Author Topic: DIY accessories for my new BOTE SUP  (Read 15292 times)

clinto

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
DIY accessories for my new BOTE SUP
« on: April 13, 2016, 08:13:52 AM »
i just got my new 12' BOTE Flood a few weeks ago. Between the price of the board and paddle i have no more cash for accessories. BOTE makes a tackle rack for fishing but it runs $200. For $20 i made one out of PVC. Pic shows the mock up after all cuts made. Im going to router out notches for my flyrod in the rod holder part and paint it all black. Wont work for a leaning post but will be great for storage.

Then i wanted something for my 2 year old to be able to ride on and be somewhat secure. I remembered i had a nice canoe seat in the attic and proceeded to rig up a system with leftover bungees from my wifes kayak. I can unhook and remove it easily. The location of tie downs and glassed in loops on this board lined up so perfect. I then set up some foam pieces under the seat so it wouldn't scratch the board. Going to secure them to the seat so there is no room for error.

I just had to share with you guys. Nothing like having a $1600 SUP with ghetto rigged accessories!  ;D

Off-Shore

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • HksupaHK SUP and Downwinding
Re: DIY accessories for my new BOTE SUP
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2016, 08:32:38 AM »
Clinto. That looks like an awesome set up for you and your 2 year old. And that $20 tackle rack is pure genius. Looking forward to a picture of that first fish you catch on this rig.  :)
SB 9' x 33' x 4.1" - RPC 9'8" iSUP - SB All-Star 12'6" - Blue Planet Bump Rider 14 - SB Ace 14 x 27 - RedAir 14' Elite Race - SIC Bullet 14v1 TWC - SICMaui F16v3 Custom

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/HksupaHk_SUP_and_Downwinding

Dkyachtphoto

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2016, 12:18:44 PM »
That's awesome, if I hadn't already bought my TR  I would have made one of those! Is it fairly solid now that it's glued together?

How are you liking the Flood? I just got a Ahab for me and the 12' HD for my wife. We love them so far, a little disappointed in their finish quality and fragile surface however. I'd definitely recommend using some of the Rail Saver Pro on your rails. After 1 use it had several small dings and I barely bumped them. I also used the "3M Scotchgard Clear Bra Paint Protection Bulk Film Roll" for the front  3 or 4 feet of the hull and nose.

Dave
« Last Edit: April 13, 2016, 12:45:06 PM by Dkyachtphoto »

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2016, 12:45:00 PM »
Very cool. I'd consider getting some aluminum conduit and bending the outer frame of that rack. Even just falling into the PVC is going to break stuff. You can still use the crossbar rod holder, just find PVC T's that slip over the conduit and glue or screw them into place.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

clinto

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2016, 02:02:58 PM »
I am loving the Flood. Havent had it out more than a few times but i have no issues. The paint is something that could be improved. Its car paint on top of the glass so i kind of expected the fragile surface. Mine is the matte paint scheme so it really shows everything. I was sold more on the shape and features of BOTE boards. The overall build quality beyond the paint seems top notch.

For strength on the tackle rack, i was thinking about inserting dowels into the main rise of the pvc frame which would go up more than 3/4 of the length. Then sealing it from the bottom with spray foam. I plan on buying the real deal in the future but just cant right now. I havent glued it just yet, but think it will be plenty solid once i do.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2016, 02:33:26 PM »
Could work, though PVC pipe fails near the joints because of the stress risers caused buy the diameter differences, so the dowels might contribute to the failure rather than prevent it. I know more than I wish I did about PVC frame construction failures. My first attempt at a SUP storage frame dumped my boards on the garage floor.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

krash

• Rincon Status
  • Old fugger who loves to fish
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2016, 03:42:02 PM »
That's awesome, if I hadn't already bought my TR  I would have made one of those! Is it fairly solid now that it's glued together?

How are you liking the Flood? I just got a Ahab for me and the 12' HD for my wife. We love them so far, a little disappointed in their finish quality and fragile surface however. I'd definitely recommend using some of the Rail Saver Pro on your rails. After 1 use it had several small dings and I barely bumped them. I also used the "3M Scotchgard Clear Bra Paint Protection Bulk Film Roll" for the front  3 or 4 feet of the hull and nose.

Dave

Dave couple questions, now you have both the Ahab and a 12' HD...
1) How do they compare paddling ?
2) Is the Ahab more or less delicate than the HD's.. I figured the several few pounds difference was additional layers of glass and epoxy.
Old fugger who just likes to fish

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2016, 05:09:37 PM »
Nicely done...I like homemade accessories better than retail if done right, easiest way to get exactly what you want.

I wouldn't use large dowels and try to fit it in the PVC. You want something that will add strength but allow the stress to spread out. Get a bunch of those 1/4" dia. bamboo tomato stakes that are 3 to 4 feet long and bundle them so they fit a little snug then foam the whole thing in place. I'd drill a small hole in the backside of the bottom tee and inject foam until it comes out the bottom. Paint for sure or the PVC won't last long in your FL sun.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2016, 05:15:56 PM by stoneaxe »
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

lucabrasi

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2016, 05:17:03 PM »
yeah, pretty cool. Thanks for posting.

Dkyachtphoto

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2016, 06:04:04 PM »

Dave

Dave couple questions, now you have both the Ahab and a 12' HD...
1) How do they compare paddling ?
2) Is the Ahab more or less delicate than the HD's.. I figured the several few pounds difference was additional layers of glass and epoxy.
Krash, they are almost identical in terms of being "fragile". The weight difference is from a longer thicker board. I will say that if you ride the Ahab then the 12' HD the HD feels like a sports car..... that being said I LOVE the Ahab. I wanted a Cadillac type ride..... I'm never gonna race or anything like that. I can paddle 10-15 miles no matter what I'm on per day. I just wanted to bring what I wanted and be comfortable doing it. There was not 1 single other manufacturer I saw that came close to what I wanted. Both boards track very good and you literally have to try to fall off both them they are so stable.

With the Rail Saver Pro and 3M stuff on both boards they are pretty protected. I'm very disappointed with the "paint/finish" on both boards, it's in my opinion extremely subpar for such a expensive board. That being said the shape and features make up for it and down the road a bit I will definitely be making some changes. I spoke with my buddy at Linex about coating some of the fragile areas. Seems like a excellent option since they can color match any color you want.

Dave
« Last Edit: April 13, 2016, 06:36:03 PM by Dkyachtphoto »

clinto

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2016, 06:53:10 AM »
The structure, glass and overall makeup of the board is very solid with BOTE's. they just make it flashy with the paint and that tends to show wear. I rented an older 12' flood before it bought mine and it had some areas of chipping and scratching but was very minor considering it was a rental for well over a year. It did however get thrown down the beach while i was using it by a 30mph+ gust of wind and rolled a few times. it landed very hard on the rail and it split right where the impact was. Only a 5" area. I was honestly impressed on how well it handled that. After all, they are just large surfboards and i have cracked glass on my longboard with much less impact in the past. BOTE's are very well shaped too and all of them ride great from my experience. My buddy is an ambassador for them now and he has been fishing from them for years without any issues.

Dkyachtphoto

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2016, 11:43:27 AM »
The structure, glass and overall makeup of the board is very solid with BOTE's. they just make it flashy with the paint and that tends to show wear. I rented an older 12' flood before it bought mine and it had some areas of chipping and scratching but was very minor considering it was a rental for well over a year. It did however get thrown down the beach while i was using it by a 30mph+ gust of wind and rolled a few times. it landed very hard on the rail and it split right where the impact was. Only a 5" area. I was honestly impressed on how well it handled that. After all, they are just large surfboards and i have cracked glass on my longboard with much less impact in the past. BOTE's are very well shaped too and all of them ride great from my experience. My buddy is an ambassador for them now and he has been fishing from them for years without any issues.
Yes you can definitely tell they are solid and well made. It's just the last steps that they skimp on. There's parts on both my boards that you can see fiberglass mat through the paint and that have dirt in the clear coat. I mean seriously how much weight would it have added if they did a quality tough paint on it?

Dave

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal