Author Topic: Thor's Hammer  (Read 9960 times)

SUP Sports ®

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Stoked For Life ®
    • View Profile
    • SUP Sports ®
    • Email
Thor's Hammer
« on: April 14, 2016, 12:41:02 PM »
We did it!!!
We just finished Steve's "Thor's Hammer" fishing SUP board build project...11'6" x 40" x 5.25" @ 301 liters...heading to Pennsylvania for Steve...

It came in a little under 30#...vacuum bagged bamboo deck with PVC reinforcement...lots of RAM mounts for fishing accessories...and, extra tie-downs...etc...it's still getting a custom laser cut pad and board bag...but, the hard work is done...

I think that this is one of the widest SUPs ever built in North America...maybe the world...

http://supsports.com/standup-padd…/california-custom-series/

#stokedforlife ‪#‎thorshammer‬ ‪#‎madeinusa‬ ‪#‎sup‬ ‪#‎supfish‬ ‪#‎supfishing ‬#thorshammer #madeinusa #sup #supfish #supfishing
Mahalos...{:~)

WARDOG ®
Owner/CEO  StandUp Paddle Sports®  &   SurfingSports®.com, Inc.

(805)962-SUPS (7877) store
(888)805-9978 toll free

Retail Store:
Standup Paddle Sports, LLC
121 Santa Barbara St.
Santa Barbara, CA 93101

SUP Sports ®

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Stoked For Life ®
    • View Profile
    • SUP Sports ®
    • Email
Re: Thor's Hammer
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2016, 05:14:44 PM »
We got Steve's custom laser cut faux teak pad today and it's now installed...also, assembled his nose and tail handles...provisioned for shoulder strap...RSPro installed on rails...finally, we're putting it in his custom bag and shipping it out to Pennsylvania Monday...

Lots of RAM mounts for transducers...LED light systems...rod holders...or, whatevers...

WARDOG ®

(888)805-9978 toll free

Retail Store:
121 Santa Barbara St.
Santa Barbara, CA 93101

lucabrasi

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2016, 07:33:43 PM »
Pretty sweet. I like.
Why did he choose or you recommend the Hammer over your One World? Is it because the Hammer is already wider and you can....blow it up and keep it true to itself? The wider tail? I am thinking the wider tail but got no clue about the real differences between the two.  Where will he be paddling.......river, lake, ocean, all? Did he add another layer of glass than "usual"?
If I went to......12'6" x  34" or so how thick would it need to be to be around 275-300 liters? I would actually prefer longer if could but can start there.

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2016, 08:25:24 PM »
Beauty.....SUV of SUP
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2016, 07:53:19 AM »
Wow, That's remarkable. I don't want one, but it's very cool.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

SUP Sports ®

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Stoked For Life ®
    • View Profile
    • SUP Sports ®
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2016, 08:47:31 AM »
Pretty sweet. I like.
Why did he choose or you recommend the Hammer over your One World? Is it because the Hammer is already wider and you can....blow it up and keep it true to itself? The wider tail? I am thinking the wider tail but got no clue about the real differences between the two.  Where will he be paddling.......river, lake, ocean, all? Did he add another layer of glass than "usual"?
If I went to......12'6" x  34" or so how thick would it need to be to be around 275-300 liters? I would actually prefer longer if could but can start there.

Yeah, definitely sweet...especially, when you go to pick it up...;-)
I'd like a scaled down version...but, I know I could surf Thor's Hammer...;-)

The Hammer planform, rocker, bottom contours, and volume distribution...etc...helps it to be more stable with better glide and tracking, than boards that are wider and longer...

http://supsports.com/standup-paddle-boards/hammer-series/

The volume in the "Chisel Tail" definitely aids in stability when moving aft on the board...and, allows me to more efficiently distribute the volume...plus, it allows the rails to be more parallel for better tracking...

In Steve's own words...I am a big guy 6.4 weighing 370. I paddle mostly on slow flowing rivers and lakes – occasionally (once or twice a year) in small surf on the NC outer banks.

As for the build, we vacuum bagged high density PVC foam in the standing area like we do on our production boards...with extra reinforcement with "Ballis-Tech" (ballistic) cloth...and, the bamboo veneer...

We installed three 10" center boxes with zero toe-in and cant for better tracking and glide...he'll be using my 9.25" FreeWeed fin in the center box and my 7.5" FreeWeeds in the side boxes...

http://supsports.com/sup-fins/

I should also point out that we installed 6 RAM mounts on his board so he can trick it out with LED lights, rod holders, transducers...etc...in addition to the 10 regular leash plugs for handles, shoulder strap, and tie-downs...

I played around with your dims on my CAD shaping program and at 12'6" x 34" x 5.25" it nets out at 278.4 liters...the hammer looks really nice at that length...

« Last Edit: May 07, 2016, 08:52:37 AM by SUPsports »

WARDOG ®

(888)805-9978 toll free

Retail Store:
121 Santa Barbara St.
Santa Barbara, CA 93101

lucabrasi

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2016, 05:48:59 PM »
I played around with your dims on my CAD shaping program and at 12'6" x 34" x 5.25" it nets out at 278.4 liters...the hammer looks really nice at that length...
Yes, it does. Very nice.
The more questions or discussion I have on this........the closer I will get to doing something. That's good but I probably shouldn't be looking at another board quite yet since I am starting the season with two new ones BUT....
Mast insert?
Any reason couldn't put another fin box on the bottom to use like a dagger board?
(If I going to goof off with a sail, why not?? I have no clue)
Scotty rather than RAM? Both?
Handle like on a SIC board?
Any or all possible?
Any reason not to go something that size?
That's all for now tho add anything you wish.
Thanks.

SUP Sports ®

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Stoked For Life ®
    • View Profile
    • SUP Sports ®
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2016, 09:16:08 AM »
Aloha Mike,
Sorry that I didn't see your questions earlier...we were up on a mountain/river/lake adventure...

Q: Mast insert?
A: Absolutely...the Hammer is a great windSUP...sails wonderfully...fast rocker and lots of waterline...bottom contours promote early planing...

http://blog.surfingsports.com/2016/02/rashelles-hammer-windsup.html

Q: Any reason couldn't put another fin box on the bottom to use like a dagger board?
A: No reason at all...but, really not necessary as the Hammer inherently has great tracking and high AOA's...parallel rails with lots of waterline...

One thing that we did for Steve...and, I'd recommend for you, is to drop two of the sidebiter boxes and then we install the remaining two with zero toe-in and zero cant...that would end up giving you a bit more upwind bite...without adding much drag...

We could also install a deep Tuttle box in case you wanted to use a fixed daggerfin...we have a bunch of Tuttle box daggers...or, add a foil for DW or windfoiling...;-)

Q: Scotty rather than RAM? Both?
A: I really like RAM mounts...made in USA...we are a dealer...check out their catalog...

http://issuu.com/rammount/docs/rammountpaddlesports2013lowres?e=13067616/10157353

http://www.rammount.com/activity/kayak-mounts

Q: Handle like on a SIC board?
A: I really like our new handles...SUPer comfy...and, we could add an optional shoulder sling mount like we did on Steve's for hand's free carrying...

Q: Any reason not to go something that size?
A: Absolutely not...I'd love one for myself...;-)
« Last Edit: May 29, 2016, 09:42:39 AM by SUPsports »

WARDOG ®

(888)805-9978 toll free

Retail Store:
121 Santa Barbara St.
Santa Barbara, CA 93101

lucabrasi

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2016, 07:27:45 PM »
Thanks. I thought I saw somewhere else you mentioned you were out and about up north.
I will give all this thought...perhaps too much for my own good......
Is this the RAM mount you put in? When I think RAM I think of this ball sticking up and I don't seem to see them on Thor's Hammer so there must be some sort of insert.? which is good.
I like the idea of the zero toe, zero cant fins for sure.
Light is good and light is wanted and desired for sure but my stuff gets bashed. More worried about the bottom than the standing area. Way rocky many places I seem to frequent or end up. Would another layer of carbon on the bottom add to durability but keep weight down? Would another layer of glass add too much weight? I know I can find the answer somewhere here but....
"As for the build, we vacuum bagged high density PVC foam in the standing area like we do on our production boards...with extra reinforcement with "Ballis-Tech" (ballistic) cloth...and, the bamboo veneer....
What is the "Ballis-Tech"?
The PVC foam. Is that like a JL build?
Would painted epoxy be more durable than the bamboo?
I like the grab handles on the ends as well.
All for now....
Not sure whether to thank you for posting this build or not.
 ;)

SUP Sports ®

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Stoked For Life ®
    • View Profile
    • SUP Sports ®
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2016, 07:00:29 AM »
Aloha Mike,
Pics show the mix of inserts that we installed on Steve's board...the RAM inserts look similar to conventional leash plugs...and, can function as such...
The jaws on the bottom of the RAM ball mounts simply twist into the bar in the cup...then, the world is your oyster as far as what you want to connect up...

https://youtu.be/DmnTB-Q0z_s

https://youtu.be/CbP2z6IgFfs

https://youtu.be/8k38DeYW6wM

https://youtu.be/i9MzwGqBfcE

"Ballis-Tech" is a ballistic material that we are using...similar to Kevlar...but, we can resin tint it...
Since Steve is 370#, we used the high density PVC foam in the standing area...bamboo veneer adds impact resistance...

This board came in right under 30#...light, bright, & built right...really amazing...

WARDOG ®

(888)805-9978 toll free

Retail Store:
121 Santa Barbara St.
Santa Barbara, CA 93101

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal