Author Topic: simmons sup 7.8x31x130l  (Read 11822 times)

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: simmons sup 7.8x31x130l
« Reply #30 on: June 26, 2016, 08:24:27 AM »
Well done.
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

AndreasBreda

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 28, 2016, 02:51:33 AM »
thank you. I've did a first flat water test to check for stability and volume. I have to say i was a bit repellant because it was my first time on a short sup. The smallest sup i have used is a 9.0 with 140 liters so to go to a 7.8 board is a quite step down. But it went better then expected i have to say. I was very amazed about the stability of the board. The volume is also right on for my weight and because of the quad setup the rowing effect is less then I expected. Turning radius for short turns is amazing. I cannot wait to test it in the waves. Rockerline is quite low as it is intended for small waves. Now if i paddle in the center of the board the nose is up but in the waves i  expect to put one feet back for the take off in order to avoid nose dive :) Next week i should have my first wave test in.

jrandy

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: June 28, 2016, 04:08:35 PM »
Nicely done Andreas! Also looking forward to your ride report.
http://pushheretosavealife.com/
Be safe, have fun. -J

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: July 11, 2016, 05:40:15 PM »
OK, quit keeping us in suspense!  We want a surfing report! 
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

AndreasBreda

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 14, 2016, 11:37:56 PM »
I am looking foreward to test it in the waves too. The only "problem" (not really a good term but ok ) is that i am in mauritius right now with howling winds and ive been wave sailing all the time. There is just too much wind to test the voard out. For next week i will try to catch a tamarin session in between but the swell is not that ideal for the main sheltered surf spot. I will keep you guys updated 

magentawave

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 19, 2016, 10:51:04 AM »
I am looking foreward to test it in the waves too. The only "problem" (not really a good term but ok ) is that i am in mauritius right now with howling winds and ive been wave sailing all the time. There is just too much wind to test the voard out. For next week i will try to catch a tamarin session in between but the swell is not that ideal for the main sheltered surf spot. I will keep you guys updated

Good job, dude! Is that perfect left firing on Mauritius? The left that was in the early 70's surf film called "The Forgotten Island of Santosha."

EDIT: I just looked it up and the spot is Tamarind Bay.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2016, 10:58:37 AM by magentawave »
Pluto Platter: 7-10 x 29.25 x 4.25 x 114.5 liters

AndreasBreda

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 10, 2016, 12:36:14 PM »
So, finally could do a decent test with some waves the board was build for. Not too much wind, but quite choppy at times with some nice 3 to 4ft  mellow waves. I have put the 2 fcs keel fins in and put them on the most backward position. I have to say my only SUP experience till now was on a 9x29 coreban fusion. The 7.8x31 is a serious step down in lenght and i thought it would maybe be difficult to compare it one on one with the 9.0. First of all as I said before, stability is a dream, really. between the sets there was some backwash and quite choppy at times but i could keep balance really well on the board. In this ascpect I have an overlap with the 9.0 as the stability is matching really well. Then the waves. I have to be honest, when I've paddled the board on the flats i thought that the 4.4 nose rocker would be too low and the nose would be diggin some times . But when I was adapted to the stance on these shorter boards (more sideways ) it was easy to take off even on the steepest parts of the wave. I have to say, after a while when i got used to the stance i could get really a lot of waves and i didn't hava the nose diggin once. I don't have the feeling that i would have catched more waves with the 9.0 in the same conditions. Riding on the wave was a smooth and easy ride although it was a bit searching for the sweetspot of the board. The board goes to rail ok but i need to put more pressure on the inward rail to catch my line and get "locked" in the wave. I think this is because the rails are slightly fatter than my 9.0 but it was not much of an issue because I got used to it after a while. Compared to the 9.0 it seems a bit slower to get accelerating when you are too early and really need to paddle your way into the wave. I notice the same when the wave goes flatter again. I don't really know if this is because the board has less glide than the 9.0 (because of its lenghth) or it has something to do with the shape itself. In the straight line its speed is ok although once I moved the backfoot a bit more to the back and the board got the incredible acceleration I was looking for. Im not sure what the reason is of this? Maybe its my stance I have to adapt a bit to find the "acceleration" position. I was thinking because the tail is somewhat thinned out  the volume is more forward on the board and maybe I am to much in front putting the nose to much down. I will definately have to test it more to give a brief overview but this was a first riding experience and in the end I have to say It was a pleasant suprise. I really had a lot of fun riding the board yesterday and in the end it is all that matters I tink :) I will work a bit on my stance. I think I've found the take off sweetspot but for riding I have the feeling that my backfoot needs to be further back. I feel there is a lot more to discover in the board so i am looking forward to the next session.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 10, 2016, 08:59:57 PM »
Congrats man. Sounds like it surfs well.

I'm curious about stepping back to accelerate. Do you think that's a feeling or could that be happening? If so, do you think that there's a step in the rocker, of sorts to where it's hitting a flatter section or maybe the nose rocker is pushing s little?  Really interesting behavior and as a beginner shaper/builder myself I'm intrigued.

The big tail concave is also cool to see all glassed up. I'd love to ride the same board with and without that to feel the effect. Maybe it's the source of the speed somehow too.

AndreasBreda

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 11, 2016, 12:32:19 AM »
Thank you surfcowboy. I had a lot of information on your topic to so thank you for that:) I honestly have to say i don't really know the cause for this maybe it was a feeling maybe not... I think I will have to surf it another few times to get a clear view. It is true that in the center of the board, the rocker has a flatter region to it and the idea was to gain some more speed by doing this. I will try to upload the rocker file maybe i can get some interesting opinions on that. About the tail concave, it is rather deep and should give some sort of control. Patrice of gong surfboards made a board for colas (also here on the forum i thought) without the concave as a sort of test project. I would love to here some feedback on that  :) I think these kind of simmons sup shapes have a lot of potential for less than perfect conditions (conditions were 80% of the sup population has to deal with I think) and the shape allows it to be short and stable at the same time which is practically also a big advantage (board takes less space in the car and is easier to travel with) :) will be continued   

surfshaver

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #39 on: August 19, 2016, 06:27:24 PM »
I'm not an expert on Simmons sup's but I'm going to get one shaped by Kirk at L41 so I've been reading about them a lot here and elsewhere.  I think the reason why you experienced better acceleration when on the tail is less a product of rocker than of the wide tail.  On a regular short board style board, a heavy back foot when pumping will stall the board because it sinks the narrow tail, causing drag.  I think that's why when you see a lot of pro shortboarders pumping for speed, their back feet are semi-raised off the board, light and dynamic.

The wide tails on these simsups have so much lift that you can have a heavier back foot without sinking the tail and use the fins to create lift and drive.  Pono Bill spoke in one post about getting in the pocket and standing on the tail as a way to make the board fly.

JP4

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #40 on: August 19, 2016, 10:16:08 PM »

In the straight line its speed is ok although once I moved the backfoot a bit more to the back and the board got the incredible acceleration I was looking for. Im not sure what the reason is of this? Maybe its my stance I have to adapt a bit to find the "acceleration" position. I was thinking because the tail is somewhat thinned out  the volume is more forward on the board and maybe I am to much in front putting the nose to much down. I will definately have to test it more to give a brief overview but this was a first riding experience and in the end I have to say It was a pleasant suprise. I really had a lot of fun riding the board yesterday and in the end it is all that matters I tink :) I will work a bit on my stance. I think I've found the take off sweetspot but for riding I have the feeling that my backfoot needs to be further back.

Nice build. If your board rides anything like my L41 ST, I find after standing way forward with the nose just above the water to catch the wave, I usually jump all the way to the back to the tail with my toes all the way to the rail if it's a front side drop. This seems to work pretty consistently for me and is essential for me to stay in control of the wide board (31") if the waves are overhead.
I'm no expert, but I've surfed probably a couple dozen different SUP's, and nothing seems to have the crazy speed of the Simmons. It might all be my perception, but I find myself making sections and milking small waves with much more success on the L41 than anything else I've ridden. It seems to be perfect for under head high mushy waves.
Here's a picture you can see where I put my back foot.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal