Author Topic: Looking for a good paddle for a 5' 100lb paddler  (Read 2487 times)

Foilman

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
Looking for a good paddle for a 5' 100lb paddler
« on: February 12, 2016, 03:28:55 PM »
Hey guys,

Was wondering what kind of paddle I should get for the girlfriend. She's 5' 100lb. I gave her my old 90sqin qb kanaha but it seems a little on the big side for her. She's having problems in stronger winds. The board she's on is a 12'6" 2013 Bark Competitor which has a bit too much volume for her. The tail is sticking out the water. That's another story though  :D. Thank you.

Rob
Starboard Allstar 14' x 25.5"
Starboard Coast Runner 14' x 28"
Bark Competitor 12' 6" x 28"
Fanatic AllWave 8'11"
Blue Planet Surf 10' x 32" inflatable

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for a good paddle for a 5' 100lb paddler
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2016, 03:55:20 PM »
Quickblade do some great paddles aimed at women and the lighter paddler.

Bark now does various boards aimed at lighter riders too. You might be able to find one of the Candice Appleby models in a closeout sale. They are tippier than the Competitor but more agile, lighter, and the looks are very popular with women.

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2016, 06:25:43 PM »
Probably a 70-80 sq.in. carbon paddle from any of the paddle makers should be perfectly ok   We have a small 67 sq.in. SB Enduro carbon blade and this has a decent catch and goes just fine for my wife.  Initially it feels small and easy - but over time and distance - the pull is plenty and allows a quick sustained cadence at a reasonably high power output.

You can go to a bigger 78 sq.in. SB High Aspect carbon blade with less catch but bigger power phase - but she may find this provides too much power.  What is best really depends on her technique cadence and power output - but smaller would generally be better.  The basic round carbon shaft has the perfect flex for us - and both blade tips are very sharp and have a bit of flex.  Both blades allow a nice clean flick exit. 

If possible try to find a demo day.  Over the years we have seen so many people get carbon shafts way too stiff - and blades way too powerful for their ability and power level.  We have 3 SB paddles and they are all efficient light well balanced paddles.  Fortunately we got them all for fantastically low demo and clear-out prices - so you can get great deals as well.

The new SB Bolt starts at 74 sq.in. - and would expect that to be plenty of blade for her as well -

http://youtu.be/L-BOaJ-UOcs
Fast is FUN!   8)
Dominator - Touring Pintail - Bullet V2 - M14 - AS23

mrbig

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2016, 10:35:25 AM »
Werner SMALL FIT. Kialoa WAHINE! Smaller diameter shafts, smaller grips, more flex.

Et cetera et cetera!

;D  ;D
Let it come to you..
SMIK 9'2" Hipster Mini Mal
SMIK 8'8" Short Mac Freo Rainbow Bridge
SMIK 8'4" Hipster Twin
King's 8'2" Accelerator SharkBoy

JimK

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Big Guys can have fun too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2016, 01:02:03 PM »
OK I'll say it....

KeNalu 74 Konihi xTuff Shaft

Contact us for Zoner Deal on this

Just thought you should know

JimK
Extreme Windsurfing

Foilman

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2016, 02:28:28 PM »
OK I'll say it....

KeNalu 74 Konihi xTuff Shaft

Contact us for Zoner Deal on this

Just thought you should know

JimK
Extreme Windsurfing
I have the Konihi 84 and the 95. Love those paddles. Didn't see a 74 on their webpage. You'll be hearing from me in the spring 😀.

Rob
Starboard Allstar 14' x 25.5"
Starboard Coast Runner 14' x 28"
Bark Competitor 12' 6" x 28"
Fanatic AllWave 8'11"
Blue Planet Surf 10' x 32" inflatable

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal