Author Topic: What are you using to keep your Gopro lens "mostly" water drop free?  (Read 5572 times)

Weeble

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
So I finally picked up a Gopro Session.  I liked that it was already waterproof and simple to work with.  I was just looking to document the paddles that we do down there in Fort Lauderdale, or as the city calls itself, "The Venice of the Americas".  We have so many waterways to paddle that weave thru the intracoastal, the mansions on the water, the river thru downtown, etc.  there's always something cool to see between the manatees, rolling tarpon, careless boaters and giant yachts/ party boats that we paddle with.  Anyway, I have it on one of those goose neck mounts out in front of my deckpad.  I paddle with it pointed forward to catch all the scenery and my fellow paddlers so that they can check out their strokes.  Anyway, my first trip ended up with some water drops that dried on the lens from some of the wakes we went over due to boats.  I read some posts at GoPro and saw that some people use RainX.  So, I gave it a try.  It's helping, but I was wondering if anyone had come up with anything better.
Faster than some, slower than most....
2015 Boga Typhoon 14 x 25.5 Team Edition
2013 Laird Bark Race 14
2012 Fanatic Fly Race 12.6 (the white one)
2015 Fanatic Allwave 9.5/ 2013 Fanatic Allwave 9.10
Ke Nalu Konihi 95 on an Elite 90 Flex
Ke Nalu Molokai on an Xtuf
Maliko Blade that gets interchanged

RATbeachrider

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Re: What are you using to keep your Gopro lens "mostly" water drop free?
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2016, 12:41:43 PM »
RainX plus a quick dip in the water and then a "flick" of the camera to remove the water.

southwesterly

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2016, 01:55:25 PM »
 I use the old spit and lick method.

Tom

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2016, 02:35:42 PM »
A pro photog friend of mine carries a sliced potato with him and rubs it on the lens every once in awhile. His pics are great.

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2016, 02:55:55 PM »
A pro photog friend of mine carries a sliced potato with him and rubs it on the lens every once in awhile. His pics are great.
Have you actually seen him do that on his own lenses? Or does he just tell everyone he knows to do it, and his pics are turning out better than theirs?   ;D

Tom

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2016, 04:35:03 PM »
Saw him do it on the fish eye housing of his Nikon, not sure if he makes French fries later

Dkyachtphoto

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
So I finally picked up a Gopro Session.  I liked that it was already waterproof and simple to work with.  I was just looking to document the paddles that we do down there in Fort Lauderdale, or as the city calls itself, "The Venice of the Americas".  We have so many waterways to paddle that weave thru the intracoastal, the mansions on the water, the river thru downtown, etc.  there's always something cool to see between the manatees, rolling tarpon, careless boaters and giant yachts/ party boats that we paddle with.  Anyway, I have it on one of those goose neck mounts out in front of my deckpad.  I paddle with it pointed forward to catch all the scenery and my fellow paddlers so that they can check out their strokes.  Anyway, my first trip ended up with some water drops that dried on the lens from some of the wakes we went over due to boats.  I read some posts at GoPro and saw that some people use RainX.  So, I gave it a try.  It's helping, but I was wondering if anyone had come up with anything better.
Hey Weeble,  I'm in Lauderdale too.  Have you been down to Whiskey Creek at John U Lloyd State Park or West Lake Park off of Sheridan? Both a nice change from the canals and ICW.

Dave

Weeble

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2016, 05:40:03 PM »
I've seen the licking thing!  It's just that usually once we get going in some splashy stuff, there's no time to stop to do that.  And, if I have fries on board?  I'm eating them!  LOL

@ Dave...We jump around a lot.  Two Saturdays ago our paddle group did the loop out of West Lake.  Launched from Holland Park ( I love that place when the high school rowing teams and the adult league rowing teams are there, so cool to watch that), and run north thru the ICW to the canal that runs along Sheridan Street... that canal can be a serious treadmill that will test your will when the tide is running..., then across the lakes on the backside back to Holland Park.  We do Whiskey Creek when we can go when the tide is up, otherwise you'll be pulling your fin out in there!  Normally we launch out of George English, go thru Victoria Park, hit the New River and fight it out to the ICW and then run the ICW back north to George English.  The New River and the ICW can break your heart when there is a lot of boat traffic, but great practice for dealing with big wakes and confused chop that will outright stall your board with it bounces back off the seawalls.  If my wife and I paddle before work on the weekday mornings, we live off the north fork of the New River, so we'll paddle to the fork and choose our direction based on the tide so that we fight it out and ride it back home.  Sometimes we go thru downtown to Victoria Park and back, or we'll take the south fork and run to the Cosmic Muffin and back.  And then of course, on early mornings when the Atlantic isn't a complete slop fest, we'll launch from the beach and go out for a lap around on the freighters anchored offshore.
2013 Laird Bark Race 14

SUP Sports ®

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Stoked For Life ®
    • View Profile
    • SUP Sports ®
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2016, 07:23:21 AM »
Lick it...lick it good!...;-)

https://youtu.be/t_mKWSJmj7o
Mahalos...{:~)

WARDOG ®
Owner/CEO  StandUp Paddle Sports®  &   SurfingSports®.com, Inc.

(805)962-SUPS (7877) store
(888)805-9978 toll free

Retail Store:
Standup Paddle Sports, LLC
121 Santa Barbara St.
Santa Barbara, CA 93101

Weeble

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2016, 07:51:46 AM »
that's awesome.  I guess I better get to licking'  (yeah yeah yeah, that's what she said)
2013 Laird Bark Race 14

coldsup

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2016, 01:05:47 AM »
Rainex here...best I have found. Licking not much good IMHO ...didn't work for me.

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2016, 09:21:47 AM »
Here's a related multi product test - 'missing spit however.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Vj9avZxuwI

Jim
Atlantis Mistress .. Blue Planet MultiTasker ..   Atlantis Venom

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal