Author Topic: Proper way to describe our boards?  (Read 13104 times)

Cardiff Sweeper

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Re: Proper way to describe our boards?
« Reply #45 on: April 07, 2016, 12:31:37 AM »
Fast&Fun

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ichabod Spoonbill

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Hudson Valley, NY
    • View Profile
    • HVH2O
    • Email
« Reply #46 on: April 10, 2016, 06:35:38 PM »
I've got an interesting conclusion to the Craigslist drama. I love-mailed the guy, saying I wasn't interested and I didn't like the way he handled it. A day later I got an e-mail offering the board to me at the original price, with an apology! I honestly didn't expect that.

So I bought the NSP 14. The guy was pretty nice, actually. It's got some scuffs and it needs a very minor ding repair, but it's worth the $600. I paddled it out today at Heckscher Park on Long Island. It was nice being on a 14 footer again. The board seemed to glide quite well, but it was pretty tippy. The 15mph winds weren't helping either. I got knocked off the board from the cross chop several times, and the water was cold! I was also being pushed into the beach by the wind. I explored a cove, but it wasn't so much fun because I had to fight the wind getting out.
Pau Hana 11' Big EZ Ricochet (Beluga)

Ichabod Spoonbill

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Hudson Valley, NY
    • View Profile
    • HVH2O
    • Email
« Reply #47 on: April 11, 2016, 02:51:32 AM »
I meant I "e-mailed" the guy in the first sentence. Damn autocorrect!

wrybread

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #48 on: April 15, 2016, 02:50:38 PM »
"Sup".

And not "S.U.P."!

What on earth is up with people calling it "S.U.P."? No offence to anyone here who does it, but its pretty much the mark of the weenie around where I am. People who take it far too seriously and ride boards that are much too small for them.

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #49 on: April 15, 2016, 06:43:34 PM »
I meant I "e-mailed" the guy in the first sentence. Damn autocorrect!

Um hmmm, yea sure.  ;)
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

Subber

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 15, 2016, 06:53:56 PM »
"SUB" or "stand up board"

No need to mention the paddle.

Subber
 8)
Jimmy Lewis Black & Blue Noserider 10'1"x31"x4.25," 164 liters, 24 lbs, 1 box
Pearson Laird Surftech Longboard 10'6"x23"x29.75"x18"x4.375," 154 liters, 24 lbs, 3 boxes
Takayama Ali'i II Surftech 11'x21.375”x28.5”x17.25”x 4.25,” 162 liters, 26 lbs, 3 boxes

Weeble

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 28, 2016, 06:56:23 AM »
My wife and I get asked what we are doing, or what is it called when are paddling.  We usually call it paddle boarding to keep it simple.  My wife for awhile when she was recovering from shoulder surgery, began to do a little prone paddling so that she could at least get back out in the water.  She joined up with some very experienced proners to learn how to do it properly and ended up on some of their message groups.  That is where we learned that some prone paddlers do not like Stand Up Paddle Boards being called Paddle Boards, as they were "here first" as one might say.  So, if we get asked while there are some proners around (AKA Shark Petters), we make sure that we say we're on Stand Up Paddle Boards to avoid the stink eye.
Faster than some, slower than most....
2015 Boga Typhoon 14 x 25.5 Team Edition
2013 Laird Bark Race 14
2012 Fanatic Fly Race 12.6 (the white one)
2015 Fanatic Allwave 9.5/ 2013 Fanatic Allwave 9.10
Ke Nalu Konihi 95 on an Elite 90 Flex
Ke Nalu Molokai on an Xtuf
Maliko Blade that gets interchanged

kayadogg

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #52 on: April 28, 2016, 07:50:34 AM »
I've got an interesting conclusion to the Craigslist drama. I love-mailed the guy, saying I wasn't interested and I didn't like the way he handled it. A day later I got an e-mail offering the board to me at the original price, with an apology! I honestly didn't expect that.

So I bought the NSP 14. The guy was pretty nice, actually. It's got some scuffs and it needs a very minor ding repair, but it's worth the $600. I paddled it out today at Heckscher Park on Long Island. It was nice being on a 14 footer again. The board seemed to glide quite well, but it was pretty tippy. The 15mph winds weren't helping either. I got knocked off the board from the cross chop several times, and the water was cold! I was also being pushed into the beach by the wind. I explored a cove, but it wasn't so much fun because I had to fight the wind getting out.

Maybe he's a closet Zoner? or a "Guest" Zoner?  ;D $600 is hard to pass up for any 14' board. In some ways I'm glad I no longer live in SoCal just due to the amount of boards available on craigslist and how tempting it was but I also miss those days of scoring a ridiculous deal. I haven't bought a board from Craigslist since we've been back in Rhode Island and that's going on 5 months now... I'm starting to feel a little out of sorts.

Back to this thread. This is an interesting topic. If I tell people I surfed this morning, they automatically assume I "prone" surfed. No need to really differentiate to some people, as I still prone surf so it doesn't really matter anyways. If I say that I went stand up surfing or paddle surfing, they look at me confused. Or people say, what? You can surf on those boards? The general view of stand up is still huge oversized tankers that people paddle around in flat water. That being said, I own a seasonal part-time business called Paddle Board RI (not a shameless plug). We're entering our 5th season and continue to experience growth. I analyze my Google analytics and webmaster tools data a lot and the most common phrase that people google is "paddle boarding" when they're looking for SUP services. I have some friends back in CA that have been paddle boarding (in the traditional, true sense of the word) for years and I understand the stigma and the way they view the "mis-use" of this label. That being said, pretty much every possible phrase that someone on vacation in RI would use in Google returns our site first, so I go with what works. I actually don't like the name and it makes me cringe how uncreative it is but in a small state like RI, it works and it works well. On a side note, I don't like using the word SUP if I'm talking about stand up. I don't know why, I just prefer to call it stand up, stand up paddling, stand up surfing, etc.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2016, 07:52:34 AM by kayadogg »

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #53 on: April 28, 2016, 08:23:29 AM »
I don't care for it either, but I've defaulted to using the term "SUP" just because it's convenient, simple and people generally know what you are talking about.  The other terms are too long and complicated and I end up having to explain what I'm talking about. 
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #54 on: April 28, 2016, 08:55:18 AM »
For those us who grew up surfing, there are more specific shape descriptions that probably mean something else to most people.

I just bought:
a ripper.
a performer.
a big gun.
a banana.
a swallow tail.
a bar of soap.
a fishtail.
a potato chip.
a hydro hull.
a bonzer.
a carver.
an egg.
a step deck.
a rising sun.
a Sumo
a ninja bump.
a Herbie Fletcher ____ _______.

Just to name a few probably more SoCal specific classic's.

With my 'Stand-up's' I say it's more of a 'performer' or 'sumoish'.

It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

Ichabod Spoonbill

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Hudson Valley, NY
    • View Profile
    • HVH2O
    • Email
« Reply #55 on: April 28, 2016, 09:48:26 AM »
Kaya, that thought had occurred to me. He was very nice when we met, so maybe…

Back to the thread, I never use SUP unless I'm among SUPers. Where I am (NYS), everybody pretty much knows what a paddle board is. SUPing? That's another story.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #56 on: April 28, 2016, 10:49:53 AM »
Anything but "S.U.P."....it always sounds weird to me.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #57 on: April 28, 2016, 01:15:48 PM »
How about the term SSD?  Superior surfing device. 
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal