Author Topic: Painting Carbon Fiber  (Read 3606 times)

JakeSupNC

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Painting Carbon Fiber
« on: April 27, 2016, 03:18:52 PM »
The what......14' BLACK carbon fiber M&M race board......well used with some fixed and needing fixed dings and torn up vinyl lettering.

The why....it already has some black spray paint on it from previous owner and fixes...and it is BLACk, gets hotter than sh!t

The whatever....I want to pretty it back up for no other reason than I want it to look nicer and cooler. It really is a great board, I love it and want to mess around with making it newer looking again. I'm not a "competitive" racer though I do dabble in a race or two here and there. Not to win, just to go. Saving every ounce is not a concern to me, I only race against the guy in last, to not be the guy in last. Is spray can with spray can gloss sealer (and obvious light grit standings in between) a ghetto way to go? I've heard that is how many "normal" board fixes are done, am I off base or can I make it look decent without risking trashing it?

It also has vinyl lettering that is pretty dinged up. I've emailed Boardworks to see about purchasing replacement lettering but have gotten zero response. My next step is the custom sign shop to see if they can replicate it accurately at reasonable cost. Any other better way to go?

Am I way off and better to just ride it as is or is what I'm asking reasonable?

Hope I'm not starting any don't ever paint carbon fights but really appreciate any info anyone has the time to spare.

Thanks

Jake

SlatchJim

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Painting Carbon Fiber
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2016, 03:48:28 PM »
I guess there's an aesthetical element to exposed carbon fiber on a board.  It's not worth the negatives.  As someone who's had two boards severely damaged by direct sunlight and melting foam, I'll never get another one unpainted.  I've seen fully painted Carbon Fiber boards last much longer.  As I understand it, the carbon fiber acts both to absorb heat because it's carbon black, and to magnify/focus the suns rays on the inner foam to melt what is immediately next to it.  I can show you pictures if you need proof.  Note that I didn't have any damage to the painted areas of my board, and both were exposed to the same heat and sun.

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2016, 06:26:01 PM »
You can do a low cost, brushed carbon look with a couple rattle cans of low luster enamel and some 400 grit wet/dry sand paper.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2016, 09:01:06 PM »
Painting the board white is a great idea. Light yellows eliminate a lot of the lower frequency light that translates to heat as well.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

JakeSupNC

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2016, 07:02:47 PM »
Thanks for the replies everybody. I should have been more clear, I have no intention on trying to reclaim pretty black like it was new or paint it black at all, I was thinking a medium or light color and new lettering. I've seen some melted board pics, might have even been yours Jim, not sure....either way I'm scared to death of that happening and hopefully can keep it at bay by lighter paint and paying attention.

I saw some pics on teh google of a fanatic board repair where they ended up painting the flying tiger teeth on a red race board, it looked pretty cool. Although it wouldn't be an original idea on my part it may intimidate my competition just enough to squeak out second to last place glory. :)

Thanks again for the replies

jrandy

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2016, 07:29:31 PM »
If I had a used board to paint, I'd go white pearl with a couple red racing stripes  and some hot rod flames where the paddle dings would be. No brand names, make them wonder what and who just blew by them.

http://pushheretosavealife.com/
Be safe, have fun. -J

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2016, 08:44:31 PM »
White epoxy appliance paint in spray can.  Ace

* Recent Posts

post Re: Sunova Faast Pro Allwater 14x27
[Classifieds]
gcs
Today at 01:22:14 PM
post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 16, 2024, 12:40:25 AM
post SIC Raptor Foil and Board For Sale
[Classifieds]
addapost
April 15, 2024, 04:25:26 PM
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 15, 2024, 02:40:38 PM
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal