RS 14x23, 2018
SIC RS 14x26, 2018
Lightcorp Signature Race 14x24.75, 2018 (sold)
JP Australia AdventurAir 12x36, 2017
Starboard Allstar 14x24.5, 2017 (sold)
SIC Bullet 14x27.25 TWC, 2015
Jimmy Lewis Sidewinder 14x25, 2016 (sold)
Sprint 14x23, 2015 (sold)
JL Stiletto 14x28, 2014 (sold)

photofr

• Peahi Status
  • Dakine… fun
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2016, 04:22:49 AM »
Birds Eye View on the Sprint 14x23 and the Allstar 14x25:
Flat water: The Allstar really holds its own, but the Sprint is still a bit faster. If the person has marginal balance, the Allstar may very well match the speed of the Sprint on flat water.
Open Ocean: The Allstar starts to really shine, especially in rougher waters. Without a doubt, a paddler on the Allstar will be faster under the following specific conditions: Small chops, with a rider with marginal balance - especially on longer distances (more than 15km).

If I could only have one board for everything, it would be the Allstar 14x25 or similar.
If I could only have one board, and paddled ONLY on flat water, or really calm days, and my balance was above average, I would seriously consider the Sprint 14x23 as a single board.
If you can afford two boards, the above combo is very sound.

Don't you think it will be difficult to find and purchase a used 2016 Allstar before the year is over?
You might do better finding a 2014 or 2015 Allstar for a great price, and only lack the crazy amount of added stability of the 2016.

Nelo SUP - 14' x 23"

yugi

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2016, 05:33:44 AM »
Very nice photos of the board.

Thanks for the review. Glad you’re liking a planing hull!

Surprised you didn’t go for the x23 AllStar. But for a quiver board, and more for ocean and DW the x25 is likely perfect. Wouldn’t your ideal quiver be the 17’ Sprint and this AllStar? Why also have a 14’ x23 Sprint?

mr_proper

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2016, 05:44:13 AM »
Thanks again for your thoughts.

I've spent now 9 hours on the Sprint and fell three times into the water (flat water with 12 knts wind).
Each time because a boat wave from the side.
So I'm not sure if my balance is better than marginal and an Allstar could be the better choice.
But I'll see it in a few weeks when I have completed my first race. ;-)

Don't you think it will be difficult to find and purchase a used 2016 Allstar before the year is over?
You might do better finding a 2014 or 2015 Allstar for a great price, and only lack the crazy amount of added stability of the 2016.

I don't think it will be easy to find a 2016 Allstar, but I have time.
I have the 2015 Sprint for flat and a 2015 Bullet TWC for sea and fun.
So there are no need to hurry.
SIC RS 14x23, 2018
SIC RS 14x26, 2018
Lightcorp Signature Race 14x24.75, 2018 (sold)
JP Australia AdventurAir 12x36, 2017
Starboard Allstar 14x24.5, 2017 (sold)
SIC Bullet 14x27.25 TWC, 2015
Jimmy Lewis Sidewinder 14x25, 2016 (sold)
Sprint 14x23, 2015 (sold)
JL Stiletto 14x28, 2014 (sold)

photofr

• Peahi Status
  • Dakine… fun
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2016, 06:10:23 AM »
Very nice photos of the board.

Thanks for the review. Glad you’re liking a planing hull!

Surprised you didn’t go for the x23 AllStar. But for a quiver board, and more for ocean and DW the x25 is likely perfect. Wouldn’t your ideal quiver be the 17’ Sprint and this AllStar? Why also have a 14’ x23 Sprint?

Good point about the "perfect quiver".
I love long distance paddling, and the UL is just magic. I figured I'd train harder and start racing in 2017, but NO ONE will have me in a race with a UL in Europe, and especially not on the 11-City Tour 200km race. Anyway, that's why I got the Sprint 14x23.

I wanted the Allstar 14x23 - but there was only one available and it was already taken. The 14x25 gives me a wider range of motion - with two pun intended. :)
Nelo SUP - 14' x 23"

robon

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2016, 05:25:39 PM »
« Last Edit: April 28, 2016, 06:17:00 PM by robon »

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2016, 05:53:03 PM »
Whoa! That's one serious trough...

robon

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2016, 06:10:34 PM »
Whoa! That's one serious trough...

The video is great and a bit funny.

photofr

• Peahi Status
  • Dakine… fun
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2016, 03:48:45 AM »
It's been a while, but I have spent a lot of time paddling both the Sprint 14x23 and my Allstar 14x25... getting "real" feedback from my GPS data, as well as getting "a pretty good feel" for how different the boards are.

In an effort to simplify things, here's how I see the two boards:

THE SPRINT (PROS)
More glide on flat water (you know, that good feeling)
Narrower catch (that smaller paddlers will appreciate)
Heck of a leg workout (yes, it will be in the "cons" as well)
Very dry standing area, even in Open Ocean
Faster on flats (on average, I am paddling at 0.2 km/h faster)
Sprints, accelerations, catching bumps (just faster, and easier)

THE SPRINT (CONS)
Crazy leg workout in confused seas
Not as versatile for open ocean paddling

THE ALLSTAR (PROS)
Super versatile (for literally everything)
Open Ocean Champ (will take nearly any conditions you throw at it)
Standing area surprisingly low (you are most likely not going to need a new paddle)
Probably the most stable 25" board that I have ever been on
Simplified deck area (clean... looks more like a surfboard)
More "user friendly" than an Ace when stepping on the (back end of the board)
No rolling effect, or barely noticeable (compared to an Ace)
Makes for a great touring board with dry bags combo
Totally holds its own on flat water, and only 0.2 km/h slower on long distances
Harsh conditions become fun (confused seas, headwind, boat wake)
A blast on Downwind runs

THE ALLSTAR (CONS)
Not an easy board for 30+ km runs (not quite the glide of an Unlimited board)
Wet standing area (once you get water in the cockpit, about 2 cups will remain)

BOTTOM LINE
I loose a little bit of speed with the Allstar, but in the end, it's a tiny price to pay for a board that is super versatile and that I could see myself taking out almost every single day of the year.

The small puddle of water isn't a big deal during warmer months... in fact, you won't even notice it when the sun's out. When it's cold, I am merely reminded to wear the dredged booties.

In any case, the Allstar is a board I can truly recommend for a great many people. Stability alone will reassure and convince most paddlers to concentrate on technique for more speed.

Here's a picture from the last race in France (Brittany)

Nelo SUP - 14' x 23"

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2016, 04:01:44 AM »
photofr - why are all your boards only from one brand. Do you have some connection to Starboard?

SUPflorida

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2016, 04:06:23 AM »
Have you had a chance to demo the 23" Allstar to compare stability to the 25?

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2016, 08:13:42 AM »
It seems you take a lot of photos of SB at races?
Fast is FUN!   8)
Dominator - Touring Pintail - Bullet V2 - M14 - AS23

photofr

• Peahi Status
  • Dakine… fun
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2016, 08:23:12 AM »
Open up a Starboard SUP catalog, and you will find my photo on the back, along with other photographers. That's the only extent to which I am currently associated with Starboard. I get paid pretty well, but I still pay full price for my boards (if that makes you feel better)  :)

On the other hand, I am currently free to say anything I want about the boards I have purchased, and I always try to give you real feedback on each boards.

I also have a reputation, and honor; you are not going to catch me saying anything that isn't true. Basically, I am trying to give you a "heads up" on what you, as a middle of the pack paddler like me, can expect from each boards, including pointers on what isn't so positive for each board.

Granted, I could talk to you about Naish, and Jimmy Lewis boards, because I have tried them and even spent quite a bit of time on them, but not even close to the 100's upon 100's of miles spent on the Starboard. I'll let someone else with a lot more experience on Naish boards tell you about Naish.
Nelo SUP - 14' x 23"

photofr

• Peahi Status
  • Dakine… fun
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2016, 10:00:14 AM »
Have you had a chance to demo the 23" Allstar to compare stability to the 25?

Unfortunately, I have not yet set foot on the 14x23 allstar.
Honestly, I think that the Allstar 14x25 is too stable for me. Note: my strength is average or below average, endurance slightly above average, but my balance well above average. My best guess is that the 14x23 allstar would have been great for me, but the 14x25 is a really nice "piece of mind".

Today, for instance, a buddy of mine was able to go paddling with me; he used the allstar 14x25 in choppy conditions and loved it. I don't think he would have appreciated the 23 inches as much.
Nelo SUP - 14' x 23"

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal