Author Topic: ISUP: Beginner board advice.  (Read 9575 times)

ipup

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
ISUP: Beginner board advice.
« on: February 26, 2016, 04:01:35 PM »
Me:
6'3"
240 lbs
Beginner

Here are some boards I am looking at:

Red Paddle Sport(12’6” x 30” x 5.9”)
$1,600
rider weight: up to 330 lbs
warranty: 1 year
fins: 1
pump
bag

Naish Glide(12’ x 34” x 6”)
$1,374
rider weight: up to 230 lbs
warranty:  1 year
pump
bag

Naish One(12’6” x 30” x 6”)
$898
rider weight: up to 230 lbs
warranty: 1 year
pump
bag

Isle Touring(12’6” x 31” x 6”)
$845
rider weight: up to 235 lbs
warranty: 2 years
fins: 3
pump
paddle
bag

Am I too heavy for the Naish boards?  What difference does 3 fins v. 1 fin make?  What advantages does the most expensive board have over the least expensive?  Any other recommendations would be welcome as well. 

Thanks.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2016, 04:08:19 PM by ipup »

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: ISUP: Beginner board advice.
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2016, 06:01:25 PM »
I'm about your height and weight.. and this is what I chose to buy..

btw imo three small fins are good for surfing and white water but one larger single fin is better for most flat water paddling..

lucabrasi

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2016, 06:04:55 PM »
I a bit lighter than you but have been around 220 before. That Naish Glide you (and DJ) show has caught my eye before. RED has a new 13' board I would consider I think it's the Explorer. You didn't say where you will go and what you want to do either. That may be reason to eye the wider ones, (+30") especially coming out of the gate. Also depending on what you are hoping to do you may want the narrower ones (30" or less).
Look around here at previous discussions. You will see RED and ULI standing pretty much head and shoulders above all else. Nothing wrong with Naish, Starboard, Fanatic, Hobie, lots of others tho.

Green Water Sports

• Site Sponsor
  • Peahi Status
  • https://greenwatersports.com
    • View Profile
    • Green Water Sports - Inflatable SUP boards & stand up paddle boards & more
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2016, 06:06:18 PM »
Hi ipup,

One more stat you need to throw in there for a real comparison is inflation pressure.

Red: up to 25PSI
Naish: 15PSI
Isle: 15PSI

These figures, along with thickness, are 2 of the main factors that control board stiffness and therefore performance. Then considering these figures with the suggested max payload, you'd be pushing the limit of 3 out of 4 boards. That's not to say they'll paddle well on glassy flat water, but as soon as there's a ripple, your weight will be flexing these boards.

3 vs 1 fin. Not much different on these style boards really. 3 fins will track better but on an inflatable and the style of fin Isle use, the boxes on inflatables are a bit draggy.

I've just done a shoot and video of the 12'6" Sport. Review to come soon. I just posted the 10'6" Ride review and video with detailed pics, you can see the construction and read up on the details. The construction quality is next level this year for Red Paddle Co. Their MSL Fusion construction is really something quite unbelievable. Just as strong, better finish, little bit stiffer and 20% lighter.

http://greenwatersports.com/6760/review-of-the-2016-red-paddle-co-10-6-ride-inflatable-paddle-board
Review of the 12'6" Sport to follow in a week or two.

Naish and Isle boards are just a regular light weight back pack while the Red bag is a wheeled bag and a back pack. The Titan Pump is pretty amazing too. Inflating the 12'6" Sport only took me 5m32s to 20PSI, including RSS Battens. Then another 30 odd seconds to install the fin.

Why is the Red so much more: bag, pump, construction (12'6" Sport complete is only 24lbs and this is the "board with a board" super strong construction), quality finish in that it barely looks like an inflatable, RSS stiffening battens.

Starboard is nice too, 12'6" Touring Deluxe at 6", 18PSI. It's like a mid way board between your suggestions and the Red.

Others to consider: yes, all Red boards, but they are the best...

10'8" Ride as an all rounder: http://greenwatersports.com/shop/red-paddle-co-10-8-ride
12'6" Explorer for a more stable 32" platform, more of a touring board with handles and tie downs: http://greenwatersports.com/shop/red-paddle-co-12-6-explorer
13'2" Explorer+ for a narrower faster board (30"): http://greenwatersports.com/shop/red-paddle-co-13-2-explorer-plus

12'6" sport: http://greenwatersports.com/shop/red-paddle-co-12-6-sport

The kicker right now: pre-season special with a $249 3 piece paddle for free with all Red's sold.

Any questions, let me know.

Julian
Julian
https://greenwatersports.com
Green Water Sports LLC - Inflatable SUP boards & stand up paddle boards & more. Call us on 1-888-252-4983
Red Paddle Co, Starboard, SIC Maui, Tahe, Naish, Fanatic, Accent Paddles, Onyx, FCS, Vamo

Quickbeam

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2016, 06:36:29 PM »
+1 on Red's. I haven't seen the new ones, but I've got a 2014 Red and it's a good board.
Infinity Blackfish 12’ 6” x 23”
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 24”
Infinity Whiplash 12' 6" x 24 1/2"
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 26”
Bark Competitor 12’ 6” x 29”
Red Paddle Explorer (Inflatable) 13' 2" x 30
Starboard Airline (Inflatable) 12’ 6” x 27

ipup

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2016, 07:56:35 PM »
« Last Edit: February 26, 2016, 08:40:55 PM by ipup »

ipup

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2016, 07:59:09 PM »
Thanks for the responses!

I'm about your height and weight.. and this is what I chose to buy...[Naish Glide inflatable].
Did you consider the Naish One?  Why or why not?  How is the Naish pump?

You didn't say where you will go and what you want to do either.
I want to get a board for an alternative form of exercise.  I don't really know what I want to do beyond that.  :) Currently, I'm at the ocean, but normally I'm near rivers and lakes.

One more stat you need to throw in there for a real comparison is inflation pressure.

Okay, I was wondering whether a big guy needs the higher inflation pressures offered by Red Paddling.

The Titan Pump is pretty amazing too.

I watched some demo videos about that pump.  I wasn’t looking forward to struggling with a cheap pump.

"board with a board" super strong construction
Why isn't the warranty longer for the Red Paddle board?  With the Red Paddle board being almost twice the cost of the Isle, yet having half the warranty, something seems amiss.

I'll be SUP'ing alone, so I would also like to know what other accessories I need to buy.  I read the story about the near catastrophe when the guy was downwinding with his buddies, and after his buddies deserted him, he fell down and his leash broke, and his board blew away.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2016, 09:00:27 PM by ipup »

levity

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2016, 09:26:11 PM »
Did you consider the Naish One?  Why or why not?
I'd recommend against the Naish One for someone your size.  I weigh 160 lb. and found it to be the most bendy, noodle-like inflatable I've ever paddled, even pumped above the recommended limit to 18 psi.  Even this pic from Naish shows it flexing under an average sized rider:

The Red Paddle boards mentioned and Uli boards can handle 20+ psi and are much more rigid.

Of course, demo if you can!

Have fun!

ipup

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2016, 09:34:17 PM »
I'd recommend against the Naish One for someone your size.  I weigh 160 lb. and found it to be the most bendy, noodle-like inflatable I've ever paddled, even pumped above the recommended limit to 18 psi.
Thanks for that.  I was leaning towards the Naish One based on the price.

Even this pic from Naish shows it flexing under an average sized rider:
The horizon is also sagging. That picture was taken with a fish eye lens.  Not the best choice if you are trying to promote a stiff ISUP.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2016, 10:13:49 PM by ipup »

Quickbeam

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2016, 10:09:54 PM »
Is there a reason you have decided to get an inflatable? From what I understand this is your first board and I'm just curious what made you want an inflatable. If it is for convenience and / or because of storage then I totally get it.

I'm only asking because my first board was an inflatable and while I like it, after having been paddling for a year or so, I much prefer my hard board.
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 24”
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 26”

ipup

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2016, 10:16:02 PM »
Is there a reason you have decided to get an inflatable?
I think I need to store it in the back of my car while on trips.  I assume it would get stolen if it was on top of my car on a rack.  Will the high heat during the summer adversely affect the seams when stored rolled up in a car?
« Last Edit: February 26, 2016, 10:22:52 PM by ipup »

ipup

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2016, 10:19:43 PM »

Green Water Sports

• Site Sponsor
  • Peahi Status
  • https://greenwatersports.com
    • View Profile
    • Green Water Sports - Inflatable SUP boards & stand up paddle boards & more
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2016, 05:29:28 AM »
Okay, I was wondering whether a big guy needs the higher inflation pressures offered by Red Paddling.

Pressure is not the only factor but along with thickness and construction it's important, a paddler your weight should be looking for the stiffest board available.

Why isn't the warranty longer for the Red Paddle board?  With the Red Paddle board being almost twice the cost of the Isle, yet having half the warranty, something seems amiss.

1 year seems pretty standard, I was surprised to see the 2 yr warranty for Isle, but maybe being manufacturer direct affords you the chance to cover boards for longer. One time we got a Red warranty claim, and they replaced it with a brand new/latest model board even though it was well after the 1 year.

I'll be SUP'ing alone, so I would also like to know what other accessories I need to buy.  I read the story about the near catastrophe when the guy was downwinding with his buddies, and after his buddies deserted him, he fell down and his leash broke, and his board blew away.

PFD, inflatable kind or normal kind. Leash. Some do double leash if they are concerned one will break. Cell phone in a waterproof case. Check forecasts and tell a friend where you are and when you should be back if you're really getting out in the wild or off shore.

I still stand my by suggestions. The 10'8" Ride as an all rounder and the others of varying specs to suit a more exercise oriented/touring style.
Julian
https://greenwatersports.com
Green Water Sports LLC - Inflatable SUP boards & stand up paddle boards & more. Call us on 1-888-252-4983
Red Paddle Co, Starboard, SIC Maui, Tahe, Naish, Fanatic, Accent Paddles, Onyx, FCS, Vamo

Quickbeam

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2016, 08:31:14 AM »
Is there a reason you have decided to get an inflatable?
I think I need to store it in the back of my car while on trips.  I assume it would get stolen if it was on top of my car on a rack.  Will the high heat during the summer adversely affect the seams when stored rolled up in a car?

I don't think that should be an issue. I wouldn't leave an inflated board out in the sun, but I don't think it will hurt to leave it rolled up in the car when it's hot.

I also noticed you had concerns about the warranty on Reds' vs. another brand. Can't comment on the other brand, but I did have a problem on my Red board. It was a very unusual situation in that the fin at the front of the board was splitting (the plastic fin split). Red was excellent to deal with and ended up just replacing my board with a brand new one. Haven't had any problems with the replacement board. So I guess my point is, it's one thing to have a good warranty on paper, but it's also really helpful to know how the manufacturer is going to deal with you if you have a warranty claim.

And one final piece of advice that someone gave me when I was getting my first board. They told me that whatever board I got it probably wouldn't be my last, but one thing I wanted to make sure and do was to get a good paddle, because it can make a big difference in the paddling experience.

Best of luck to you in your decision making. Let us know how you make out.
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 24”
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 26”

photofr

• Peahi Status
  • Dakine… fun
    • View Profile
    • Extreme Outdoor Photography
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2016, 02:53:03 PM »
Personally, I'd recommend a 14' board.
With your weight, I believe that you will be a lot more comfortable.

You can't really go wrong with:
Starboard
Naish
Red Paddle

If you want a pump that will make your life easier:
Starboard & Red Paddle.
Nelo SUP - 14' x 23"
Nelo Surfski 560M - 18'4" x 17"

* Recent Posts

post Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
[SUP General]
Dusk Patrol
Today at 12:51:49 PM
post Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
[SUP General]
Night Wing
Today at 06:29:07 AM
post Re: Sunova Faast Pro Allwater 14x27
[Classifieds]
gcs
April 18, 2024, 01:22:14 PM
post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard