Author Topic: eBike for Zooport. It's Pono Bill's and Beasho's Fault  (Read 7114 times)

starman

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Re: eBike for Zooport. It's Pono Bill's and Beasho's Fault
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2016, 08:25:26 PM »
Anyone with that much lycra and spandex is suspect

You mean like this dude?

deepmud

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2016, 12:12:10 AM »
Those have to be some low IQ bike riders not to figure out you're on a powered trike after the first hundred yards.

And your point is?? 

Anyone with that much lycra and spandex is suspect. I do think they wonder if there is some kind of magic in a recumbent trike. Most people that scoff at stuff like that do so because of their insecurity--they think it might be better and they just don't know it yet. I'm not about to tell them that the magic is two Lance Armstrongs with drugs helping me pedal. Now if I can figure out how to do that with a downwind board.

:D

OUTSIDEWAVE

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2016, 09:32:11 AM »
I am looking at the same thing trying to betake parking issues. For me though I am going with a mid drive 750 watt and 48 volt and converting my  old GT Lts mtn bike.   

The big question  is how are you going to carry your  boards?   I am thinking trailer  that clamps to the seat post  then I can build a little wet suit rack  that drains  and maybe a lock box on to it. 
SEA BIRDS THEY DO TOUCH AND GO AS THE WORLD JUST TANGOES BY.... SO I SADDLE UP MY SEAHORSE WITH MY FLYROD IN MY HAND.... 10'3 King custom  10'6"  c4 da beachboy

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2016, 10:59:07 AM »
I posted a pic of the setup I use; it's on the first page of this thread.  It's really just wheels that strap to one end of the board and then a quick-clip to attach the board to the bike.
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2016, 12:40:25 PM »
I am looking at the same thing trying to betake parking issues. For me though I am going with a mid drive 750 watt and 48 volt and converting my  old GT Lts mtn bike.   

The big question  is how are you going to carry your  boards?   I am thinking trailer  that clamps to the seat post  then I can build a little wet suit rack  that drains  and maybe a lock box on to it.

Excellent choice. I'm corresponding with the co-founder of a battery management system manufacturer in China. Nice guy. They make 30,000 different battery management systems. Thirty freaking thousand. Electric bikes are a huge deal in China, which is why Bafeng motors are as sophisticated as the euro ones at a fraction of the price. I'm going to build a 48 V pluggable BMS system that uses LiPo batteries intended for Radio Control models. Some of the most sophisticated chemistries available, lightest weight and lowest cost. Can't pass up that even if it can burn the garage down if you aren't careful.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2016, 03:31:40 PM »

Excellent choice. I'm corresponding with the co-founder of a battery management system manufacturer in China. Nice guy. They make 30,000 different battery management systems. Thirty freaking thousand. Electric bikes are a huge deal in China, which is why Bafeng motors are as sophisticated as the euro ones at a fraction of the price. I'm going to build a 48 V pluggable BMS system that uses LiPo batteries intended for Radio Control models. Some of the most sophisticated chemistries available, lightest weight and lowest cost. Can't pass up that even if it can burn the garage down if you aren't careful.

I would love to see how you wire those RC batteries.  Is it possible for you to share that info with me.  I have flown RC planes for over 25 years and have tons of LiPo batteries.  Can you give me a tutorial?
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2016, 04:16:46 PM »
Pretty straightforward, the only tricky part is that the usual charging method for a series RC cell with balance wires is different from a BMS. A series battery--say a typical 4S1P 14.8V battery charges mostly through the output wires, and when the charger detects that the individual cells are getting out of balance, it slows the charge rate and boosts the low cells until they are close to balance.  A BMS generally puts higher currents through the balance wires, delivering a bigger percentage of change in balance. they will generally toast balance wires. The BMS also manages a maximum charge current and a maximum discharge current and lcuts off power from the battery when a maximum amount of power is used, either by metering it or by reading cell voltage.

You can use RC batteries without a BMS by charging them with a multi-battery charger and just connecting them in series. Three 14.8, 5amp batteries delivers 44V, which is fine. You can go to four batteries in series for a theoretical 59.2 V, but fully charged they will be more like 65V which gives an overvoltage trip on most 48V controllers. Most controllers will cut off at a low voltage which might be high enough to not ruin your lipos, but you have to be careful and measure.

For my setup I will be taking the batteries apart and soldering on new, heavier balance wires. I might experiment with avoiding that step, but it's iffy. Then I'll connect a BMS for each 12s1P battery, and then connect the BMS in parallel with steering diodes to avoid a low battery from discharging a high one. I'll also have a third battery in reserve with a switch to isolate it as well as a steering diode. Essentially there will be two 12s1p 44V 5ah batteries delivering 10ah at 44v and one 5ah in reserve. All of which can be charged from a single charger.

A lot of farting around to avoid buying a commercial battery, but the end result is a battery with higher performce that weighs one third as much at half the price. And I can pull them out of my bike to run my drones.

I'll provide the recipe once I get mine done,
« Last Edit: February 13, 2016, 04:21:05 PM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal