Author Topic: simmons sup 7.8x31x130l  (Read 11823 times)

AndreasBreda

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
Re: simmons sup 7.8x31x130l
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2016, 04:33:53 AM »
Thank you everyone for the help. For the epoxy/microballoon indeed, the color seem to be very dependant of the epoxy u use and the ratio of the balloons/resin. I made a test part and there it seemed allright but when I made a larger amount i saw that the color was a bitt off. Next weekend i will be back in my shed and I will see how i will continue. Meanwhile I got some small tubes with different kind of spackle. One of them is very light and they should both be bright white. I will do some preliminary tests tonight on some leftovers to prepare for the weekend :) I will try to post my findings later on.

supuk

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2016, 04:57:30 AM »
I would not put spakle on top of your current epoxy m/b mix it will not make it any whiter and it will create a weak bond between the two. Just very lightly sand the epoxy by hand and move stright on to glassing

AndreasBreda

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2016, 06:02:33 AM »
Hi Supuk, hmm that is something to think about. I have still some eps laying so anyhow i can still use the spackle test for my second board. But I have to say that if i started the m/b epoxy on one side of my board and i saw that the color did not match completely i scraped all back off leaving only a very small leftover on the surface. The gaps and holes aren't filled now and i can still see the eps structure coming through. Would it still be better to continue with the m/b mixture you think or just sand the board carefully with 120? I think this should take the leftovers away no?

supuk

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2016, 06:19:41 AM »
The board will have absorbed resin just sand lightly with 120 so the surface is smooth and you have just taken of any tiney high spots you will not be able to sand what you put on back without more problems. Glass as normal

Arany

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2016, 07:43:07 AM »
I uses  one time it's  very good on theeps

AndreasBreda

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2016, 11:15:02 AM »
Sealing almost done just some sanding to do. Ive done a spacle test with some scrape parts and polyfilla one fill is the way to go. Very light, bright white and easy to sand. I will use this on my future boards. Tomorrow back to the (day) job. Next week i am planning to set the finboxes and laminate the carbon stringer.

AndreasBreda

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2016, 04:41:29 AM »
Hmm stringer and finboxes have soms delay as i was suffering this weekend from a hangover :P i was thinking on the carbon stringer, everybody seems to do a carbon strip both sides of the board. I am thinking that only the bottom tension side really adds to The stiffness and the loading of the carbon. With bending the deck stringer is mostly compression which doesnt load te carbon as much? Maybe the experts van conform or explain why carbon strip is both sides most of the time? Br

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2016, 08:03:48 PM »
Hmm stringer and finboxes have soms delay as i was suffering this weekend from a hangover :P i was thinking on the carbon stringer, everybody seems to do a carbon strip both sides of the board. I am thinking that only the bottom tension side really adds to The stiffness and the loading of the carbon. With bending the deck stringer is mostly compression which doesnt load te carbon as much? Maybe the experts van conform or explain why carbon strip is both sides most of the time? Br
I'm not an expert, but I have a little bit of amateur board building experience.  What if the board is floating upside down and a big lip drops directly on it.  In that case, you may wish you had carbon on the bottom too if the board snaps. 
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

AndreasBreda

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 17, 2016, 11:37:30 AM »
Finboxes are in and stringer is glassed. I although a small problem. Undernearth the carbon stringer at the tail end there seem to be an air bubble trapped underneath which makes me able to push te stringer about 1-2mm. How do i solve this best? I was thinking of puncturing the stringer at this spot and inject epoxy in the air bubble with an injection needle? Any other thoughts? Br andreas

AndreasBreda

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 21, 2016, 06:30:41 AM »
I'm not an expert, but I have a little bit of amateur board building experience.  What if the board is floating upside down and a big lip drops directly on it.  In that case, you may wish you had carbon on the bottom too if the board snaps.

Did carbon both sides just to make sure indeed :). Board is almost finished. Some touchup hotcoat on the rail and leash plug and it is ready to go. Pictures of the finished board soon. Weight is quite ok i think. I did not weighted it yet but it seems ok. 

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: June 21, 2016, 08:42:22 AM »
Finboxes are in and stringer is glassed. I although a small problem. Undernearth the carbon stringer at the tail end there seem to be an air bubble trapped underneath which makes me able to push te stringer about 1-2mm. How do i solve this best? I was thinking of puncturing the stringer at this spot and inject epoxy in the air bubble with an injection needle? Any other thoughts? Br andreas
Sounds like you figured it out. Once the epoxy cures on the CF there's not much you can do other than cut that section out. The CF will retain the shape it cures in.
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

AndreasBreda

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 23, 2016, 07:20:31 AM »
Well I went for my first thought and injected the place with a needle to insert epoxy. It went pretty good I have to say bu if anyone want to try it, i would recommend epoxy with a low viscosity, it makes it easier. Tonight i will sand my leash plug and do some final touchups. I hope to have a first test ride this weekend. Definately a good learning experience and i am quite happy with the shape actually. I hope it will work too :) 

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 23, 2016, 07:31:41 AM »
This is looking good. When you can, post a shot of the bottom, I wanna see how that tail concave came out and yes, post a report when you can!

AndreasBreda

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 26, 2016, 12:25:32 AM »
Finished and really happy with the outcome! I will try to test it today. Its my first shortsup so hopefully a good stepdown. Thank you all for the advice and tips. It was a good learning curve too. I am already thinking about another one ☺  and now enough talking lets see some pictures:

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: June 26, 2016, 05:13:39 AM »
Very nice!  Looking forward to a ride report. 
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal