Author Topic: What board would ya'll recommend?  (Read 5710 times)

white water

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
What board would ya'll recommend?
« on: April 16, 2016, 12:41:51 PM »
I am looking for a board to surf with, yet also be able to flat water a little bit next to the wife. Right now, I have a 11' Yolo Coastal Cruiser which was my first board. I flatwater  it and also fish off of it. I have tried surfing on it but is very difficult to catch waves with, is very slow once it does, and it does not turn very easy. In other words, its a dud on waves.
   I am 52, 6'1", 210 lbs. I have body boarded all my life. in the last few years, I got into Kayak surfing, but have never really surfed on a surf board. I frequent the Florida Gulf Coast and some on the east Fla. coast as well. Most waves I encounter are Shin to chest high. I was thinking about the Fanatic Allwave @9'4" or the Riviera Turbo Nugg at 9'2:
11' Yolo Coastal Cruiser (1st board ever)
9'3" Stu Sharpe Honeybadger
8’11” Sunova SP25

Ichabod Spoonbill

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Hudson Valley, NY
    • View Profile
    • HVH2O
    • Email
Re: What board would ya'll recommend?
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2016, 01:43:57 PM »
I've surfed an NSP 9'8" in Florida, although on the Atlantic Coast. A good board for those conditions, although you might want something bigger. Some of those surf models have tie-downs for flatwater, in case you want to shlep stuff like a water bottle.

http://distressedmullet.com/2016/03/14/gear-review-nsp-98-elements-sup-surf-board/

Bic has some boards which are good hybrid surf/flatwater boards. You might want to look in the 9'–10' range. There are lots of other boards too, but most of that size tend to bias towards waves. Not that you can't just flatwater paddle a surf-style board. Are there any shops that might allow you to demo something?
Pau Hana 11' Big EZ Ricochet (Beluga)

gone_foiling

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2016, 07:48:30 PM »
I would seriously look into JP Fusion line or Imagine Icon. Great boards to surf and flat water paddle. Imagine icon will have a little more stability and both are equally easy to catch waves.
Addicted to foiling at the moment.
My shenanigans on insta @gone_foiling

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2016, 11:14:13 PM »
You can't go wrong with a Fanatic AllWave.  They are great boards and loved by many members here on the Zone.  I used to have one, sold it, and now I regret selling it. 

Part of you problem catching waves could also be a lack of experience.  Keep trying and that will fix itself. 
« Last Edit: April 16, 2016, 11:17:57 PM by Zooport »
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

supthecreek

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2016, 03:38:02 AM »
Whitwater, you should PM "mdsurf" here on the Zone
He is in the North Florida area, and has a 10'2 Sunova Surf that you could demo in the conditions you will be using it. Fairly light and good surfer, while remaining a very good flat-water cruiser as well.

md can also hook you up with other boards to try... plus, he's a really nice guy  :)

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2016, 06:55:13 AM »
+1 creek

also that you have body-boarded helps tons, believe it or not---yeah , on sup, you are standing etc, but if youve bodyboarded in decent waves, you understand timing issues and where to be to paddle in--that's big start, compared to beginners whove spent little time in waves
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

white water

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2016, 07:32:08 PM »
I am ripping the waves up in my surf kayak, so I know where I need to be when it comes to catching waves. I have demoed a 9'2" turbo Nugg on flat water. It has  152 liters flotation. I did fine. I guess what I really need to know is if I should be looking at shorter boards, say in the 8 or 8 1/2 ft. range. I was comfortable paddling the Nugg on flatwater. I am sure there would be a learning curve to to surf a board smaller. I want it more for surfing than flatwater. Is it easier to catch waves on an 8fter than a 9'2"? Or due to my weight, I should stick with the 9 footers and up?
8’11” Sunova SP25

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2016, 06:11:34 AM »
i am 57 6'2" 200, and have been surfing sup for several years now--i love my all wave 8'11"--seem to look forward to coming back to it after I stray

this, tho, is more about size than brand--i would be surprised if you would enjoy a board shorter than the mid 8 ft range, less voluminous than, say, 130 liters.
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

JimK

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Big Guys can have fun too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2016, 08:14:46 AM »
Whitewater,

The AW is head and shoulders above (newer design) than the Nugg not to mention Fanatic construction is amazingly durable and reasonably light
Size wise I would stick  to about 9Ft great surfing (like a shortboard Fish Makes everyday waves FUN) Plus there are some KILLER DEALS on 2015 AW right now

On the other had if you are looking for a more longboard ride I gotta +1 to creek on the Sunova Surf These are not your beginner longboards (unless you over size them) these are high performance rail to rail with nice nosing performance longboards

Either way we can help you out
PM or email me for details and ZONER DEAL prices
JimK
Extreme Windsurfing

white water

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2016, 05:17:36 PM »
So, I contacted MDSURF. He agreed to let me demo 4 of his boards this Sunday in JAX. Sounded like a real nice guy. I'm stoked! I'll let ya'll know how it goes.
8’11” Sunova SP25

mdsurf

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2016, 06:23:18 PM »
Looking forward to a paddle out and catching some waves with you WW.  Hopefully we will have some waves and some of the Jax Crew to paddle out with us.

white water

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2016, 05:20:11 AM »
8'8" Sunova too small
10'2" Sunova too big
9'3" Stu Sharpe just right
Doing a little more research, but will likely pul the trigger on the Honey Badger.
Thanks so much MD.
Monday was head high in Pensacola. It was all I could do on the 11' Yolo
8’11” Sunova SP25

baldbull

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2016, 06:36:10 AM »
If you are having problems catching waves on an 11 foot board a shorter one isn't going to help you catch them any better unless your 11 footer is super heavy making it impossible to get speed on it. You need more practice or surf lessons. The longer the board the easier it is to catch waves. This is why people usually learn to surf on a long/fun board rather than a small shortboard/fish. Bodyboarding and kayak surfing definitely help but its still a whole other element when you are standing. Ive been surfing for 30 years and it took me several sessions before I could even catch a wave and a few more to really get it when I went to a SUP. The only thing the smaller board is going to help with is carving. It might actually be tougher to catch the waves on something smaller. You need to go out on knee-waist high days and practice on that 11 foot board for hours before you try to take it out when its chest+ in FL.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2016, 06:38:18 AM by baldbull »

SlatchJim

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2016, 07:04:12 AM »
Doing a little more research, but will likely pul the trigger on the Honey Badger.
Thanks so much MD.
It's true what they say, A demo is worth a thousand recommendations.  :)

white water

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2016, 08:18:04 AM »
 It's not that I could not catch waves, once I caught one I believe the design of that particular board did not allow me to turn very easily . It also is very heavy with a single long fin.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2016, 08:19:45 AM by white water »
8’11” Sunova SP25

* Recent Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal