Author Topic: Racking and de-racking DW board in high wind  (Read 8391 times)

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Racking and de-racking DW board in high wind
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2016, 06:06:20 PM »
The menehunes  are fun to watch during unloading. Unfortunately they tend to be fast, which is irritating and dangerous. It's hard to see them coming up on your six.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

peterp

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2016, 10:23:01 PM »
Down here we use the Lockrack - works a bomb even in really strong winds as you can secure board with one Lockrack arm up and then insert second arm to fix.

covesurfer

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2016, 10:10:20 AM »
The Lockrack looks cool. But, according to the promo, you need different rack models for different water craft. I'm intrigued with the design though and am going to check into it further.

I have an Inno locking rack, which I like for it's security (solid attachment, easy to load, lockable) and it works great on my sedan for carrying boards. On my van, it's a lot harder to get it closed quickly and, if it's mounted on the bars, it takes up a lot of space and limits my overall carrying capacity. So, I don't use it much anymore.

On Maui, it's common to surf in the morning and downwind when the wind comes up later. One day might be perfect for ski or OC, the next for standup. The paddlers switch it up frequently and, lately, it's nearly always a mix of boats and boards. So, maximum racking versatility is pretty necessary. Just last week we had an OC1, two skis and two standup boards on a run. With combo's like that, it's all about wide bars.

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2016, 09:31:50 AM »
I like the ropes too. I took two 30' pieces of climbing rope and tied them to my racks so that I have 15' of rope to use on either side. I also use locking straps when I think I need them but even then I use the ropes to secure my board in the wind 1st. most of the time my straps sit in my truck unless theft is a concern.

I had a friend that had someone else cinch straps down on his brand new Bark and crack the rails. When I use ropes I have just enough tension to keep them secure...much softer than when I use straps mostly because of the mechanical advantage Bill mentioned but I also feel the boards are far more secure (except for theft) with ropes than straps. FWIW it's not uncommon for me to drive 40 miles at 75-80 mph with two boards on my rack. No worries at all with the ropes.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

Kaihoe

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2016, 01:58:24 PM »
I use my leash to help secure the board. 

At our standard spot we need to park side on.  We load from the side and up wind. As soon as the board as on the roof I lash the board handle (side handles) to the roofrack rail using my leash cuff, then strap it down. I even do this when loading with a helper.

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2016, 05:46:40 PM »
Even when you think you have it you may not. I still cringe when I think about the 18' Penetrator that Bill and I had ripped from our hands despite both of us having what I thought was a firm grip at each end. Just as we got it up high enough to put on his jeep a big gust tore it from our hands.  It spun on its axis like a top while it went up and over the roof of the jeep....over the car next to us and down onto the gravel parking lot 25' away. Fortunately it landed very flat and other than a couple of chips no damage. Ever since then I have a death grip even in light winds.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

robon

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2016, 06:39:25 PM »
I have had the same SPT locking straps for six years now. Paid for themselves many times over. Mechanism still works fine and the rubberized buckles are still intact and don't damage my boards. The SPT are wider than standard straps and I think this helps to minimize damage. I have heard of the cables causing damage on board rails, but you have to be really torquing tight for that to happen. Just put them on snug and done. It's easy to gauge. Bit of a break in period, and I wasn't sure about them at first, but easily worth it. The cables add weight so you can throw the straps over when its windy, and the rubber buckles don't cause damage. I don't throw the buckle side over anyways. The cables started coming out after about 3 or 4 years, and I was too lazy to sew the ends shut again, but the straps still function perfectly.

I usually park in relatively sheltered bays, so loading and unloading isn't usually a big concern when it gets really windy, but some of the tips on here will come in handy.

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2016, 08:49:43 PM »
SPT locking straps...The cables started coming out after about 3 or 4 years

Mine too robin.  I Just cut a couple inches off the protruding cable and melted the ends with a lighter (over a year ago, still good). 

robon

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 02, 2016, 09:12:22 PM »
SPT locking straps...The cables started coming out after about 3 or 4 years

Mine too robin.  I Just cut a couple inches off the protruding cable and melted the ends with a lighter (over a year ago, still good).

That's what I should have done. Didn't lock the straps often, but the extra weight is great for flinging the cables over when it gets a bit breezy and the buckle mechanism still works fine several years later. Even without the cables, the SPT sea to summit  straps are still burlier and much higher quality than standard straps, and the extra width helps spread out the lashing force over a bigger rail area. Will probably get the same set of straps again. Good product.

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #24 on: March 02, 2016, 11:01:47 PM »
If you want straps look at the kanulocks.....I had the steelcores for a few years and liked them but they rusted inside and fell apart. The kanulocks are far better, two cables, softer yet seemingly tougher thicker material, real easy to close and open. only downside so far is the somewhat cheap key...no issues with it yet but its just stamped. If you get more than one pair you'll want to order from them direct so you can get matching keys. Even though the key feels cheap if it does happen to break I have 4 of them.
Bob

robon

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 02, 2016, 11:49:19 PM »
Kanulocks are what I have. Got the yellow ones stamped with the SPT logo. Two steel cables. The keys are definitely the weak link in the system and where most of the complaints come from. The keys are too flimsy, but once you get the hang of leveraging the buckle, it locks fairly easily.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal