Author Topic: Wetsuit or not for 60 degree ocean water?  (Read 11790 times)

ipup

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
Wetsuit or not for 60 degree ocean water?
« on: March 05, 2016, 04:14:04 PM »
I'm a beginner, and I'm thinking of getting an ISUP for exercise.  I get really hot when I exercise.   But I read that you might only last 1-2 hours in 60 degree ocean water before hypothermia will kill you.  Should I think about getting a wetsuit, or just (try to) stay close to shore?

Thanks.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2016, 04:17:35 PM by ipup »

Quickbeam

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Re: Wetsuit or not for 60 degree ocean water?
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2016, 04:31:58 PM »
I would be wearing a wet suit and using a leash. And while I don't want to open up a huge debate, when the water is that cold, I also use a full PFD.

I should clarify that I don't regularly paddle the ocean, but do paddle at a lake I live on. The wetsuit I wear is a Farmer John, which is much more comfortable than a full wetsuit. Doesn't offer as much protection, but is fine for the kind of paddling I do.

Infinity Blackfish 12’ 6” x 23”
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 24”
Infinity Whiplash 12' 6" x 24 1/2"
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 26”
Bark Competitor 12’ 6” x 29”
Red Paddle Explorer (Inflatable) 13' 2" x 30
Starboard Airline (Inflatable) 12’ 6” x 27

PDLSFR

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2016, 04:36:11 PM »
Not sure you'd need more than a 2mm wetsuit for 60 degree paddling. If your surfing and in the water maybe a 3/2 but I think you'd be hot in that.

What's your location ?
Infinity RNB 8'2
Ron House 9'7
Ron House 10'7
Infinity New Deal 10'
Custom Infinity New Deal 10'
VEC 11'
Focus Bluefin 14'

supsurf-tw

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2016, 04:52:21 PM »
60 and I trunk it as long as the suns out and wind is low.
Boards:

8-10 x 31 Egg
8-11 X 32 Double wing Fangtail Tom Whitaker
8-6 X 30 1\2  Inbetweener Tom Whitaker
8-4 x 30 Hyper quad Tom Whitaker (wife's now)
8-4 X 31 1\4.  Round (wide) Diamond Tail Quad Tom Whitaker
 9-4 X 30 1\2. Swallow Stinger Quad Tom Whitaker (ex wifes now)
10-0 Brusurf for teach

digger71

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2016, 05:09:51 PM »
Kind of a loaded question that has a lot more to do with safety than comfort most likely.  Especially as a beginner don't put yourself in a position where it could take you "1-2 hours" to get back to shore - especially on an inflatable that could have an issue and deflate on you.  Your swimming ability and fitness will dictate how far out you should comfortably go.  And where a leash! 

With that said...

60 degrees is basically San Diego in the winter.  For me...

Stand up surfing
Assuming sun and 60-70 air temps
Under 4ft - long sleeve 1.5mm top and trunks
4ft and over - 2mm long sleeve spring, short sleeve full (just more time in the water when there is size)
When the air temp drops I will move to a 3/2 full

Fitness paddling is different.  If the air is above 50 and I don't plan on falling in (bay, lagoon, ocean with minimal shore break) I just wear the trunks and/or the type of workout gear I might go hiking or mountain biking in.  Some combo of tights, performance shirt, etc.  A wool cap is a nice addition when the air gets colder.

If the surf is going to get me on the way out or I want to catch some waves along the way (again assuming decent air temps) I will wear a 2mm spring or short sleeve full and take the top down when I get warmed up.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2016, 05:26:32 PM »
If you're paddling hard, you'll boil. But as a beginner you are wise to consider the safety aspects. In 60 degree water if you get separated from your board and have to swim, you need to be out of the water in fifteen minutes, max. Yes, you can live for longer, but you'll be dumb as a box of hammers in 30 minutes. I helped look for some lost hunters once in three feet of snow on Mt. Emily. When the searchers found one guy he had probably walked for no more than an hour, then dragged some branches around, laid on them,  took off his boots and socks, and drifted off.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

LeeBee

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2016, 06:20:02 PM »
Take a look at 2-pieces for the wet suit. Several brands have light weight 2 mm tops in a light color and reduce the overheating issue. I have both shorts and full pants. This arrangement is much easier to put on or off as there is no zipper. It is surprising that the wet suit manufacturers do not seem to recognize that a lot of their suits are used above the surface of the water and a light color would help a lot on not getting too hot on a sunny day.
Do not know what you are paddling, but always have a PFD, and a leash. If you have an inflatable SUP, think about what would happen if you had a leak. It surprises me the manufacturers do not consider the ease and cost of a single inflation valve off-sets the potential leak issue.
2019 Mistral Stealth 17' 6" x 24"
2019 Mistral Interceptor 17' 6" x 24"
2017 NSP Ninja 14' x 25"
2016 JP Australia All-Around 11' 8" x 31"
Stellar S16S surf ski
Kai Barton ARES OC-1 outrigger canoe

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2016, 06:49:04 PM »
If you have good balance on your board you will boil like crazy in a wet suit.  But if you go in - a wet suit is worth it.  My wife and I have been paddling straight through our winters in Vancouver and wear shorts and a light top at most.  Often we get so hot we bare skin to catch some Vitamin D when the sun is out.  So it really depends on you - how stable your board is - and how good your SUP skills are.  Some beginners do not fall in at all - so a wet suit is major overkill.  But often it is better err on the side of safety when first starting out.  So stay close to shore at first until you get your sea legs - then venture out a couple of miles after your confidence and skill builds.   ;)
Fast is FUN!   8)
Dominator - Touring Pintail - Bullet V2 - M14 - AS23

hbsteve

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2016, 09:26:37 PM »
As a beginner on an inflatable, stay close to shore.  Knowing where you plan on paddling would help us answer your wetsuit question better. 
For southern California, digger71 gave a good answer.  A wetsuit would normally be too hot, if you are paddling mostly flat water.  My feet cramp when they get cold, so I wear booties, seal socks, or vooties by Victory Kore Dry, until the temps. get higher.

Ichabod Spoonbill

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Hudson Valley, NY
    • View Profile
    • HVH2O
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2016, 04:36:28 AM »
I face that issue as the temps come up — usually mid-May. I have a 2.5 mm farmer john which I usually wear in those temperatures. It depends on the day. You can take a dunking in 60ΊF water with our much problem. I swim and surf sometimes in water that cold in Cape Cod — no wetsuit, but it's also right by the beach.

As a beginner, things will happen that you don't expect. You will probably be falling a fair amount, and that's a good reason to wear a wetsuit. Weather conditions on the ocean can get weird; winds can change direction; chop can appear suddenly. Best to play it safe for now. A farmer john is a great choice for these kind of conditions. It leaves your arms exposed so you can cool and have more movement. NRS makes some good ones. If you get hot, you can easily cool yourself win the water.

I would also suggest the full PFD. That will assure you pop out of the water immediately. When you get a better sense of the conditions and your abilities, then you can play around with equipment. Bring some water too. Camelbacks will fit right over your PFD.

Also, don't forget that leash!
Pau Hana 11' Big EZ Ricochet (Beluga)

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2016, 09:31:29 AM »
Pup, There are about three things you posted triggering my reply: Beginner - iSUP - Ocean.  If you are a general civilian, not done a lot of yoga, surfing, kites, gymnastics, etc.. and you attempted to push a blow-up thru the shorebreak in the Atlantic I know, you'd likely CL that iSUP as soon as you got home. 

However, had you found a spot behind a barrier island or local river where canoeists launch, you could be happy as a clam with your new found sport.  I enjoy a good fight but I prefer ones where the odds are not so bad. 

...and –in the ocean– I would always wear a full suit in 60f (I take the ocean very seriously) ..bayside, not so much. ("Getting warm?" ..jump in!?)   Play on.. safely/smart.

Jim
Atlantis Mistress .. Blue Planet MultiTasker ..   Atlantis Venom

SaMoSUP

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2016, 09:40:14 AM »
Another thing to consider is dehydration. Depending on air temp, if you get hot in the wetsuit you may sweat a lot if you don't fall in much.

baddog

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2016, 11:28:48 AM »
ditto digger71.

ipup

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2016, 02:24:29 PM »
Thanks for all the advice!

I'm currently in SoCal, but more typically I expect I'll be on mountain lakes.  I plan on driving to a marina and practicing before heading out into the open ocean.  In the open ocean, I plan on staying as close to shore as possible, like just beyond the surf line, and paddling parallel to shore, and I won't go out unless the waves are really small.   But I wanted to take some precautions if for some reason current or wind somehow kept me from getting into shore immediately in the case of an emergency. 

Also, if the wind suddenly picked up, is it easy enough to lay down on the board and paddle into shore?

I also plan on getting a leash and some kind of PFD. But after reading about that girl drowning in the harbor when her leash got tangled in a boat and held her under water, I'm wondering if I should avoid using a leash in the marina?

I'm certainly not a waterman, so I have to be careful.

For hydration, do people generally wear CamelBacks?

I would always wear a full suit in 60f

Is it realistic to have the top rolled down, and then if I got separated from my board to wiggle into the top while in the water?
« Last Edit: March 06, 2016, 02:59:08 PM by ipup »

ipup

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2016, 02:34:07 PM »
« Last Edit: March 06, 2016, 02:35:57 PM by ipup »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal