Author Topic: Olukai 2016  (Read 17245 times)

digger71

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Olukai 2016
« on: April 25, 2016, 07:09:20 PM »
The OluKai Hoʻolauleʻa (downwind race) is this coming Saturday and I am headed to Maui to feed my downwind addiction once again!  Last year was my first time participating and I knew immediately that there would be many more in my future.  While the Maliko run itself is special on any given day, there is also something pretty cool about sharing it with 400 other paddlers.  I was blown away by the camaraderie and true aloha spirit displayed by all involved at last year's event, especially considering the level of talent present and the diversity of the field.

I did read that there will be a "staggered start" this year with the elite racers going off first.  Not sure that is the best solution but at least it will be more fair to those competing for top honors than it was in past years.

From the posts here and on FB, it looks like our resident Maui paddlers have had a pretty good run of wind lately.  Arriving on Wednesday and cannot wait to get in on it myself!  There isn't a lot that gets me excited about leaving San Diego but this is certainly one of those things :)

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Olukai 2016
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2016, 07:45:08 PM »
Today was awesome. Slightly onshore gusting to probably 35. Small groundswell from the north, so it was easy money. Wednesday we have a bit of swell coming, but the trades will still be good. Hope it stays good for the race. We've had a bunch of good days in a row.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

digger71

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2016, 01:52:35 PM »
If anyone is still looking for a board I have an F16 reserved at SIC for the race that I'm likely not going to be using. 

Planning on a 3pm run tomorrow - JR is running some sort of groups each day this week and I am jumping in for that one at least.

digger71

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2016, 09:00:34 PM »
Let me start with....I cannot believe you guys get to do this everyday!!

Maliko in these conditions is an absolute blast!  Tempted to do 2 a day but my body needs to get used to this type of workout - stand up surfing and flatwater don't hurt, but this is a whole different exertion pattern. Only fell 3 times  which is a minor miracle for me!  I've discovered you go a lot faster on top of your board ;)

And what a crowd already on Maui for the race!  In the last 2 days I've paddled with people from Australia (many of them), Cayman Islands, San Fran, Seattle, Charleston, and more.  Ho'olaule'a means celebration and it certainly has that feel already.  Looking forward to the weekend.

lpmaui

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2016, 09:50:06 PM »
Well, one thing for sure i have never seen so many Prius's with many downwind boards on top cruising thru Paia. Talk about an accident waiting to happen...

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2016, 12:04:00 AM »
Doesn't hurt that the wind and swell have been so cooperative. Not the usual praying and crying that goes on in a winter Maliko, but very spicy. Today was a really fine pace except for the end--we elected to come in at the harbor, and it was a pretty horrid last mile. Boyum and I both looked like walking wounded.

More fun tomorrow. I think we'll scope the tide a bit and go for something higher. The current was pretty wanky after Kanaha today. I almost got mowed at Pier One--big breaking wave. I had my head down, watching the energy, trying to catch bumps and didn't watch where I was going. that could have gone really badly.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

covesurfer

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2016, 12:36:09 AM »
I thought it was good the whole way today. Was glad we didn't go across the reef. I'm up for a mid day, 11 or 12 o clock, self shuttle run to the harbor again. Whatevers though. I stay calling you in the morning.

blueplanetsurf

• Site Sponsor
  • Teahupoo Status
  • Hawaii's SUP HQ
    • View Profile
    • Blue Planet Surf
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2016, 02:26:17 AM »
I'm heading to Maui tomorrow evening, so stoked to be able to be part of this great event again and do another Maliko run, see you on Saturday!
Robert Stehlik
Blue Planet Surf Shop, Honolulu
Hawaii's SUP HQ
http://www.blueplanetsurf.com

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2016, 10:59:57 AM »
I'm thinking we should just go to the harbor today. I don't like these short runs and coming over the reef. Cut my foot yesterday when I got tagged. I was flounder around in ten inches of water with swells breaking on me. My idea of big fun.

I would like a designated runner for the race today. 300 yards in the sand? I'm going to have to walk it, and take a few breaks to rest.  We Golden Masters should get an exception, or a wheelchair. Not fond of that class name BTW. Golden Masters sponsored by Depends. Tagline: "Is that a Depends(TM) in your boardshorts or are you happy to see me."

coldsup

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2016, 12:06:41 AM »
The lass I know from the UK was 12th out of the 40 women in the 14 ft class. She was the only person out of 313 riders on an inflatable....and a 12 6 too! She is a relative beginner at DW...what a result.

Off-Shore

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • HksupaHK SUP and Downwinding
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2016, 01:24:28 AM »
Amazing to see Connor won this again with a 2 minute lead over the next contestant... We were talking about this today and so keen to hear how other zoners faired in the race. We're hoping to get a crew out from Hong Kong for 2017
SB 9' x 33' x 4.1" - RPC 9'8" iSUP - SB All-Star 12'6" - Blue Planet Bump Rider 14 - SB Ace 14 x 27 - RedAir 14' Elite Race - SIC Bullet 14v1 TWC - SICMaui F16v3 Custom

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/HksupaHk_SUP_and_Downwinding

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2016, 09:16:07 AM »
I was somewhere down on the fourth page. I had a decent run going after a bad start, but floundered on the reef. Kept falling and falling. I think all the zoners did well. Nice day, fun race, excellent conditions,

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2016, 09:37:52 AM »
Here's some pics of the men's rec division start which was around 250.  Absolute gridlock before the horn inside the gulch.  You couldn't fit a dime between boards and the amebic mass slowly drifted towards the rocks on the right side where I was.  Guys on jet ski were trying to coral us backwards.  We just ignored them as we were all incapable of doing anything except move forward into open water.    I was on my knees along with everyone for way too long as there wasn't enough room to have your legs along side the board for good blood flow... a good thing at my age.  So when the horn did blow,  struggling to my feet was slow and wobbly while guys 30-40 yrs younger than me exploded into sprints churning the water into a maelstrom mess. 

My first goal was the buoy outside the gulch and kept my head down and hammered the best I could.  Boards were banging all around and then a few guys went down.  Like a highway accident in the fog, many more piled into the mayhem.  Boards got crossed up and a young frustrated boy, smaller than my grandson, gave me a shove.  Off I went, remounted and cleared the buoy tight. 

Fortunately the majority of the pack felt it necessary to continue on a line out to sea.  I knew that the finish didn't require that and bore off immediately downwind with a field clear of paddlers around me where all I needed to do was concentrate on glides.  It was good.  Real good.  Best race conditions ever.  The pic of me running in on an almost empty beach would usually mean I came in first or last but actually was right in the middle of the pack where I usually end up.  I just happened to come in on an empty gap which suits me fine.  Racing with those kind of numbers is a severe challenge for a geezer like me but got second as usual in the 60 and over.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2016, 09:43:33 AM by headmount »

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2016, 09:41:29 AM »
Another challenge is having hovering helicopters over you with heavy rotor wash and jetskis crossing your path just in front of you at ninety degrees.  In order to stay on my feet I had to short stroke and essentially stop when I encountered these. 

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2016, 09:56:17 AM »
J808 from the Big Island did very well.  It's a big hassle just to come inter island.  He did it and did well just over an hour.  Covesurfer and Southbay broke an hour.  All our paddling crew did well.  Our favorite gal, Kathy Shipman was in the lead with the elite women until the end when the water turned sloppy.  30 year old Sonni is a big strong gal and turned on her power and slid by her.  But second and in her 50s... pretty damn wild.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal