Author Topic: Laugh at Trump all you want  (Read 243255 times)

Chan

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Re: Laugh at Trump all you want
« Reply #1050 on: November 09, 2016, 07:05:34 PM »
It's not an inference.  It is a fact that these are the dates in history when this political power structure has occurred.  Comparing and contrasting this instance to both of these prior elections is useful in determining which (and how) political policies  influenced the economic downturns in both.   This new administration will determine if America (and the world) move on a path to greater peace and prosperity or retract to recession with globalization as the core issue.

lucabrasi

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #1051 on: November 09, 2016, 07:40:32 PM »
aww hell, nothings changed.

".....an election night no one could have predicted......"

and more polls.....exit polls from yesterday.....still.
"whose most qualified......"

and still splitting us up.....
"white educated suburban women, white uneducated suburban women," white educated rural women,..........
asian men in latino neighborhoods
inner city blacks in rural areas

on and on and on it went tonight again.......still.

Guilty here of feeding it as well I guess.
Aren't we all?

Really, really was something else last night watching the coverage. When I sat down again everyone was panicking. Change the station and they were too.
Studios loaded with "great" reporters (or whatever they are) downright losing it. I really enjoyed watching that for the simple reason I just don't get how anyone could have been blindsided or cold cocked. Look who was running. My word. Those are the experts? And they hired more experts to be in there with them. And even more experts. Watching that unravel and the reactions in the studios......no wonder we ended up with those two.
We really need to stop listening to these people and these experts.

This guy......
Nassim Taleb on the Ruling Elites
I need to read that again.

Donald, Hillary, and Obama all made really nice speeches or statements or whatever you want to call them. I saw the later two this evening....edited and summarized by........the experts.
I would like to think along those lines. I wonder.....

Interesting times ahead.
Our cycles are like clocks. Doesn't seem to matter who is president. We moved past 6/bottom a couple years ago from what I see and what I do. Somewhere between 9 and 12 right now. I sure wish I knew where it was on that.
The run here is looking like we good through 18 or 19 right now around here with the way everything is lined up. It will hit 12 and the sky will fall. Then at some point it will start going back up. Always scary when that happens tho, isn't it?

I kind of doubt a wall gets built and I think it will be interesting to see how he gets out of that horseshit he said about that.
I sure hope it's not something angry at 3:00 am on twitter.

Weasels wake

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #1052 on: November 09, 2016, 08:00:19 PM »
I was expecting a Brexit type drop in our stock market, and I guess you could say we sort of had one, maybe, our market took a 1000 point swing (down and up added together, roughly) in about 3 hours, ended up over 200 for the day.  Was that it?  Britian's took over 3 weeks, did cooler heads prevail, seeing farther ahead???

All I know is I wish the wind would come back to Ho'okipa so they could get the contest started back up.  This giant Jaws stuff gets boring after awhile, even Kai thinks so, look, you can see it on his face.
It takes a quiver to do that.

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #1053 on: November 09, 2016, 11:00:11 PM »
Starting “day one” of Trump’s administration, according to his campaign promises -

1     We would have a wall
2     We may temporarily ban Muslims from entering the country
3     We would deport undocumented immigrants
4     We would repeal Obamacare and undo some of Obama’s executive orders

http://fortune.com/2016/11/09/election-donald-trump-presidency/

This was his platform.  And he was able to play to the emotions of his passionate voters to rail against Hillary.  And since Hillary failed to get enough disinterested voters she needed in the swing states - she failed miserably.  Even with the government and media and pollster propaganda machines.  She was and is supremely despised.  Now the question is - will Donald fulfill his contract to his peoples?  And will he be able to ever tweet uncensored at 3am again?    :o
Fast is FUN!   8)
Dominator - Touring Pintail - Bullet V2 - M14 - AS23

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #1054 on: November 09, 2016, 11:59:38 PM »
It is such a shame that those proposals could not have been debated properly. You have got to wonder what went wrong that they were not. There are some there that many people of all persuasions might think were a good idea, and many that most people would not. But regardless, they deserve to be discussed, and as far as I understand it, they weren't - at least properly. (Please correct me if I'm wrong). It would be easy to see that - were you minded to do so - as a liberal media conspiracy. But is something much more insidious happening, that is all about the insulating effect of social media, ratings requirements and suchlike, that is serving to diminish the standard of political discourse? I'd have liked to have heard Hillary explain why Trump's ideas on political term limits, lobbying etc were not a good idea, and I'd have liked to hear Trump explain why he thinks that the US can safely abandon measures aimed at reducing global warming. But instead I sat through all three presidential debates and really I can't remember one single substantive moment of debate about these issues. In fact, looking back it's tough to know how the time passed: both were at their podiums for quite a long time but very little seemed to be communicated except mutual dislike and name-calling. It didn't serve either candidate well, nor the audience, did it? And were these points of Trump's examined sensibly on eg. TV by political reporters, experts etc? Or were they just ridiculed?

I think that maybe - as an outsider from Europe (at least for the moment) - I am finally beginning to understand the Trump phenomenon.

yugi

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #1055 on: November 10, 2016, 12:51:25 AM »
It would be sad to see all the work done towards encouraging clean energy be reversed. Pretty scary if the US no longer honors international climate change treaties and the message that sends to the rest of the world.

Reversing the deal to stop Iran developing nuclear capabilities is pretty worrying too.

I just can’t see much more than short term gains with potentially devastating long term effects in doing that. It’s creepy. Creepy and somewhat ignorant.
 :o

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #1056 on: November 10, 2016, 02:17:14 AM »
This thread has been an interesting window onto the demographics of this forum's contributors. Do the contributors here reflect the demographic of SUPers in the US, or is it only those small sub-sample who will bother to post a reply?

In the UK, I suspect many of the people who voted for Brexit can't afford SUPs plus all the other equipment you need for cold climate SUPing, and can't afford the housing costs near water. Many won't be able to swim well, since their parent won't have been able to afford swim lessons. It's part of the reason perhaps why iSUPs outsell hard boards something like 10-1 in the European market. It's predominantly a sport for older affluent people here (and their kids). The number of hard race-type or DW boards sold is tiny, really. The equipment is a LOT more expensive over here though, so maybe it's different in the US?

tautologies

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #1057 on: November 10, 2016, 02:18:39 AM »
It is such a shame that those proposals could not have been debated properly. You have got to wonder what went wrong that they were not. There are some there that many people of all persuasions might think were a good idea, and many that most people would not. But regardless, they deserve to be discussed, and as far as I understand it, they weren't - at least properly. (Please correct me if I'm wrong). It would be easy to see that - were you minded to do so - as a liberal media conspiracy. But is something much more insidious happening, that is all about the insulating effect of social media, ratings requirements and suchlike, that is serving to diminish the standard of political discourse? I'd have liked to have heard Hillary explain why Trump's ideas on political term limits, lobbying etc were not a good idea, and I'd have liked to hear Trump explain why he thinks that the US can safely abandon measures aimed at reducing global warming. But instead I sat through all three presidential debates and really I can't remember one single substantive moment of debate about these issues. In fact, looking back it's tough to know how the time passed: both were at their podiums for quite a long time but very little seemed to be communicated except mutual dislike and name-calling. It didn't serve either candidate well, nor the audience, did it? And were these points of Trump's examined sensibly on eg. TV by political reporters, experts etc? Or were they just ridiculed?

I think that maybe - as an outsider from Europe (at least for the moment) - I am finally beginning to understand the Trump phenomenon.

Its the failure of the 4th estate. They do not press anything. No vetting and no demand for answers. And this inane need for he said she said journalism that leads to these false equivalencies.
I think there was one interview where the interviewer kept on asking the same question to trump, and he kept on not answering. Apart from that the interviewers just move on.

Personally I do not think Trump has read a single policy or act in his life. He is unqualified for the job and we will all be impacted :(

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #1058 on: November 10, 2016, 03:05:08 AM »
While I'm not denying a failure of the 4th Estate, could it be as much about the changing way that people receive their information? Not any people will sit down these days and watch a documentary on TV. In fact many young people - in Europe anyway - don't even own a TV.

47% of the US electorate did not vote. Hillary actually got more votes than Trump, yet was totally trounced. Turnout was especially low amongst young people - as it was amongst young people in the Brexit vote. With the Brexit vote, most younger people wanted to stay in Europe. So if they had actually gone to the polls we would probably have had a different decision. With half the US population not voting, and young people not bothering, maybe you could also say that Trump's success occurred partly because young people didn't vote. Could this be because the traditional media no longer reached the young, and web-based information exchange is too self-selecting and free of the usual checks and balances imposed upon the traditional media?

It's obviously a dangerous situation to have a ruling party/figurehead who actually received a minority of votes, and even more so if a majority of those who didn't vote would have joined the majority not the minority. No wonder we in Europe are seeing media coverage of angry protests on the streets of the US.

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #1059 on: November 10, 2016, 04:08:25 AM »
47% of the US electorate did not vote. Hillary actually got more votes than Trump, yet was totally trounced. Turnout was especially low amongst young people

What we saw here in posts on the Zone turned out to be true.  On the whole, voters did not like their choices in these candidates.  Trump got fewer votes than either Romney or MCcain.  Clinton Got significantly fewer votes than her predecesors.  She edged out Trump in votes but ran up her numbers in areas that could not help her electorally. We elected one of the two most unpopular candidates in history. 

2012 Obama: 65.9m
2016 Clinton: 59.1m = -6.8m
2012 Romney: 60.9m
2016 Trump: 59m = -1.9m

tautologies

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #1060 on: November 10, 2016, 04:15:19 AM »

Traditionally the fewer people participate the better GOP does, which these numbers show. It is also why they choose voter suppression as a strategic tool to gain advantages in elections.

It is also very customary for the incumbent party to have a lower turnout. That said, I thought DEM would understand the importance of defeating a person like Trump. I guess all the voices in the media talking about how the lead was huge and it was a done deal probably didn't help....and the fact the Clinton seem to not be able to inspire the action required.   

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #1061 on: November 10, 2016, 04:29:21 AM »
I guess all the voices in the media talking about how the lead was huge and it was a done deal probably didn't help....and the fact the Clinton seem to not be able to inspire the action required.

That will be a heavy burden for the Clinton's to bare because it is clear that this election was more lost than won.

PDLSFR

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #1062 on: November 10, 2016, 04:45:02 AM »
We need to do away with the Electoral Vote and move strictly to the popular vote, doing that will result in significantly higher polling numbers as people are sick and tired of their vote NOT counting.
Infinity RNB 8'2
Ron House 9'7
Ron House 10'7
Infinity New Deal 10'
Custom Infinity New Deal 10'
VEC 11'
Focus Bluefin 14'

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #1063 on: November 10, 2016, 04:58:32 AM »
The sister of one of the politicians who created the Brexit vote in the UK explained the different views on Trump roughly as follows: Trump supporters took what he said seriously but not literally, whereas anti-Trump people take him literally but not seriously. It is an interesting explanation of how different people hearing the same thing from Trump can have very different reactions to it. If this is true, then maybe Trump supporters are not necessarily expecting him to eg. actually build a wall. It is more a figure of speech to indicate that he'll e.g. make illegal immigration extremely hard and the penalties harsh. IF this is the case then maybe Trump supporters will be apparently more forgiving if he doesn't do exactly what he said he'd do. They never really expected in the first place.

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #1064 on: November 10, 2016, 05:03:17 AM »
I guess all the voices in the media talking about how the lead was huge and it was a done deal probably didn't help....and the fact the Clinton seem to not be able to inspire the action required.

That will be a heavy burden for the Clinton's to bare because it is clear that this election was more lost than won.
Presumably this is effectively the end of the Clintons in public life? It would be a curious end to their dynasty to have the ambitions of a woman rather than the weaknesses of a man bring them down.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2016, 05:05:04 AM by Area 10 »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal