Author Topic: Laugh at Trump all you want  (Read 243230 times)

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
Re: Laugh at Trump all you want
« Reply #840 on: October 23, 2016, 05:23:25 AM »
Area, that anti vote that you are talking about is core to the problem.  You have people on both sides defending (or at least overlooking) policies, actions and ethics that they would otherwise never accept, let alone extol.  It is a downbound spiral.  The mindset becomes: We have to support the entirety of our now favored candidate at the risk that any criticism might help our opponent.  All good or all bad. 

That all-in acceptance has been the status quo for some time now, but the further the candidates get from our true values the more damaging this becomes.  We signal to our parties that this candidate type is acceptable to us, even desired.  It becomes less possible to see candidates that match what we actually might want.

So you have a lot of voters that are dismayed with their own positions.  Knowing that they will vote to block someone that they truly detest but almost equally disgusted that they will be telegraphing approval of the system that has brought their candidate to the top of the ticket.

lucabrasi

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #841 on: October 23, 2016, 05:40:20 AM »
Naw.  Anti Trump votes go to Ross Perot or aren't placed. I think Hilary doesn't get any that weren't intended for her anyways. My youngest is 20. She is looking at the other two and voting for one of them. I think that may be happening a bit. Be interesting to see if they get a bigger piece of the pie this time. I think they will.
Manipulated? Of course. Not collusion in that sense of the word tho, or at least how I think of the word. On an individual basis, most journalists have integrity I am sure. I think after talking to them we would all think that but wrap them up in the media machine, poof. Slants and manipulation are everywhere and always have been. How can they not? I probably give too much credit there tho. This "see the headline and click on it"  is not journalism tho but it is our media now in many ways.  I probably need to look up the definition of journalism tho.  Where does traditional end and social start as far as media goes?
I not sure I would call social media manipulated and I wouldn't consider it journalism. It is designed to get the message out and not to report isn't it? A whole different game. Being subtle isn't needed or required.
(admin has posted, I will keep this the same tho)

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #842 on: October 23, 2016, 08:43:38 AM »
It all comes down to voter turnout and voter apathy vs passion.  So many despise Hillary while Trump can do no wrong.  So if Hillary voters do not vote - she will lose.  Trump rallies apparently have a lot more voters attending and enthusiatic.  And both media and government are both controlled huge propaganda machines.  Often not to your benefit.  Money power and greed.  But applies to businesses as well.  Soon enough we will all see what happens just like Brexit.  And life will carry on.
I wonder if Trump has been so extreme that Hillary will attract a "anti-Trump" vote as much as (or even more than) a "pro-Hillary" one.

This election certainly portrays a deeply divided America, and that is reflected in the comments on this forum.

Back in July this was the position already based on registered voters -

“Negative voting” is also widespread on the Democratic side. Among those planning to support Clinton in the general election, half (50%) say they think of their choice as more of a vote against Trump than for Clinton. About as many (48%) say their vote is more for Clinton than against Trump.

http://www.people-press.org/2016/07/07/2-voter-general-election-preferences/
Fast is FUN!   8)
Dominator - Touring Pintail - Bullet V2 - M14 - AS23

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #843 on: October 23, 2016, 09:16:22 AM »
My vote will certainly be negative. I can't vote for Trump. Manipulation and propaganda aside, he has demonstrated repeatedly that he is a dangerous buffoon. I can't stand to listen to him, how could I vote for him.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #844 on: October 23, 2016, 09:57:48 AM »
SNL nailed it.  Who are you gunna vote for, the Republican or Donald Trump?

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #845 on: October 23, 2016, 11:56:26 AM »
Too bad you can't vote No for president.

Voting for one candidate because you hate them less than another looks the same to the party as if you're voting for them because you love them.  Even if they know it's not true, they'll claim it is.  And whichever candidate wins will claim their victory proves they have a nationwide mandate for their platform.

If the election looks like it will be close, I don't see many people voting third party, because they'll feel too much is at stake.   But if people feel one candidate is going to win anyway, third party voting could get pretty high, although it would have to be extraordinarily high (more than it likely will be) to have much impact on the next election.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2016, 11:58:13 AM by pdxmike »

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #846 on: October 23, 2016, 12:35:23 PM »
Too bad there isn't a viable third party candidate--someone popular enough to actually take the election. The political parties need a huge shakeup.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

lucabrasi

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #847 on: October 23, 2016, 01:27:56 PM »
I can't stand to listen to him, how could I vote for him.
  This was shown to me yesterday. A little long but it definitely has it's moments, especially starting at 4:25 with that famous scene.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KU_Jdts5rL0

WingSuit

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #848 on: October 23, 2016, 02:20:14 PM »
It's weird.  First, I am no fan of either Billary or the Donald.  It's ironic that she is married to Bill Clinton, the man who literally made it ok to lie in America.  "I did not have sexual relations with that woman."  Any explanation, no matter how implausible, will appease.  Case in point, you can lie to Harvard about your status of (not) an American Indian, have Harvard publicize their (not) an Indian faculty member, and then get elected to the Senate. We are about to elect the biggest chronic, pathological liar, the most unethical politician ever, because the other party nominated Bozo the Clown.  All these Wikileaks emails, every day it's a new lie.  She told the FBI she had no IT expertise, yet she gave speeches bragging of that same expertise.  Even when her aides finally convinced her to apologize for the home brew server, she said "It was allowed."  It was absolutely, definitively, not allowed, and is still not allowed to conduct government business in secret, to include communicating with the President using a pseudonym on the open internet.  The First Lady said, for the first time in my life I am proud to be an American not that my husband is president.  I am feeling just the opposite.  Verging on ashamed.  And I served my country for 35 years for this?

Weasels wake

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #849 on: October 23, 2016, 03:04:01 PM »
Who knows, just because of all this, the winner could end up being a 1 termer, and then a 3rd party takes the office in 4 years.
Hea, the Cubbies made it to the World Series, weirder things have happened.
It takes a quiver to do that.

yugi

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #850 on: October 24, 2016, 07:57:45 AM »
I don't think traditional media is as manipulated as social media, close, but not totally. there's still some semblance of fact checking and reporting that goes on. Or maybe it's just that traditional media isn't important anymore. But the constant manipulation of social media with obvious propaganda is troubling. It's reinforcing a polarization that was always present by now is becoming stark and dangerous.

That's not what she said...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iIUMxyEgxCo

yugi

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #851 on: October 24, 2016, 08:40:38 AM »
Sorry, it isn't my problem (luckily) but here is a good summary of this thread...

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #852 on: October 24, 2016, 10:18:49 AM »
Yup.  All the memes are focused on fluff.  Much more interesting:

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #853 on: October 24, 2016, 10:41:07 AM »
I think the $200Billion spending from China is inflated...

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #854 on: October 24, 2016, 03:31:03 PM »
The amount of military spending in the States has always been amazing to us.  Maybe reallocating some of those funds for other purposes - might make America Great Again.  But then again that comes down to money power and greed - so probably will not happen anytime soon.  ;)
Fast is FUN!   8)
Dominator - Touring Pintail - Bullet V2 - M14 - AS23

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal