Author Topic: That's it. I quit the gym.  (Read 6927 times)

Bulky

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
That's it. I quit the gym.
« on: April 01, 2016, 11:43:53 AM »
Well over 10yrs ago, I got a deal at 24hr Fitness.  Paid something like $800 for 3yrs and then got lifetime renewals of $49/year.  Had seasons in my life where I could actually put together a pretty good routine of getting there 2-3times a week.  Can't say I loved it but it did keep the extreme dadbod at bay.

Since SUP addiction took root, my gym frequency has fallen dramatically.  For each of the last several years, my wife has questioned why she should pay it and my answer is always:  "Where else am I gonna find a gym membership for $49?  Just pay it.  Nice to have it if I need it."

This time around, she pointed out that I haven't been to the gym in two years.  And the year before that it was probably something like 3 times.  Her line of inquiry got more pointed and she suggested we just send them $200 to cover the next four years of my not going.  She also pointed out that I lost 50lbs and am in the best shape of my life ever since I stopped going.  She never saw me hop out of bed at 4:30am to get to the gym like I do for a paddle.  Still wasn't completely swayed until she suggested that 49 extra bucks for SUP doo-dads might be something I'd enjoy more.

So, farewell to the blasting techno, the windowless cinderblock walls, unsmiling hoards in earbuds running on the hamster wheels and walls full of TVs. 

I basically went to the gym out of obligation so I wouldn't die as soon--and it wasn't really all that effective.  You couldn't pull me off my SUP and I've never felt better physically or mentally.

See you on the water!
Santa Barbara, CA

SIC RS 14x24.5
Infinity Blackfish 14'
Naish Glide 14' (2012)
SupSports Hammer 8'11
Starboard WidePoint 10'5
Ke Nalu Mana, Konihi, Maliko

SD Surfer

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
Re: That's it. I quit the gym.
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2016, 12:08:42 PM »
You didn't quit the gym, you just found a new one with much better scenery.

It's amazing how much sense things make when put in terms we can wrap our head around. "New Doo-Dads"

Congrats on the 50 lbs, that's freaking awesome.

Burn619

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2016, 12:24:58 PM »
Funny, I was actually thinking the same thing just yesterday. I signed up for 24 Hour Fitness in 1991 when it was Family Fitness Center and got grandfathered in when they were bought out by 24 Hour. From age 18 to 30 I was in there 6 days a week but I have only been in there maybe a total of 3 weeks in the past 10 years. But my thought is that if I cancel it and ever want to go back I'll never get a deal like I have. But I will probably do what you did and cancel it and wish I had done it years ago.

othpaddler

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2016, 12:42:54 PM »

Before I got into SUP, I rode my bike a minimum of 100 miles a week and lifted at the gym at least 3 times a week.  Since I took up SUP on a daily basis about 5 years ago, I have lost 10 lbs and have better overall muscle tone than I did while riding and lifting (even though I am obviously 5 yrs older).

For my money there is no better overall workout than SUP.  Of course I am fortunate to live where it is warm year around, making it much less daunting to exercise on the water at 6 am.

So props to those in colder climes and great thanks to the incredible stoke of SUP!!

TN_SUP

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2016, 01:06:13 PM »
Same here, was at gym 3x week and biking until my first paddle 5 years ago - I hurt everywhere despite thinking I was "in shape". The pain confirmed that it was a full body workout and the weather is rarely bad enough not to paddle, so goodbye gym!
'13 SB Sprint, '15 SIC X-14 ProLite, RH Coastal Cruiser, Think EZE Ski, Kenalu Konihi 84  & Mana

all~wet

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2016, 01:22:57 PM »
ADHD, hyperactive.... I dunno. Let's just say  live on one end of the spectrum.... I HAVE to keep busy and moving or I lose my sh*t. So for me.... when wind and waves/nature doesn't consider my needs for more than a few days periods, the gym does have it's place as a very last resort.

They say find a vocation you love and you never have to work a day in your life. Same-same with exercise.  Find a sport or physical activity that you love and you never have to "workout" again..... you merely play your way into health.  I am very fortunate to have a few such passions, all outdoors on water.   For me, there is NOTHING like being on the ocean to maintain my equilibrium-  keep not only the body fit, but the mind and soul too. My woman has figured this out. I get caught up in other aspects of life too long and pretty soon she is begging me. "Go get on the water.... you are driving me nuts!"

SlatchJim

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2016, 01:49:50 PM »
Yea, you do look a lot more healthy since quitting that silly gym.  ;)

(p.s. Momma and I are headed to Dev this Sat April 2, 8:30 to 9:00 AM arrival in case you can get a hall pass.  Meeting daughter's boyfriend's parents in the PM.)

supsurf-tw

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2016, 02:03:39 PM »
PROPER gym training+ SUP=You Win
Boards:

8-10 x 31 Egg
8-11 X 32 Double wing Fangtail Tom Whitaker
8-6 X 30 1\2  Inbetweener Tom Whitaker
8-4 x 30 Hyper quad Tom Whitaker (wife's now)
8-4 X 31 1\4.  Round (wide) Diamond Tail Quad Tom Whitaker
 9-4 X 30 1\2. Swallow Stinger Quad Tom Whitaker (ex wifes now)
10-0 Brusurf for teach

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2016, 02:15:19 PM »
Did the same thing about 5 years ago. I was paying 9.99 a month for 24hr Fitness since they first opened. After not going there once in 3 years, and in the best shape I'd been in in over 20 yrs due to paddling, I said bye bye. My son had to recently join 24hr fitness because his club basketball team uses their indoor courts for practices. I haven't been in a social gym in years. Man have they changed. Like you said Bulky, the pumping techno music reminded my of and old 80's dance club. Then there is the sound of 200 lbs of barbells being dropped on the floor intentionally to get that 'Look at me" affect. I use to just set the weights down. I had forgotten about what an ego scene it can be. Even the gym clothing is such a fashion industry in itself.  The guy at the counter asked me if I wanted to join? I said," no, I'm good. I already paddled 8 miles today in the ocean. I like to train in the open air. I'm not fond of the B.O. smell." He looked me up and down. Standing there in my worn out flip flops, and jeans.
Of course, different strokes for....
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

SlatchJim

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2016, 02:16:44 PM »
Tom, I've seen you in person, and I'm a fool to argue with someone in your physical shape. ..But... I've hated weight lifting, and machine training since I was 12.  Let me play a sport, ride a bike, hike a trail, surf...anything.  The gym always felt like punishment to me unless there were basketballs or volleyballs inside.

Glowmaster

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2016, 05:43:12 PM »
My wife drops me off for my paddle and goes to the gym to treadmill, elliptical and lift some weights.

I paddle 5.3 miles and she picks me up after.  Guess who has a bigger smile on afterwards?

I freaking love paddling.

ed

PDLSFR

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2016, 06:04:18 PM »
PROPER gym training+ SUP=You Win

I still find the gym valuable in my training, especially for the CCBC. Weights and cardio seem to help me keep the extra muscle tone and extra flexibility for the long paddles and long surf sessions. If we had better weather here in southern New England I'm sure I'd spend way more time paddling than anything else, so the gym helps find the balance in the dead of winter here. Then again Mr Big and even Creek seem to avoid a gym and spend just as much time paddling all year so maybe as you get older the cold doesn't hurt as much ?
Infinity RNB 8'2
Ron House 9'7
Ron House 10'7
Infinity New Deal 10'
Custom Infinity New Deal 10'
VEC 11'
Focus Bluefin 14'

Bulky

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2016, 06:10:27 PM »

They say find a vocation you love and you never have to work a day in your life. Same-same with exercise.  Find a sport or physical activity that you love and you never have to "workout" again..... you merely play your way into health. 

I paddle 5.3 miles and she picks me up after.  Guess who has a bigger smile on afterwards?

I freaking love paddling.

Yup.  I'll drink the Kool-Aid to that!

True, I realize that proper gym training would enhance my paddling, but I've got limited workout time and I'm not trying to win races.  Even in some of the reading I've done, it's likely that I could spend less time on the water and insert focused physical training to get better and faster.

But I won't. 

Wouldn't want to trade the sanity that comes from being on the water 5-6 days a week.  Rather spend 90min on the water than 45 on and 45 in the gym.

I will say that a cross benefit from having lost this much weight is that I actually can go for a run or quick bike ride if I've only got a small window and can't get to the water--and it isn't the torture I used to be.

Got a pretty good set of dumbells in the garage--maybe I'll round things out with them some day and make Chuck Patterson jealous.
Santa Barbara, CA

SIC RS 14x24.5
Infinity Blackfish 14'
Naish Glide 14' (2012)
SupSports Hammer 8'11
Starboard WidePoint 10'5
Ke Nalu Mana, Konihi, Maliko

Off-Shore

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • HksupaHK SUP and Downwinding
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2016, 06:14:47 PM »
Bulky. Great to read this. I also quit the gym 3 years ago when I found SUP at age 50 and am in better physical and mental health by being on the water than I was in my 40s going to the gym 3 days a week. You'd never see me getting out of bed at 4.30am to go to the gym or a run.. NEVER... but for a downwinder or a long distance SUP tour with buddies... every time. Again I am lucky that I live next to the ocean and can paddle all the year round.  I also had back issues and would spend money monthly visiting a PT, sometimes 2-3 times a month. I have not been to the PT in a year. In fact if my back starts to hurt, I get out for a SUP session and the hurt disappears magically.. It is remarkable. Granted when I started out, in the first year I was going to the PT for injury, mainly shoulder and calf strains, but as I've built up strength, I haven't had any injury in a year or so. Even when I had these strains, it did not stop me paddling, just reduced the length of time or the intensity I did it.

I have a picture in my office of my son and I on my first board a week after I bought it, with my gut hanging over my shorts and skinny arms and shoulders to remind me of what will happen if I stop..
« Last Edit: April 01, 2016, 06:16:52 PM by Off-Shore »
SB 9' x 33' x 4.1" - RPC 9'8" iSUP - SB All-Star 12'6" - Blue Planet Bump Rider 14 - SB Ace 14 x 27 - RedAir 14' Elite Race - SIC Bullet 14v1 TWC - SICMaui F16v3 Custom

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/HksupaHk_SUP_and_Downwinding

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2016, 07:08:55 PM »
Seems lifting heavy weights and running hills are a good recipe to build a bit of muscle mass - while SUP helps with balance.  All are fun - but have not been in a gym weight room since university days.  Have about 600 lbs of free weights we use at home - a pull up bar - and various benches. 

Found that working on opposing and stabilizers helps reduce near all SUP overuse problems.  Without - find the unused muscles weaken a considerable amount pretty quickly - and problems start appearing.  Really found that heavy deadlifts are fantastic in strengthening low back muscles used in SUP.
Fast is FUN!   8)
Dominator - Touring Pintail - Bullet V2 - M14 - AS23

* Recent Posts

post Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
[SUP General]
Dusk Patrol
April 19, 2024, 12:51:49 PM
post Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
[SUP General]
Night Wing
April 19, 2024, 06:29:07 AM
post Re: Sunova Faast Pro Allwater 14x27
[Classifieds]
gcs
April 18, 2024, 01:22:14 PM
post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard