Author Topic: Wood buffalo national park SUP expedition - Outpost magazine  (Read 2954 times)

robon

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Wood buffalo national park SUP expedition - Outpost magazine
« on: March 07, 2016, 07:49:45 PM »
I came across this sup expedition in Wood Buffalo National Park in Northern Alberta while looking for northern paddling destinations. What a trip these guys had. I travelled part of the park years ago while on the way to the northwest territories. It's an amazing place.

http://www.outpostmagazine.com/51-view-from-here/476-wood-buffalo-national-park

deepmud

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Wood buffalo national park SUP expedition - Outpost magazine
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2016, 10:05:37 PM »
I wish they talked a bit more (at all) about the technical  aspects of preparing the gear, cooking, the types of boards(maybe psi ratings? One of them is really looking "taco" in every pic) , etc ....but it looks like an awesome trip anyway.

To anyone with limited time, just click the pictures with a SUP in it - the rest aren't about the river paddling.

robon

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2016, 06:50:30 AM »
Yeah, the layout is a bit awkward, but I like learning more about the place even though I've been there before. I'm into a bit of a backstory for all sup expeditions. Makes it much more interesting.
'

spirit4earth

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2016, 06:48:23 PM »
That's beautiful!  I'd love to spend some time in Canada.  When I was a very young kid, my grandparents had a cabin on Lake Kashwakamak in Ontario.  I'd love to paddle on that lake.  I haven't been up there in years....

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2016, 09:22:33 PM »
Interesting trip and article. Yeah, I'd like some meat on the bone though, what worked, what didn't, how they packed and what they carried. What they needed and didn't have. I also see what you mean about the taco--always the guy in the red. Either he had the crappiest board, or he didn't feel like pumping it up, or he's a lot heavier, or perhaps he brought along his treasured fishing weight collection.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

deepmud

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2016, 11:40:13 AM »
On a weird sort of segue - Wood bison were recently reintroduced here in Alaska :D

I looked again - I've decided Red's board was rated "11psi" and he was scared to push it past 10. That's my biased and unscientific opinion :D

ford

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2016, 01:01:04 PM »
Yeah it wasn't the best format.... a better writer could do a lot more with that story I think... but it was still good.

I'd love to do something like that.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal