Author Topic: Pavones Info Needed: Organic Veggies, Internet, SUP on Plane, etc.  (Read 2697 times)

SocialZealot

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
Hola! My boyfriend and I want to try out Pavones for a month in March or so. I read up to page 17 of this sub-forum and didn't find any recent info for my questions, so here we go!

For health reasons, my boyfriend is on a pretty strict organic vegan diet. He does 3 green juices per day so we need a hefty daily bit of green veggies. Will this be easy to come by in Pavones? Any info on markets (days, times, etc)?

We are pretty easy going, but since we work online internet is pretty important to us. We need a 2-3mb connection that is semi-stable. We live in Cabarete, DR so we can deal with the occasional outage, but we do need to access the internet a few times per day.

I read in some of the posts that you can't bring your boards on the puddle jumpers from San Jose or Liberia, but the last post I saw on this was back in 2012. Is this still true?

We are looking for a simple place to rent with a kitchen for the month, so if anyone has any insight that would be awesome. Obviously, I know about AirBNB and VRBO.

Lastly, we are looking into a place to buy ultimately, so if you are into real estate and want to show us around, hit me up.
I do what I want.

Caribsurf

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Pavones Info Needed: Organic Veggies, Internet, SUP on Plane, etc.
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2016, 09:38:05 AM »
sending you a Private Mmessage

a classmate of mine owns organic farm and other business in Pavones.  He used to own a yoga/spa retreat but not sure he still does.  He's lived there for many years and is a good surfer and knows the lay of the land

ill give you his info in the PM

Hobie Raw 8'10"
Jimmy Lewis Kwad 8'7"
Naish Hover 95 liter 5'7"
F-One Rocket foil board 5'5" 90 liters
Fanatic Aero 1250, 1500, 1750 HA foils
CabrinhaMantis 3.5, 4m 5m. F-One Strike 7m CWC
Hobie 14' race board

SocialZealot

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2016, 11:48:32 AM »
sending you a Private Mmessage

a classmate of mine owns organic farm and other business in Pavones.  He used to own a yoga/spa retreat but not sure he still does.  He's lived there for many years and is a good surfer and knows the lay of the land

ill give you his info in the PM
Wow! Thanks, brother.
I do what I want.

surfercook

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Jersey Shore
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2016, 11:40:04 PM »
I've never been to Pavones but good luck. Always dreamed of that wave! Please post your progress, Zealot!  8)
One could go into a mall in Kansas and ask a teenager "What is a surfer looking for?, and the answer will always be, "The perfect wave"
9'11" PSH Hull Ripper-145 ltr    
9'3" PSH  Hull Ripper- 130ltr 
8'0" Corevac Assassin -127 ltr   
Paddles- Carbonerro PRO SERIES 85 & Riviera Camo at 70"

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2016, 06:19:00 AM »
I went down to costa rica for my winter retreat, and I wanted to pick-up surfing.
I ended up in Pavones after a long search for good breaks for beginners.

Apparently, January-February is the worst time of the year for surfing in costa rica
but don’t tell it to the breaks here. For the past 3 weeks (from the end of January)
we are getting at least  once a week, OH waves and the rest is waist to head high.
and these are very clean long left breaks, lots of sections to make.

I came down here with Zero surfing knowledge and after 6 sessions I’m already getting 30 seconds
 and longer rides, making section down the line, all the way to the beach, over and over.

Hat’s off the Shawn of agua vida surf, he is super cool dude (so is his wife Natalie) and a great instructor.
he had me trying 6 different boards, from 7’4 fish to 12’6, in different conditions, showed
me how to position my self, what to look for in the horizon and how to go down the line. looking at him surfing, you
know the guy lives for the ocean.

And the best part, he brought me to some less known breaks, where there are almost zero
people and no line-up to speak of, I had 2 session where I was surfing 4 hours straight all alone!!!

also, If you looking for a place to stay there, check out ‘cafe de la suerte’
it’s a sweet colorful family run place with 3 rooms attached to their restaurant. Nothing fancy but reasonably priced
and clean place and their Veggie food is delicious. It’s also spit distance from the beach.

If you’re going down to CR between January and March, and you have surfing in mind, skip the hyped-up
places up north and go straight to Pavones.

I talked to several guys on the surf camps up north and they were very careful to say that it is a gamble
to come at this time of the year as the winds are blowing off-shore constantly throughout those months
(January and February specifically) making for poor surfing conditions.

Word of note about Pavones. If you are a proner this is probably where you want to be,
however, they are very squeamish about stand-up surfers in general and novice ones in particular.
They do not rent out surf sups down there so if that’s what you’re after (like I am) contact Shawn and Natalie
and they will set you up.

I’m now off to find a good downwind spot, the wind here rarely go beyond 15mph, any ideas?

Below couple images I took on low tide, waves get bigger towards mid tide, I was paddling across the golf soon after that and
the swells that were coming in were relentless, hours of surf action.
in progress...

surfercook

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Jersey Shore
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2016, 07:15:22 AM »
That is solo cool you went to Pavones! Sounds amazing, burchas. I've taken multiple trips to Costa but never ventured further south than Nosara. You totally sold me on Pavs! I'm thinking April when the solid south swells start up.
One could go into a mall in Kansas and ask a teenager "What is a surfer looking for?, and the answer will always be, "The perfect wave"
9'11" PSH Hull Ripper-145 ltr    
9'3" PSH  Hull Ripper- 130ltr 
8'0" Corevac Assassin -127 ltr   
Paddles- Carbonerro PRO SERIES 85 & Riviera Camo at 70"

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2016, 07:28:46 AM »
That is solo cool you went to Pavones! Sounds amazing, burchas. I've taken multiple trips to Costa but never ventured further south than Nosara. You totally sold me on Pavs! I'm thinking April when the solid south swells start up.

I'm seeing 2 minutes rides in your near future... 8)
in progress...

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal