Author Topic: How to find and choose instructors?  (Read 7102 times)

ruralwaters

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
How to find and choose instructors?
« on: April 23, 2016, 12:57:49 PM »
Hi,
I am new to the sport and am looking for some tips on how to find some solid basic instruction.  I see that many shops also give lessons.  Is there some sort of instructor certification or other criteria to use for finding good instructors?

Thanks!

JimK

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Big Guys can have fun too!
    • View Profile
Re: How to find and choose instructors?
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2016, 11:45:38 AM »
ACA is a good group
WPA has alot I'm not sure they have the best procedures

JimK

SlatchJim

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2016, 12:06:51 PM »
Where are you located?

yugi

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2016, 12:15:10 PM »
www.supracer.com keeps a world race result ranking. These are the guys (and girls) who really know their stuff.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2016, 12:46:26 PM »
There are a lot of good racers that don't know much about technique, and even some who do that haven't thought about any of the things beginners worry about for many years. If you can find someone who has had formal training (Paddlefit, ACA, PSUPA. ASI, etc.) plus experience then you should be in good shape for the basics. If you're looking for race training then you'll need to find a rare creature that pays attention to technique and is also fast. Dave Kalama, Larry Cain, Candace Appleby and Anthony Vela, etc..

And in the specialties like Downwinding there are lessons from Big Winds in Hood River, or here in Maui from Jeremy Riggs, Bill Boyum, or if you're flush with cash a private lesson from Dave Kalama. Dave also does Kalama Kamps in various locations. He's dialed the shorter technique--only camps back a bit, but the ones he taught in places like Hood River were great value for money, especially since the other instructor for most was Brody Welte, the founder of Paddlefit.

I don't know where you live, so it's hard to give a solid answer.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

ruralwaters

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2016, 07:36:39 PM »
Thanks for all the suggestions and insight.  I really appreciate your time.  I am a beginner and want to get a really solid foundation for whatever comes of this adventure.   I am located near Davis in northern California.  So, about 45 minutes to the Sacramento River and an hour to San Francisco Bay area.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2016, 07:42:21 PM by ruralwaters »

covesurfer

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2016, 07:41:20 PM »
Go to the ACA (American Canoe Association) website and click on 'Find an Instructor'. You can search geographically. Make note of the level of certification, 1,2, and 3. Level 3 is usually white water (rivers) or can be ocean surf, depending on where you are and what you want to learn. The website will tell you which Level 3 the particular instructor has the certification to teach.

I am right in the middle of getting certified for ACA Level 1 and 2, maybe 3 as well (my test is tomorrow, and I'm about to go study some more). In my opinion, the ACA cert process is very thorough. Any instructor coming out of Level 1 and 2 cert with ACA has a solid grasp of good teaching principles and fundamental techniques. Those fundamentals will literally be with you for your entire SUP career, whether you paddle for recreation, charge big waves or race flatwater or downwinders. The techniques that you will learn are truly fundamental to the sport.

I suspect that the other cert programs are probably also pretty good, WPA and Paddlefit. I chose ACA but I think the important thing is to go with an instructor that knows both how and what to teach. The stuff will stick with you and become a platform that allows you to enjoy paddling for a long time to come.

Off my soapbox now. Good luck.

ruralwaters

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2016, 07:46:13 PM »
Good luck on your testing tomorrow covesurfer!

blueplanetsurf

• Site Sponsor
  • Teahupoo Status
  • Hawaii's SUP HQ
    • View Profile
    • Blue Planet Surf
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2016, 08:46:59 PM »
This is the list of PSUPA certified instructors:

http://www.psupa.com/certified-instructors/
Robert Stehlik
Blue Planet Surf Shop, Honolulu
Hawaii's SUP HQ
http://www.blueplanetsurf.com

Fog City Rider

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2016, 10:19:32 PM »
There are some great paddlers & instructors in your neck of the woods.  California Canoe & Kayak in Rancho Cordova would be a good start, I used to work for the company and every SUP instructor there is ACA level 1 or 2 certified.  Going w/ an ACA instructor is a solid move, IMO we go over some basic principles & strokes that I've seen non-ACA instructors gloss over... 

David Wells & the guys @ 101 Surf Sports in San Rafael are excellent paddlers & instructors, too.  They live & breathe SUP and are the #1 shop in the bay area.     

If you decide to get really technical, you can always book a private with Jen Fuller in Sausalito.  She is a fantastic person & coach who trains most of the top racers in the Bay area.  She's also races & WINS against paddlers half her age.  Just look up Jen Fuller Fitness....
San Diego, CA
10'0 Naish Nalu Pro (2017 version)
9'0 Pearson Arrow Laird custom
9'3 Pearson Arrow custom (prone)
9'8 Takayama In the Pink (prone)

ruralwaters

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2016, 07:40:22 PM »
Thanks for your great suggestions Fog City Rider

@blueplanetsurf  Thanks for the list

1tuberider

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2016, 06:51:24 AM »
This sport is mostly self taught. Take every opportunity to get out and paddle. Then when
a clinic or class is available think about taking it to fine tune and improve. You will also
have questions from your experiences to work on.
Bouncing questions off zoners gets good replies and direction for you as you progress. This is a
great resource.

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2016, 11:49:07 AM »
R-W,  I am one who thinks I can pretty much figure how to do pretty much anything.. 'pretty much' ..and 1TR is probably correct; "This sport is mostly self taught."  ..but, I spend waaay too much time 'unlearning' chit when I didn't need to if only I had got some straight-up to begin with.  At least you started with the right question, so you're likely already on the right track.  SUP's tons-a-fun!

Jim
Atlantis Mistress .. Blue Planet MultiTasker ..   Atlantis Venom

ruralwaters

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2016, 05:26:58 PM »
@ 1tuberider  --  yep, nothing happens without putting the time in  ;)

@ Wetstuff -- Yes!  I've also spent soooo much time unlearning/relearning stuff in other sports, or life for that matter, that it's nice to have a chance to start fresh and learn it mostly right from the water up. 

Thanks everyone for all the great advice.

ruralwaters

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2016, 07:28:48 PM »
Thanks for all the great suggestions and advise.  I had a lesson from Pete at 101 Surf in San Rafael today.  My first time on a paddle board, or paddling, or on a board. LOL  Had a great lesson, learned tons, and had a terrific time.  I am hooked!

101 Surf is a cool shop.  The folks there were friendly, welcoming and spent plenty of time with us.  Looking forward going back soon. 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal