Author Topic: Sports Chalet will be closing all of its stores  (Read 7546 times)

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Sports Chalet will be closing all of its stores
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2016, 11:21:43 AM »
There is also talk that Bass Pro Shops is interested in buying Cabela’s."
I heard that Bass Pro Shops was also trying buy Guitar Center, but the deal fell through because they couldn't agree on how to pronounce "Bass Guitar Center".

cnski

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2016, 01:30:25 PM »
Backcountry.com is taking over the world.

lucabrasi

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2016, 01:45:09 PM »
Backcountry.com is taking over the world.
at least my house at times it seems.

Easy Rider

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2016, 04:34:33 PM »
Times are tough. 
Learn to adapt - or die. 
Easy Rider is the name of my store in Edmonton, AB, Canada.
My name is Warren Currie . . . and we SUP Surf indoors . . . in a shopping mall!

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2016, 04:08:09 PM »
Times are tough. 
Learn to adapt - or die.
Easier said than done for brick and mortars. 

With minimum wage going up to $15/hr. in some places for shelve-stockers, and check stand clerks, and new(er) phenomenon of "Showrooming" (going to the brick and mortar to try-on, examine, test out merchandise, and then go to the Internet to purchase what is finally decided upon) makes it tough for any of these kinds of businesses to compete with the huge "online clearinghouses" (AMZN) or even worse the "drop shippers" who only have to create some cheap, yet fancy looking website to sell "their" wares....but never have to invest a single dime in inventory or warehousing it, and simply attract their "clientele" through all of the various social media sites so easily accessible.

It's a wonder more "specialty" stores aren't going under, but unfortunately....I think we're only seeing the tip of the iceberg with SC, and SA.  So the real question is....."who's next?".   :(

Me: 6'1"/185...(2) 5'1" Kings Foil/Wing Boards...7'10 Kings DW Board...9'6" Bob Pearson "Laird Noserider"...14' Lahui Kai "Manta"...8'0" WaveStorm if/when the proning urges still hit.

surf4food

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2016, 05:15:59 PM »
It's a wonder more "specialty" stores aren't going under, but unfortunately....I think we're only seeing the tip of the iceberg with SC, and SA.  So the real question is....."who's next?".   :(

Some seem to be thriving (like REI).  Perhaps it's because the things they "specialize" are purchased by people who want to see and touch the item in person before being.  Plus with co-op stores like REI, people DO actually care about the business practices.  There is a little independent neighborhood bike shop that opened a coulee years ago just up the street from my house and it's dong VERY well.

starman

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2016, 05:49:24 PM »
Both Sports Chalet and Sports Authority were purchased by hedge funds a few years ago. Game plan is usually to stick the companies with tons of debt and suck all the assets out until they die. The managers in charge of day to day operations are given the impossible task of making a profit while under a mountain of debt.

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2016, 06:28:25 AM »
...and Backcountry was sold in July to a private equity firm.  Among other things, competition from the massive closeout inventories from these failing mega-tailers has put incredible pressure on the industry at all levels.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2016, 06:30:02 AM by Admin »

Easy Rider

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2016, 12:15:29 PM »
Times are tough. 
Learn to adapt - or die.

With minimum wage going up to $15/hr. in some places for shelve-stockers, and check stand clerks, and new(er) phenomenon of "Showrooming" (going to the brick and mortar to try-on, examine, test out merchandise, and then go to the Internet to purchase what is finally decided upon) makes it tough for any of these kinds of businesses to compete with the huge "online clearinghouses" (AMZN) or even worse the "drop shippers" who only have to create some cheap, yet fancy looking website to sell "their" wares....but never have to invest a single dime in inventory or warehousing it, and simply attract their "clientele" through all of the various social media sites so easily accessible.

I am a brink and mortar store - and have been for 30+ years.   It's not that hard to adapt and change . . . as long as you are paying attention.
My name is Warren Currie . . . and we SUP Surf indoors . . . in a shopping mall!

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: May 09, 2016, 01:02:41 PM »
If you're in tune with your local market, you can survive as a brick and mortar store. The big name surf stores along our SoCal beach communities (Rip Curl, Jack's, Becker and Hobie) are mostly clothing / wetsuit stores with very little board inventory. The true brick and mortar surf shops (Infinity, Timmy Patterson, Stewart's, Harbour, Greg Noll, Brawner, Velzy, etc.) make their own boards, and sell their own brand clothing. Not a lot of fins or leashes, just enough to sell with their boards. Stickers and wax, the way it's always been.
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 09, 2016, 01:50:28 PM »
Times are tough. 
Learn to adapt - or die.

I am a brink and mortar store - and have been for 30+ years.   It's not that hard to adapt and change . . . as long as you are paying attention.
The closing of the big stores seems like the next step in a logical progression.  First there were small stores.  Then bigger stores with more stuff and cheaper prices (but not necessarily cheaper for the same quality).  They saved expenses having less knowledgeable staff and worse service.  So people could shop at the small stores, then buy at the big ones.  Then came the internet, with even more stuff and even cheaper prices.  So people could shop at the big stores, then buy on the internet.  The internet did to big stores what big stores did to small ones.  Since the big stores attracted people with price and inventory, it only makes sense that their customers would leave when they found more and cheaper stuff elsewhere.

Meanwhile, small ones that survived still have the best knowledge and service, and maybe even the best selection when you set aside all the crap the big stores have that isn't worth buying, so they are still the best places to patronize.   

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: May 11, 2016, 08:21:42 AM »
This is what it looks like market wise with the "Internet Store" vs. traditional "Brick and Mortars"....

Just so you don't have to look up the symbols, in order on the list:  Amazon, Kohls, Target, Best Buy, Ralph Lauren, Tiffany & Co, The Gap, Staples, Macy's, Office Depot, Fossil, Sears.

Me: 6'1"/185...(2) 5'1" Kings Foil/Wing Boards...7'10 Kings DW Board...9'6" Bob Pearson "Laird Noserider"...14' Lahui Kai "Manta"...8'0" WaveStorm if/when the proning urges still hit.

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #27 on: May 11, 2016, 09:13:28 AM »
Amazon just announced 2 "hour" free delivery in Orlando.

Brick and mortar should be terrified in Orlando.

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 11, 2016, 09:32:25 AM »
if a higher minimum wage will put a brick and mortar under, that brick and mortar was shot to begin with.

brick and mortar, for those who havent been nimble, has been failing for 15 years--long before today's discussion of increased minimum wage.
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

Easy Rider

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 12, 2016, 02:50:26 PM »
Meanwhile, small ones that survived still have the best knowledge and service, and maybe even the best selection when you set aside all the crap the big stores have that isn't worth buying, so they are still the best places to patronize.    [/size]

THANK YOU!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal