Author Topic: Hard board for flat water paddling  (Read 7091 times)

powermi

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
Re: Hard board for flat water paddling
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2016, 12:52:23 AM »
Would suggest a 2016 SB All Star 12'-6" x 25".  That would complement your 14x26" SB inflatable quite nicely and fit in your space.  The size of the 14x23.5 Ace is quite large and the board does tip a fair amount - so best to demo before buying that one.  Paddlers often either love or hate the Ace.  I quite like it as it is very fast in chop - but the size is simply a no go for us - just too massive to be stored on our boat or at home.

Insofar as improving technique - tons of free info on the web.  Just watch a few videos and copy the pros.  Best is to simply get on the water with a GPS and track your speeds over set distances.  Stack your shoulders - plant and pull with a vertical shaft while torquing your core - and get a quick recovery.  Intervals on the water help a bunch as well.  In no time your average speed will go up.  Also make sure your paddle is all carbon and lightweight - and sized correctly for you.  We spent $320 all in on 2 new SB Enduros last year - and those work perfectly fine.  As well a Werner Trance 84 adjustable we used on a demo day -worked perfectly fine as well.

Thanks a lot for the advice. My paddle is a Starboard HightAspect 2015 full carbon, before I had an Enduro 3pcs Tiki, and the difference is huge. As for the board, some one told me to try the sprint as I use to paddle on flat water, but maybe the 12,5 version doesn't have enough volume for me.

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2016, 10:18:17 AM »
According to SB - both the 2016 Sprint and All Star can float paddlers up to 85 kg.  And yes - if you intend to paddle only flat water - then the Sprint would be a good choice.  The All Star is more versatile is all.

The SB HA is an excellent paddle - we also have one of those.  Interestingly another Zoner sent me a PM about that paddle recently - as stock seems to be hard to come by in some parts of the States.  Our distributor in Canada told me some were still available up here.
Fast is FUN!   8)
Dominator - Touring Pintail - Bullet V2 - M14 - AS23

powermi

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2016, 11:46:21 AM »
I don't know if its my fault or not, but I can,t do better that about 8kph on the 14' inflatable. I am afraid that if I grab a hard board I am not going to improve my speed. BTW I am trying the David Kalama and Larry Cain style.

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1152516727

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2016, 12:30:42 PM »
Improvements in speed come mainly from improvements in technique and fitness. It's a common experience to find yourself going a remarkably similar speed no matter what you are paddling. The difference in speed going from a 12-6 to a 14ft board of the same design is around 3-6% for most people, whereas the improvements in speed you can get from training can be of the order of 5-20%. So if you want to go fast, work on technique and fitness first.

A friend of mine who was an experienced and very successful triathlete once said "I thought I was fit until I started SUP racing". The top guys in SUP are unbelievably fit, and have worked unbelievably hard on their paddling technique for thousands of hours. Don't expect to be able to do what they do until you are that fit and have put in that much effort.

Or, just go paddle, forget the GPS, and enjoy yourself. The choice is yours.

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2016, 12:46:54 PM »
Because you are at the upper weight limit for the board - you may be slower.  In that case your option is to go up to a 14 and try to find storage. 

If you have the option would visit a retailer to demo a 12'-6".  That is always the very best way - test firsthand yourself to cut out all speculation.  Source out one somewhere locally or in your travels to the ocean.

Every time we test boards or paddles or fins - talked about by others - our conclusions do differ somewhat because of our size strength weight balance ability and expertise.  Or lack thereof.    ;D

For speed - that takes time on the water coupled with good solid technique power balance and endurance.  Watching videos does help - as well as getting someone to take videos that you can play back in slo mo.  Major aspect is to always have fun - and the speed will eventually follow given enough time and effort.
Fast is FUN!   8)

powermi

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2016, 01:44:24 PM »
Thanks a lot, I will try to improve my fitness too.
I realized that if I even try to paddle quite hard, the speed is quite similar to relaxing paddling with good technique.
would you recommend any weightlifting routine specifically for Stand Up Paddling?

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2016, 02:05:09 PM »
We happen to have a very extensive weightlifting routine we do at home - coupled with calisthenics and yoga type stretches.  We do this on alternating days when we hike up our local mountains and then run down them at max speed.

The running downhill was made possible after switching to barefoot running a few years ago.  What works best for us is Vibrams with no lift or cushion - just 4mm or so of thin rubber.  Fantastic for building arches and proprioception over rocks and roots.  Interestingly has helped balance on our SUPs tremendously.

Again online is your best source for proper weightlifting technique reps and sets.  Build strength up slow and then add explosive power moves.  Any sort of HIIE is fantastic as well.  Best for back strength are heavy deadlifts - with hanging oblique ab exercises.

If this land training is done properly - when you go out on the water - SUP is super easy and non-taxing on your muscles and cardio system.  Clean diet - low body fat - and a high strength to weight ratio - are important as well of course.
Fast is FUN!   8)

powermi

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2016, 01:03:40 AM »
Now I have the chance of buying some used board in great condition in Spain, I have a couple in sight.
Starboard 2015 14x30 touring carbon construction. like new for 1100€.
SIC X14 x28 2014 SCC construction. Fantastic condition for just 1000€.

I was wondering if make sense to purchase one of these just for the plaisure of paddling on a hard board. Anyway I was thinking of keeping my astro racer inflatable board for trip and races.

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2016, 10:06:45 AM »
The 2014 SIC is much more sporty than the 2015 SB Elite Touring.  We have the older version Touring with the pintail design.  The new SB has a wider nose and a squared off tail.  It is quite a bit slower and more draggy than before.  I paddled one on a demo day and was surprised how much of a difference there was.  It is a lot more stable now and is a true "touring" board.  If you want more speed and performance -> get the SIC.
Fast is FUN!   8)

baddog

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 20, 2016, 03:50:53 PM »
Ditto on the 14' Elite Touring.  A beautiful board, but heavy and really slow to accelerate.  Top speed was good but compared to my 14 x 26.5 All Star, it was like an aircraft carrier.

PTee

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 26, 2016, 08:15:27 AM »
I don't know if its my fault or not, but I can,t do better that about 8kph on the 14' inflatable. I am afraid that if I grab a hard board I am not going to improve my speed. BTW I am trying the David Kalama and Larry Cain style.

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1152516727

I have the Astro Racer 12'6 x 26 (same storage issue as you for hardboards).  I've found I paddle with a slower stroke and a quick recovery to keep the board speed as constant as possible.  Yesterday was just under 6km at ~8km/h average, with a max of 11.1 so I wouldn't write off your inflatable just yet.

powermi

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 28, 2016, 12:47:57 PM »
I am reading some post about "old" Starboard boards that would be fun in flat water and the ocean, without the issue of storage.. like the Freeride, the blend and the 12'2 x26" Ku Nalu. any other old board that make sense to have in a limited space quiver?

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 28, 2016, 04:39:21 PM »
Now I have the chance of buying some used board in great condition in Spain, I have a couple in sight.
Starboard 2015 14x30 touring carbon construction. like new for 1100€.
SIC X14 x28 2014 SCC construction. Fantastic condition for just 1000€.

I was wondering if make sense to purchase one of these just for the plaisure of paddling on a hard board. Anyway I was thinking of keeping my astro racer inflatable board for trip and races.
I'd snap up that SIC X14 straight away. It's a really great touring/racer and very versatile.

hbsteve

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 28, 2016, 07:06:38 PM »
The Freeride is decently fast in flat water.  But, with the square rails any side chop makes it a tough ride.  Plus it weights about 32 lbs.  My Lahui Kai  tour board is 26  lbs. plus a few ounces, and much more forgiving in chop.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal