Author Topic: eBike for Zooport. It's Pono Bill's and Beasho's Fault  (Read 7115 times)

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
eBike for Zooport. It's Pono Bill's and Beasho's Fault
« on: February 12, 2016, 09:27:50 AM »
After reading Beasho's and PB's experiences, I got interested in eBikes.  Never thought of them before that.   Just bought this one that's a regular bike conversion, but I got a cheap price.  Bike and battery only had about 150 miles on them.  1000W motor, 48V 20AH battery.  Goes over 30 mph and has about a 50 mile range if I keep it 20MPH or under.  I don't want to drive my car anymore.  So much fun and gets me to all my local breaks cheaply and quickly.  Thanks Pono Bill and Beasho
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: eBike for Zooport. It's Pono Bill's and Beasho's Fault
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2016, 09:33:55 AM »
OOPS.  I should have put this in the "random" forum.  Sorry all. 
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2016, 10:17:53 AM »
With a rear hub motor and the battery hanging high off the back you've probably noticed a bit of clumsiness in handling the bike. Lots of weight in the back. You might make a little project for yourself moving the battery inside the frame, as low as you can get it. that will also free up your luggage rack.

Otherwise, welcome to a surprisingly useful transportation alternative. People don't really understand the benefits until they own one. There's just no way to get across that most of the trips you take that burn up most of the gasoline people use will be taken up by a bike like this. Everyone says "I have a bike, if it was going to replace my car I'd already be doing that". The difference is not apparent until you have one.  Even with gasoline being startlingly cheap, a reasonable e-bike conversion pays for itself very quickly for many people.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Subber

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2016, 10:23:16 AM »
Congrats Zoo!

Are you towing your board or going to get a rack on the bike?
Jimmy Lewis Black & Blue Noserider 10'1"x31"x4.25," 164 liters, 24 lbs, 1 box
Pearson Laird Surftech Longboard 10'6"x23"x29.75"x18"x4.375," 154 liters, 24 lbs, 3 boxes
Takayama Ali'i II Surftech 11'x21.375”x28.5”x17.25”x 4.25,” 162 liters, 26 lbs, 3 boxes

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2016, 10:31:20 AM »
Towing, same setup as I used on my regular bike.  I'll post a pic soon. No parking issues, no meters to feed $, and because of all our bike paths, I can get to most locations as quickly as using a car. 

I'm getting a few weird looks and comments from the lycra clad, road bike crew.  Oh well, I'm used to it from surfers at our breaks. 
« Last Edit: February 12, 2016, 10:33:28 AM by Zooport »
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2016, 10:38:07 AM »
One of my favorite vicious things to do is to slowly overtake a group of lycra dudes with my recumbent trike. You can't see the motor or battery. I'm generally wearing levis and a t-shirt, pedaling with sneakers. I pull out to pass them and pull slowly up, showing some strain pedalling. They pick it up and pull away. I do that several times until they are maxed out, then I slowly pass and pull away. I'm going to kill someone that way some day. Takes them right to the edge.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2016, 10:41:59 AM »
One of my favorite vicious things to do is to slowly overtake a group of lycra dudes with my recumbent trike. You can't see the motor or battery. I'm generally wearing levis and a t-shirt, pedaling with sneakers. I pull out to pass them and pull slowly up, showing some strain pedalling. They pick it up and pull away. I do that several times until they are maxed out, then I slowly pass and pull away. I'm going to kill someone that way some day. Takes them right to the edge.

Wow, that's evil.  I would love to pull that one on them.  I'll want to pick your brain about rewiring and remounting the battery.  The bike is pretty top-heavy.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2016, 10:48:11 AM by Zooport »
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2016, 11:50:40 AM »
shit, pb, you got me laughing
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

RATbeachrider

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2016, 05:12:53 PM »
After SUP'ing for 2+ hours last Wednesday and paddled back home (5 miles) on the single gear heavy beach cruiser, I wanted an e-bike.  ;)

freetobeme

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2016, 05:15:58 PM »
SUPer cool!
"Everything you want is on the other side of fear" - George Addair

CoreVac Cannibal BOMB 8'8

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2016, 06:00:23 PM »
Here's my SUP towing setup.  Works great.  I just have to make myself keep the speed down or bad things might happen to my board.  Tried it at about 15 MPH and that's the fastest I dare go, even though the bike will do double that.   Got myself a Kryptonite bike lock, unbreakable and uncutable. 
« Last Edit: February 12, 2016, 06:05:59 PM by Zooport »
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

starman

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2016, 06:01:43 PM »

Those have to be some low IQ bike riders not to figure out you're on a powered trike after the first hundred yards.

The Kernel

• Sunset Status
  • Dana Point, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2016, 06:45:37 PM »

The wife and I just busted out laughing in the kitchen after reading that....
Kernel:  Cutting through the bull**it.
"This is the kernel of the argument."

Over 50, but usually pushing it like I'm 25 and paying for it later.

8'0 L41 Simsup
9'2" T. Patterson Rising Sun
9'2" Riviera Nugg Turbo Carbon
10' Riviera Machete

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2016, 06:45:48 PM »
Those have to be some low IQ bike riders not to figure out you're on a powered trike after the first hundred yards.

And your point is?? 

Anyone with that much lycra and spandex is suspect. I do think they wonder if there is some kind of magic in a recumbent trike. Most people that scoff at stuff like that do so because of their insecurity--they think it might be better and they just don't know it yet. I'm not about to tell them that the magic is two Lance Armstrongs with drugs helping me pedal. Now if I can figure out how to do that with a downwind board.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2016, 06:49:22 PM by PonoBill »

The Kernel

• Sunset Status
  • Dana Point, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2016, 07:20:54 PM »

And your point is?? 

Anyone with that much lycra and spandex is suspect. I do think they wonder if there is some kind of magic in a recumbent trike. Most people that scoff at stuff like that do so because of their insecurity--they think it might be better and they just don't know it yet. I'm not about to tell them that the magic is two Lance Armstrongs with drugs helping me pedal. Now if I can figure out how to do that with a downwind board.

Bill:  How about a picture of your recumbent trike?
Kernel:  Cutting through the bull**it.
"This is the kernel of the argument."

Over 50, but usually pushing it like I'm 25 and paying for it later.

8'0 L41 Simsup
9'2" T. Patterson Rising Sun
9'2" Riviera Nugg Turbo Carbon
10' Riviera Machete

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal