Author Topic: Hobie Pedal SUP  (Read 20150 times)

lucabrasi

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Re: Hobie Pedal SUP
« Reply #45 on: April 11, 2016, 03:57:39 PM »
These guys do the propellor.
http://nativewatercraft.com/propel-drive/
Never seen one in person. I seem to remember a few years ago when they started doing it it was put up against the Hobie and the Hobie blew on past it. Does have reverse going for it tho. Haven't looked in a few years. Maybe it's been improved? They do make good stuff for sure. I am certain they are out there where you see lots of kayak fisherman. They make the Versaboard (roto molded board) and won't surprise me if Hobies does well that they come out with their own version.
I do know the Hobies are pigs to load and unload. I got rid of one, the Outback, because of that (main reason, wasn't getting used the other but if not a pig to laod and unload I would have most likely kept it in the stable) and that's the main reason I didn't get an Adventure Island. Don't want to haul a trailer around always. Would have to put on and take off the amas and all that then put it all on top of my Tahoe. Just seemed a chore to load and unload every time for what I do and where and how I go out. I know there are guys who take their Pro Anglers out and say how it is easy to load and unload off the top of their cars. Maybe so but I don't buy it. Those are beasts.....and really border on being boats. A board is too easy and there is just something better about being out on it anyways. I will say that the i11s is pretty simple, easy, and nice. It will be a fun addition. It is not clumsy and awkward when deflated, nor inflated. The i12 is a bit clumsy deflated and a bit of a pig inflated but not way bad.
The fins do provide stability. Kind of like a dagger board. Got the sail kits for the Revolution and the Outback (when I had it). Only tipped the Revo once. Outback a bit wider. Way smaller sails than the Adventure Island ones and both hulls (revo and outback) are wider than the AI. They are fun rigs for sure.

Oh yeah. I would think this would fit in the mirage fitting on the board thing? No clue if they made a new size opening/fitting or whatnot for the SUP thing or not. Never tried or seen one. Supposed to fit in all their kayaks. Did read somewhere the battery got better the last year or so.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2016, 04:57:20 PM by lucabrasi »

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #46 on: April 11, 2016, 04:59:01 PM »
I think the direct forward a back motion of the mirage system helps you maintain a smoother float. It seems to me the bicycle type crank pedals cause your legs to go high from side to side constantly raising your C.G. If you really got moving the kayak might wobble side to side. It does look like the 'Native Water Craft' is really geared (literally) to anglers. The reverse (pedal backwards) would be helpful for sure.   
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

Bulky

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 12, 2016, 11:49:17 AM »
I guess anyone can ride what they like and brings them joy.  No doubt there are people who prefer one means over another and probably even some adaptive issues where certain people can't use one craft over another.

That said, I would have to imagine this is going to be something more suited for flatwater, canals, etc.  I took notice this morning just how much I instinctively move my feet around on the open ocean--when things get really big and choppy, it often almost requires one to step forward and back which would create some issues if you need your feet to stay in one place in order to provide propulsion.  That doesn't mean it can't be done on one of these, but it just requires a different means of leverage--less moving of feet and more shifting of body weight--kind of like a mtn bike.

But what do I know?  Only a matter of time before someone posts videos of guys catching bombs at Mavs on one of these things...
Santa Barbara, CA

SIC RS 14x24.5
Infinity Blackfish 14'
Naish Glide 14' (2012)
SupSports Hammer 8'11
Starboard WidePoint 10'5
Ke Nalu Mana, Konihi, Maliko

SupPadre

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #48 on: April 12, 2016, 12:53:15 PM »
Apparently the Mirage drive provides excellent acceleration with the proper motivation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXWYyF9pjao

mrbig

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 28, 2016, 01:45:42 PM »
Crop in NH. Doesn't turn well!!
Let it come to you..
SMIK 9'2" Hipster Mini Mal
SMIK 8'8" Short Mac Freo Rainbow Bridge
SMIK 8'4" Hipster Twin
King's 8'2" Accelerator SharkBoy

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #50 on: May 26, 2016, 12:12:00 PM »
Gives a new meaning to 'going over the bars'.
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 26, 2016, 02:50:19 PM »
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300
Sunova Flow  8'10 X 31"  119L
Me - 6'0" - 165lbs - 66yo

supuk

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 06, 2016, 08:46:45 AM »
I recently saw one of these being used along with the friends I was with and we were all very impressed, the lady using it was using what looked like very little effort to move at a very good pace, I would think it would be very hard to keep up with on a sup even though the board was 35" wide. If I could get my hands on one I would love to try it and already have a bunch of ideas that would be interesting to try.

Argosi

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 15, 2016, 12:36:17 PM »
The first ever Mirage drive race for SUPs. These things do look like they move fast.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ijl0H0vViK4

supgobes

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 15, 2016, 12:57:39 PM »
What's next?  Moped races?   ;)

lucabrasi

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 15, 2016, 01:05:25 PM »
they just announced this week a drive with reverse capability. Looked pretty slick and easy to change between forward and reverse in about a blink.
Seeing the fins for that it may be a bit slower but no clue. It was a few second gif I saw and although it looked like it might I have no clue whether the new drive would be interchangeable with past years watercraft, which all were.
Also a few other outfits announced peddle drive kayaks of some sort but I didn't look to see what they were all about and can't even remember exactly who they were.

Argosi

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 15, 2016, 01:16:13 PM »
Here's a video showing the details of Hobie's new Mirage drive with reverse. It's being put into all their Mirage kayaks for 2017.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oRoOL5DJ6oM

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 15, 2016, 08:49:05 PM »
they just announced this week a drive with reverse capability. Looked pretty slick and easy to change between forward and reverse in about a blink.
Seeing the fins for that it may be a bit slower but no clue. It was a few second gif I saw and although it looked like it might I have no clue whether the new drive would be interchangeable with past years watercraft, which all were.
Also a few other outfits announced peddle drive kayaks of some sort but I didn't look to see what they were all about and can't even remember exactly who they were.

Probably faster. I've always wondered why the fins were tapered the way they were. More area at the tips than the base makes more sense. The tips move much further and faster through the water.  Width at the base is pointless--it hardly moves.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2016, 08:57:47 PM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #58 on: July 16, 2016, 05:32:38 AM »
Needs a foil.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 16, 2016, 06:17:38 AM »
Absolutely. Also needs to engage core muscles. They're giving away performance by the handful, and they're probably faster than most paddlers as-is. In a kayak the mirage drive seem equivalent to about a one horsepower trolling motor but doesn't feel too taxing. Pretty amazing. Reverse is actually a big deal.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal