Author Topic: RSPro does it again with Deck protection  (Read 25996 times)

covesurfer

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Re: RSPro does it again with Deck protection
« Reply #30 on: August 28, 2016, 11:06:18 AM »

I kind of like wax when it's new and clean. I like the grip and I like the look. But once it's gets funky, it's ugly. It figures your wax would be pretty, Cove.  Did you plan that all out, use two types of wax, protect it from the sun, keep it out of the sand. Is that a wallhanger or is that your actual board.

My wax NEVER looks that pristine.

I just use one kind of wax, no basecoat, and in Maui temps, the 'tropical' grade is obviously the only choice. It's a little bit harder in non-sweltering temps so maybe a little better at not getting dirt embedded in it. I think I've been using the 'Sticky Bumps' but there's a bar of Sex Wax mixed in there. The wax looks clean because my board goes directly from the board bag in the car or van to the ocean and back after a session. I don't hang out on the beach so the sand never gets into the wax. I know how pristine shit drives you mad, Pono.

Removing wax is pretty easy. I set a board in the warm sun for 10 minutes or so and then use a plastic scraper to remove 98% of the wax. What's left on the board comes off easily with citrus degreaser/goo remover. I rinse the board with clean fresh water after that and dry it with a towel. They come out looking like new except for all the heel dents you didn't know you'd made.

Board is no wall hanger, I got it in June and have only missed maybe 5 days since. Not all of them have been good days, but I've surfed if there was any chance of getting waves, no matter how unpromising it's looked. I guess I've reversed what I missed when I was younger due to work and responsibilities into my later years. I'm making up for lost time. Speaking of that, it's time to go test that bad boy out.

surfshaver

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: August 28, 2016, 11:46:15 AM »
Hey Gregg, awesome looking Destroyer!  We definitely have the same taste in boards.  I have the JL HP longboard in addition to my Stun Gun.  That traction seems to be the best of both worlds.  Have you paddled it with no rash guard or knee paddled?  I'm wondering how it is on the skin...

SupPadre

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: August 28, 2016, 12:05:56 PM »
Has anyone who has used Startouch also used RSPro Deck Protection? I'm wondering if RSPro has better traction.

JimK

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Big Guys can have fun too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 28, 2016, 12:15:33 PM »
SUPPadre,

I have used both the RSPro is better traction and I have more confidence in it the Startouch is pretty good but there are times your foot just lets go. The RSPro that is not the case I think it has to do with the "little spongeeness" feel. Plus sand doesn't polish it.
Lastly the ability to move it is amazing

BEST STUFF EVER

JimK
Extreme Windsurfing

SupPadre

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: August 28, 2016, 01:07:32 PM »
Thanks Jimk

covesurfer

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 28, 2016, 05:08:32 PM »
Hey Gregg, awesome looking Destroyer!  We definitely have the same taste in boards.  I have the JL HP longboard in addition to my Stun Gun.  That traction seems to be the best of both worlds.  Have you paddled it with no rash guard or knee paddled?  I'm wondering how it is on the skin...

Jimmy makes some freaking awesome boards. They're great shapes that perform and they are constructed like tanks, but they're still light.

I can't knee paddle the Destroyer (although I'm sure there's plenty of people that could) but I deliberately took it out today with no rash guard to test the Hexa Traction. The stuff is easy on the skin. And, unlike wax, every single piece of body hair does not get pulled when you're paddling. The texture takes a bit of getting used to on a surfboard that you've used with wax. Wax has more texture where the Hexa Traction is perfectly smooth, yet still provides the needed grip. I really like it and am looking forward to additional 'testing' haha. The quality of the product is what you'd expect if you've used other RSPro items. It's top notch stuff. I took the MePro out for my test surf and got a couple of action shots with the Hexa Traction in use. Warning you Oarons: No Paddle

anonsurfer

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 31, 2016, 07:22:54 PM »
Another Hexatraction install.   Used 1 kit with 2 full and 2 half HEXs not used.

Home Break: Doheny
Tic Tac v3 (Hoglet): 6' 6" x 23" x 3.6" x 67L
Omni: 6' 9" x 23" x 3.75" x 68L
Tic Tac (OG): 7' 0" x 22.75" x 3.5" x 70L
In The Pink (Incoming): 8' 0" x 22.9" x 3.25" x 70L

Blackproject Surge S77 (Soft Flex Shaft, T-Grip, +0" OH)

covesurfer

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 31, 2016, 07:36:22 PM »
anon, what are the dims on that board? Is it 6 10 x 27? You must have amazing balance!

Also, would you mind posting a report on how you like the HexaTraction? I've only been able to get out 2x since I did my install. Neither day was a stand out. But, we had sufficient conditions that I could at least tell that I like the HexaT. It's weird though, I keep expecting it to be slippery and I find the grip is good.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2016, 07:37:58 PM by covesurfer »

anonsurfer

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 01, 2016, 05:32:30 AM »
The board I just did (photo above) is 6-6 x 28.  My 6-10 x 27 is below...

Your initial impressions of Hexatraction are the same as mine.  In an earlier post in this thread I mentioned how I doubted how well it would work (after installing but before riding).  I now have 30+ sessions on my 6-10 with Hexatraction and I really like it. 

It took about 6 sessions to get used to the feel but now I don't even notice it.  It's just there and it works.  You get much better response out of the board (i.e. driving off the bottom) since you don't have all that extra padding between you and the board.   It's also very light so you save a little weight.   The fact that it is transparent is a big plus for me.  Basically, with Hexatraction you get all the benefits of wax without the mess and maintenance.

Here's a repost of my 6-10 with Hexatraction.

« Last Edit: September 01, 2016, 05:35:15 AM by anonsurfer »

covesurfer

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 01, 2016, 11:00:40 AM »
Wow, amazing boards. I am blown away that there are SUS boards like this. I would love to see how you handle these boards, I am sure it's way past my pay grade but man, you must be able to rip on these! 

At the majority of breaks where people SUS here, it is often bumpy and you can get into some significant current, especially paddling back out across shallow reefs. Maybe that is why larger/wider boards are more prevalent - you really want to be able to get across shallow reefs quickly, even smaller sets get very punchy and falling is not a good option. That and the skill level you need to paddle and ride boards like yours is uncommon.

Anyway. Thanks for the observations on the Hexa Traction. I'm glad to hear you are liking it. It IS nice to ditch the wax. A whole ritual has disappeared now. Plus, the Hexa looks great, I think. Thanks again for the report. Any video posted of you surfing those boards?

anonsurfer

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 01, 2016, 12:56:55 PM »
Thanks for the kind words on my boards, I am happy with how they turned out, especially how the Hexatraction looks (or doesn't look).   I enjoy the performance of a smaller board and the challenges of progressing my paddling and surfing ability.    In conditions you mentioned it probably would not be as much fun.   
« Last Edit: September 01, 2016, 01:00:16 PM by anonsurfer »

surfafrica

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • YouTube
« Reply #41 on: October 06, 2016, 04:03:55 PM »
Anyone compare the Hexatraction with Surfco's Wax Mat?  I plan on using one or the other for full coverage of a new longboard shape.

Surfco Wax Mat - http://www.standupzone.com/forum/index.php/topic,30649.0.html

50 years old, 5'7", 150 lbs, intermediate
Infinity RNB: 7'6 x 28, 95 L https://goo.gl/SqlWR4
Kronos LB: 8'10 x 26.5, 84 L https://goo.gl/4iQdps
Kronos Nano: 7'4 x 26, 81 L https://goo.gl/kAM8W6

anonsurfer

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 12, 2016, 05:58:23 PM »
My latest quiver addition with Hexatraction install.  6'3" Hypto Krypto ...

anonsurfer

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 28, 2017, 12:15:30 PM »
I have been using Hexatraction for over a year now and have been very happy with it.  Here's my latest install, 6'-5" Lazy Boy...

NorthJerzSurfer

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #44 on: April 28, 2017, 12:40:11 PM »
anon- these board sizes are CRAZY.  my go to shortboard PRONE is 60l!  20l less than your SUS!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal