Author Topic: Sunova Flow 8'4 Review  (Read 7749 times)

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
Sunova Flow 8'4 Review
« on: February 22, 2016, 08:40:57 AM »
Sunova Flow  8'4 x 29 3/8" @ 110L

Me  6'1 170lbs average weight including gear.

I just got this board a few days ago so I can't really give it much of an in depth review. I've also only been surfing for three and a half years so I'm no expert surfer.

First off the board is really beautiful. The workmanship is superb. The deck pad is soft to the touch and I imagine very comfortable with bare feet. Great traction as well.

I added RailSaver Pro mostly just to protect the paint. The rails are supposed to be extremely rugged but I think the paint over the carbon is very thin. I also installed an NSI handle on the tail. I put these on all my boards. They work best if you install them with the pads turned 90 degrees as you'll see in the pics, with the curve of the handle toward the nose.

I was hoping for a nice clean day for the first time on the board but what I got was onshore wind and chop. Normally I wouldn't go out on a day like this but I was dying to try the board. Waves were waist to chest and conditions were difficult. I fully expected to be falling left and right, it being a new board with less volume and a little narrower than my JL World Wide. I hopped on the board and to my amazement, I didn't fall. I paddled out to the line up through the waves and chop and didn't fall. I caught the first wave I tried for and rode it all the way to the end and still didn't fall. Right then I knew I had an awesome board. I didn't fall til the forth wave and it was choppy as hell. So I give the board high very marks for stability.

Session two the next day was much cleaner. The board felt great on the wave and carved better than anything I've ever ridden. I thought it might take a week or two to get used to the board after riding the World Wide for almost a year but the transition was seamless. I was instantly surfing better than I ever have. I feel like my ability just jumped ahead to a new level.

The only negative thing I found is that it is pretty much impossible to get the LiftsSup handle to come out of the board while wearing 7mm mitts. I may have to attach a string to it somehow or carry a tool. Other than that, I absolutely love the board. I couldn't be happier with the purchase.

« Last Edit: February 22, 2016, 09:01:56 AM by Badger »
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300
Sunova Flow  8'10 X 31"  119L
Me - 6'0" - 165lbs - 66yo

K-541`

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
Re: Sunova Flow 8'4 Review
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2016, 07:07:15 PM »
Sweet I want one. Hope that lottery ticket hits tonight!

supthecreek

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2016, 07:18:29 PM »
Badger, that's great.... so glad that you are comfortable on the 8'4 and it is all you hoped for!
I can't wait to share a session with you.... and AkeG..... on his new Speeed.
I feel a Zonerfest coming up  :)

ninja tuna

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2016, 04:06:13 AM »
Good review.

When Creek was down here on his world tour and I was able to ride some of the Sunova's, that handle was the only thing I did not like on the boards. It is great for carrying the boards but  I like to use the handle for climbing back up from the water and that was a pain with that handle to me.

Get some video of yourself so we can see how that thing moves.

I am assuming you rode it as a tri-fin. Are you going to try some it as a quad or other fin configurations.

Does this mean there might be an 8'5 JL worldwide up for slae soon? ;D

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2016, 05:20:03 AM »
Good review.

When Creek was down here on his world tour and I was able to ride some of the Sunova's, that handle was the only thing I did not like on the boards. It is great for carrying the boards but  I like to use the handle for climbing back up from the water and that was a pain with that handle to me.

Get some video of yourself so we can see how that thing moves.

I am assuming you rode it as a tri-fin. Are you going to try some it as a quad or other fin configurations.

Does this mean there might be an 8'5 JL worldwide up for slae soon? ;D

I tried both fin configurations. I'll do a report on that later.

The World Wide is sold but the Stun Gun 9'2 and M-14 are available.

Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2016, 07:15:10 AM »
The only problem I've had with the board is that the Liftsup handle can't be opened while wearing mitts.

So I made a quick fix with a piece of foam, a washer and some 1/8" nylon braid. It works great. There is a small loop sticking out but it's so thin you don't notice it when you step on it.

I may eventually drill a hole through the top of the handle and put the string through there. Then you could stow the string inside the hole, but I'm not sure I want to go drilling holes just yet.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2016, 07:49:17 AM by Badger »
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2016, 08:42:09 AM »
that thing is gorgeous--i want one, but i want a speed, too--so i am confused--hope to try both in march at mauka, and make the choice then

aesthetically i prefer the lines of the flow, and your pics reinforced that

once ive chosen, my L41 will be on the block for a good price/quick sale--the thing is near mint, and rides well, but my guru creek has shed sunova-light on my world

i tried the handle and liked it a lot--not sure why, other than when wearing a mitt, it would bother anyone
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

supthecreek

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2016, 09:15:51 AM »
eastie.... the issue is access.
Great handle, but:
I simply can not get my finger in there, to pull the handle up, with a 3 mil, 5 finger glove on.

Bager, only problem I see with your fix is this.... the handle can go back down once you have your plug out... then what? ;)

I took a tether from a GoPro and looped it around the handle.... it's thin and unobtrusive, but strong and easy to pull the handle up.

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2016, 11:20:43 AM »

Rick,

I can do it with my 3mm gloves. Try using your pinky. 

I don't pull the plug all the way out. Just a light tug makes the handle pop up an inch so that you can get at it. The plug always stays in the hole.

I thought of using some thin string tied around the handle itself but it looked like it would be too tight. Plus thin string is hard to get a hold of with mitts on.

Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2016, 10:11:11 AM »
My foam plug didn't last long. The foam tore in half during the in house testing.

But, looking closer, I noticed there are two little holes in each end of the handle. I ran a string through, made a loop and this seems to work alright. The string doesn't interfere with the handle closing all the way like it would if I just tied it around it.

I just had another great idea. The handle makes a great place to put a card with your name, address and phone number. That way if your board blows out to sea from a broken leash on a windy day, it can be returned. I'm going to make a card and laminate it with some clear packing tape and put it in a ziploc bag until I come up with something better.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2016, 10:41:25 AM by Badger »
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal