Author Topic: Lange Rack on a Jeep to carry SUPs?  (Read 3111 times)

CrosswindPaddle

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Lange Rack on a Jeep to carry SUPs?
« on: February 22, 2016, 09:10:41 AM »
Anyone have a Lange Rack on their Jeep Wranglers for SUP transportation?
Pictures or reviews would be very helpful!

http://www.4wd.com/Jeep-Exterior-Parts-Accessories/The-Lange-Rack-System.aspx?t_c=3&t_s=82&t_pt=3426&t_pn=LAN110-300
Jimmy Lewis Slice 12'6
SUP ATX R2 8.125" Race Paddle
Riviera BUMP 8.5" Paddle

APPST_Paddle

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Lange Rack on a Jeep to carry SUPs?
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2016, 09:28:58 AM »
I looked at all of the various racks for Jeeps, but ended up just using regular Yakima racks and attaching to the hard top on my JK 4 door. What style Jeep do you have? JK or YJ, or what?

In the summer, I run with a bikini top and just stick the boards out the back between the tire and side with at towel on the tailgate, no issues.
7'6" JL Super Frank Lean
8'2" JL SuperTech 
10'1" JL Black and Blue
14' BIC WS Tracer
6'5" JL Flying-V/GoFoil Maliko 200
Kenalu Ho'oloa 95, Werner Rip Stick 79

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2016, 09:51:57 AM »
I use a Garvin rack on my JK; works with the hardtop, soft top or no top.

CrosswindPaddle

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2016, 09:54:21 AM »
I looked at all of the various racks for Jeeps, but ended up just using regular Yakima racks and attaching to the hard top on my JK 4 door. What style Jeep do you have? JK or YJ, or what?

In the summer, I run with a bikini top and just stick the boards out the back between the tire and side with at towel on the tailgate, no issues.

2007 2 Door JK Hardtop
Jimmy Lewis Slice 12'6
SUP ATX R2 8.125" Race Paddle
Riviera BUMP 8.5" Paddle

WingSuit

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2016, 08:22:51 AM »
Check out Gobi racks.  I have one on my 4Runner. 

APPST_Paddle

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2016, 10:31:09 AM »

2007 2 Door JK Hardtop

I'd just go with regular Yakima/Thule racks, they are easier to take on/off for when you want to take the top off, etc.
7'6" JL Super Frank Lean
8'2" JL SuperTech 
10'1" JL Black and Blue
14' BIC WS Tracer

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2016, 11:13:18 AM »
I used a rack similar to Bean's on my wrangler--the funmobile--but I modifed it a lot with reversible hooked sliding arms that could hold two Hobie Adventure Islands and a canoe saddle in the middle. If I had it to do over again I'd fab the whole thing out of stainless or aluminum.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2016, 11:32:51 AM »
I'm going to have to learn how to weld PB!  I had thought about having one of our local tuna tower fabricators build one but it would have been silly-expensive.  When I need to carry more than a couple boards, I throw a 65" Thule rack with rail grabbers on the Garvin which works pretty well. 

Just a quick note on using conventional racks directly on the JK hardtops.  With the 4 door you have the luxury of rain gutters over the front and back doors and any gutter mount system would work fine.  But, the 2 door only has gutters over the front doors, so the rack spread is too short for anything larger than a short board.  The other alternatives for conventional racks on the hardtop is to install either "artificial gutters" or tracks on the hardtop.

APPST_Paddle

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2016, 02:39:37 PM »
I'm going to have to learn how to weld PB!  I had thought about having one of our local tuna tower fabricators build one but it would have been silly-expensive.  When I need to carry more than a couple boards, I throw a 65" Thule rack with rail grabbers on the Garvin which works pretty well. 

Just a quick note on using conventional racks directly on the JK hardtops.  With the 4 door you have the luxury of rain gutters over the front and back doors and any gutter mount system would work fine.  But, the 2 door only has gutters over the front doors, so the rack spread is too short for anything larger than a short board.  The other alternatives for conventional racks on the hardtop is to install either "artificial gutters" or tracks on the hardtop.

Ahh didn't even think about that. Ok, then I'd check JK-Forum.com
7'6" JL Super Frank Lean
8'2" JL SuperTech 
10'1" JL Black and Blue
14' BIC WS Tracer

* Recent Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal