Author Topic: Wetsuit + boots recommendation (the usual)  (Read 1972 times)

badinbed

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
Wetsuit + boots recommendation (the usual)
« on: April 21, 2016, 02:00:49 PM »
Intro:
I have been stand up paddling exclusively on travels in warmer climates. Now I bought my own board and due to the local climate I will have to gear up in the wetsuit department. I am aware that over time I will need a collection of suits but for now I am locking something that will get me from April through October.

Conditions:
- 12.6" inflatable mostly going for distance at medium to medium-high speed
- flat water
- air temperature: 50°-75° F (10°-25° C), currently residing at the lower end of the range. Monthly Average high temperatures for the day never exceed 70° F (21° C) in my area
- water temperature: 46°-64° F (8°-18° C), currently sitting at 50°F (10° C) and raising slowly.
- Body: I am 6'1 (186 cm) and weigh around 175 lbs (80 Kg)
- I don't plan on taking many dives but it will eventually happen

I already searched the forum and found some helpful information but not exactly what I am looking for. The surfing community is quite new to my town and the retail offers in that department are sparse. I fear if i go there uninformed they will sell me something based on their inventory and not on my needs.

My thoughts so far:
I fear that a full steamer won't over me the freedom around my arms when going for higher frequencies so I was leaning towards a Long John or even a spring suit. I am not sure how it will feel though taking a dive and the lower end of water temperatures with that. Thickness I was thinking 3/2 after what I read. What are your thoughts?
Boots or shoes i really don't know. I read anything from 2 mm to 5 mm, shoes or boots. Recommendations welcome.

Size-wise I feel like i will have to go with medium-tall which might be slightly too short but i won't fill LT most likely. But once I find out what i should be aiming for I will try to locate a store nearby and try something on.

Any comments are welcome. I am neither a native speaker nor am I experienced in paddling so excuse my language. It might be off at times :)

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
Re: Wetsuit + boots recommendation (the usual)
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2016, 02:23:23 PM »
We are about the same size and I wear a medium tall.

Everyone is different on thickness. If you are dealing with temps from 50 to 75 you are going to need two wetsuits. I would use a full 4/3 and 3/2 for that temp range.
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300
Sunova Flow  8'10 X 31"  119L
Me - 6'0" - 165lbs - 66yo

Ichabod Spoonbill

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Hudson Valley, NY
    • View Profile
    • HVH2O
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2016, 04:23:25 PM »
This is what I do, and I deal with temperatures from ice to 83ºF.

My main suit is an NRS Farmer John. I have a 2.5 mm, but if I had a do-over, I would get the 3 mm. Consider that your basic suit and layer yourself appropriately around that. When it's cold I wear a 1.5 mm jacket over that. When it's hot, I wear just a long sleeve rash guard.

The farmer john gives you the arm freedom, and the jacket lets you layer up when you need the protection. When things get in the 40s, this is not enough protection, but it's good for anything above that.

When it's really cold, I go for a full 4/5 wetsuit, but it has to be real winter conditions for that.

With boots, you should go thick. Remember that this is what will be in the water the most. Also, avoid the gel soles that you get with certain booties and go for solid soles. I found the gel soles caused my calfs to cramp up on longer distances. Again, you might want to have a 5 mm pair and maybe a 2 mm pair. I only have the 5 mm bootie, and I just wear them until I don't need a bootie. Since my feet are always wet, this isn't such an issue.
Pau Hana 11' Big EZ Ricochet (Beluga)

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2016, 04:46:54 PM »
See what I mean? Everyone is different when it comes to wetsuit thickness.

It all depends on how easily you get cold and what you can afford.

Ultimately, you would want a different thickness suit for every 10 to 15 degrees of temperature. A lot of us try to push the limits by layering or even wearing two suits. I'll often wear my 2mm shorty over my 4/3 if it's around 50 degrees. Then maybe an impact vest over that if it's windy.

« Last Edit: April 21, 2016, 04:51:08 PM by Badger »
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300
Sunova Flow  8'10 X 31"  119L
Me - 6'0" - 165lbs - 66yo

badinbed

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2016, 05:10:46 PM »
thank you so much to both of you.

I know everyone has a different opinion about this but it really helps me getting started. I am leaning towards 5 mm Boots, a 3 mm long john  with optional jacket and a 4/3 full steamer for the bad days. I am already trying to locate retail stores rund me to do some fitting.

I appreciate your comments.

Ichabod Spoonbill

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Hudson Valley, NY
    • View Profile
    • HVH2O
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2016, 05:11:40 PM »
Try nrs.com for the farmer johns.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pau Hana 11' Big EZ Ricochet (Beluga)

leecea

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2016, 07:59:19 PM »
I'm just over 6' and 180lbs and I have the Stohlquist Men's Rapid John: http://www.amazon.com/Stohlquist-Rapid-Wetsuit-Black-X-Large/dp/B0096HRP6K.  I also have a STOHLQUIST Men's 1 mm CoreHeater Shirt in Large: http://www.amazon.com/Stohlquist-Mens-1mm-Coreheater-Shirt/dp/B004B1ZR7U.

zachhandler

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2016, 08:04:51 PM »
I paddle ice water to warm water in a temperate climate. Ichabod's advice is spot on as far as what to buy. Thick bootues for sure. Farmer john is very versatile. Remember it has to be snug to be effective.

Just bear in mind what a 3mm farmer john with or without a jacket will and will not do. It will allow you to fall many many times in 50 degree water, climb back on the board, and be fine, even if the air is cool and windy. What it will not do is keep you alive for hours bobbing in 50 degree water waiting to be rescued. So just consider the risks of the route and conditions as you pick your wardrobe for any particular outing.

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2016, 08:41:20 PM »
We are in the lower range of your air/water temp scale right now and for flat water paddling, I've switched to board shorts, long sleeve paddle jersey, paddle jacket, 5 Fingers shoes and beanie.  Prior to that, same but with a farmer john.

* Recent Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal