Author Topic: Sunova SOUL thread  (Read 16014 times)

supthecreek

Sunova SOUL thread
« on: February 11, 2016, 09:38:16 PM »
This thread is for the SOUL in all sizes to make finding the info easier than searching archives.
This will be sort of an on going review.
Please feel free to ask questions, discuss, review, post pics and videos about any size SOUL here.

Basic info about Sunova and the construction, as well as info about me, since I will be giving my feedback on Sunova boards, can be found here:
http://www.standupzone.com/forum/index.php/topic,29178.0.html

The SOUL is a traditional shape, with very pleasing and understandable lines.
Very foiled rails, a pulled in nose and medium round tail, thruster set-up.
Thin nose and tail, with a domed deck.

I will start with the 9'5....
9'5 x 31 3/4"  at 150 L
With fins and deckpad, mine weighs in at 20.6 lbs (9.3 kg)
I have ridden it in a good variety of waves and wind conditions, and I am impressed!
The SOUL is a very easy board to surf and paddle.
I find myself grabbing it more often these days.... every session I like it more.

On an OH wave, I can lay it down into a hard turn, with confidence
It is very fast and easy to pump down the line.
It draws long lines and is very predictable.

In smaller, weak waves, it moves around nicely, and carries speed well.

In my opinion, the SOUL needs to be ridden slightly longer than the Speeed or the Flow, because of the narrower outline will be tipper than those shapes.

The light weight and narrow nose, makes it easy to throw around on a wave.
The outline makes it particularly easy to paddle into waves.
Although it's the same length as the 9'5 Speeed, it looks and feels like a much smaller board.

I think that the SOUL, is the Sunova of choice, for riders that like a traditional shape, predictable performance and ease of use.... in a board that is at home in small or OH waves.

This is just a preliminary introduction, I will add video and photo's as I get them

Here are a few shots to tease you. Winter storms make it hard to get all the shots I need to really show the board well.

The surf shots are off a video I took yesterday of a solo session on the 9'5 SOUL. They are very poor quality screen grabs, but I think they show how well the SOUL handles a turn. Video as soon as I have some useful footage.

Again.... please comment, inquire or add your own SOUL thoughts, photos and video.

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
Re: Sunova SOUL thread
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2016, 04:16:55 AM »
Thanks Rick,

With so little info on the internet about the Sunova boards, reviews like this are priceless.

"In my opinion, the SOUL needs to be ridden slightly longer than the Speeed or the Flow, because of the narrower outline will be tipper than those shapes."

"The light weight and narrow nose, makes it easy to throw around on a wave."

I'm surprised that you say the Soul is less stable than the Speeed or the Flow. I had the impression this was a board aimed at intermediate level riders and would therefore be the most stable.

I still have a lot to learn when it comes to board shapes. The Soul looks very wide to me with a much wider nose and tail than the Flow which makes it look very stable. The whole outline looks wide compared to the Flow. Where is the narrowness?

The width and volume of the Soul and the Flow are almost identical for each equivalent length. It's just hard to believe that the Soul would be more tippy than the Flow or the Speeed.

On another note, my new Flow 8'4 should arrive this week. It will be replacing my JL World Wide 8'5. The main criteria for buying it is that it be a little more stable for my 165 to 175lbs and have a little better performance. Months of research and calculations have lead me to this board but with so little to go on, it hasn't been easy. I hope I made the correct choice.

You'll have to come up here again once I get my board. We'll get Garrick and Luke and have a Sunova fest.

« Last Edit: February 12, 2016, 05:02:01 AM by Badger »
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300
Sunova Flow  8'10 X 31"  119L
Me - 6'0" - 165lbs - 66yo

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2016, 06:12:07 AM »
creek, i am with badger on this. the 8'11" speed is skinnier and less voluminous (by almost 10%) than the 8'10" soul--i thought the soul would be more stable than comparable length speed??  pls explain.
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

supthecreek

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2016, 11:23:18 AM »
Ha ha.... it's not that easy to see.... or explain..... I just call them as I see them.
My feedback is from boards in my possession, or boards I have seen & paddled.

eastie:
Soul compared to the Speeed..... it's the nose is wide, without that, the 8'10 Speeed would be very difficult for me. It's not all about overall width. The Speeed is a completely different animal.
The 9'5 Speeed is stupid stable.... much more so than the 9'5 Soul
I could easily drop down to the 9'2 Speeed in winter
The 9'5 Soul is very comfortable for me in winter as well..... but I don't think I would want to be on a smaller one till summer.

The 9'2 Flow is more stable than the 9'5 Soul... it is easy in winter gear

All this leads me to my position that the Soul needs to be ridden longer and the Flow needs to be ridden shorter
The Speeed falls lightly in the middle..... but it is a hard board to compare because of the much wider nose.

Consider this:

Flow 9'6 is 33"       wide at 159 L     
Soul 9'5 is 31 3/4" wide at 150 L    big difference

Jump down to these lengths:

Flow 8'4 is 29 3/8" wide at 110 L
Soul 8'3 is 29"       wide at 110 L    hardly any difference

As they get shorter, the width and volume begin to equalize
But I am guessing that the Flow would still hold a slight edge in stability... but that will be for a smaller, more agile person to decide.

I think the Flow will begin to really stand out as a top performer at the shorter lengths, as the width reduces.

Since this is the Soul thread.... I will repeat.....

I think the Soul is the easiest board to surf in the Sunova "performance " line-up.

It is a very well designed board, that will suit a lot of people, if they get one that is big enough for them.
My 9'5 Soul feels so much smaller than the 9'5 Speeed, about the same as the 9'2 Flow, but easier to paddle and surf.
Turns are crisp and driving, rail to rail is easy and quick, speed is easy to find.... the Soul has a bigger sweet spot.

Again..... my own feelings at this moment.
I held off for 2 months, trying to dial in all these boards. I learn new stuff every day, but I don't think my opinion will change. :)

I trudged around in 15 degree weather today, to take pictures that might show the difference between the Soul and the Flow.... but it is elusive.

The wider Flow has a bit narrower nose, but has a slightly wider tail, and slightly fuller hips IMO
The Flow "stability advantage" comes from the area behind the handle.... I will try to pinpoint this with a few pictures

The Width is the biggest factor in to consider..... look at the numbers from longer to shorter to see what I am getting at.

Badger.... I'll come up soon and we'll have a great session..... I want to see if I can stand on your 8'4  :)

I hope this helps answer your questions!

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2016, 11:44:22 AM »
thx creek--well-explained--when i get back from mauka, i may have  something to add

it'll be great to have a chance to try many sunova's--i am narrowed to the speed, the soul and the flow, and hope to try all there for a session or two--tiago has acids, too, but i think that, with my size and skills (lack thereof), it aint a board for me

Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

SlatchJim

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2016, 11:52:11 AM »
I gotta say Creek, you sure don't ding up your boards much laying them down in a foot of snow.  ;)

SUStenance

• Waikiki Status
  • Unexpected Sweet Swell
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2016, 12:15:14 PM »
Great Review (and also the thread about Sunova Construction (http://www.standupzone.com/forum/index.php/topic,29178.msg310785.html#msg310785). Looking forward to trying all you boards  ;D (I did try the SPEEED in some marginal waves in May and was impressed, so it will be good to try one or two of them). I'm sure you'll have a good starting recommendation since you've seen my skill and style. 8)
9' Angulo Surfa
10' WatersEdge EZRider

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2016, 12:35:40 PM »
Does the Soul have a flat deck or a domed deck?

The Flow is supposed to have a flat deck which might make a difference.

"Badger.... I'll come up soon and we'll have a great session..... I want to see if I can stand on your 8'4"

That will be fun to watch. I want to see that too.  :)

« Last Edit: February 12, 2016, 12:43:29 PM by Badger »
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300
Sunova Flow  8'10 X 31"  119L
Me - 6'0" - 165lbs - 66yo

Tom

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2016, 01:05:47 PM »
It is interesting that the 9'5" soul is 9 liters less volume than the 9' 6", the 8'11" is 6 more liters than the 8'10", and the 8'3" is the same volume 8' 4".

supthecreek

« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2016, 03:40:24 PM »
Badger, the Soul deck is more slightly more domed than the Flow.

Tom... there is an intersection there and the numbers can catch you off guard.

surfafrica

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • YouTube
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2016, 03:46:43 PM »
Hey Creek, I'd like to request that you go test the 7'7 & 7'10 Flow as well as the 7'10 Soul, normalize the results for a 145 pounder and suggest what might work for best for what conditions.  Much appreciated as always. ;-)
50 years old, 5'7", 150 lbs, intermediate
Infinity RNB: 7'6 x 28, 95 L https://goo.gl/SqlWR4
Kronos LB: 8'10 x 26.5, 84 L https://goo.gl/4iQdps
Kronos Nano: 7'4 x 26, 81 L https://goo.gl/kAM8W6

supthecreek

« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2016, 06:33:12 PM »
Ha ha..... I'll have to leave 1/2 my body at home :)

Just divide everything by the speeed of the CERN particle accelerator... that should be fairly close.

kliss99

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2016, 05:57:56 AM »
Hi all,  I don't participate a lot but thought I should add a preliminary review of my Soul 8'11 x 31" x 4 1/2" 137L experience.  I've only ridden the board a couple times and will add more in time.

I live in Long Branch, Nj about a mile from the beach.  More about me: I'm 52, 5'9ish, 197lbs, 200ish with full winter gear.  Prone surfing since 1980.  Grew up in NJ, lived in Encinitas, CA from 81-87.  Been SUP surfing for about 4yrs.  I should add I'm a goofy foot and due to my location only get to surf front side 25% of the time.

Just sold my 9 6 Prowave to fund the Soul, still own the 2013 9'2" Allwave which I absolutely love (I now call the Allwave "Frankenboard", out on a big day my leash snapped and the Allwave ended up on a jetty, repaired it myself, it's water tight but boy is it ugly!).  I had great sessions on the Prowave especially on bigger days, unlike others I want one board to ride in all conditions and at times I felt something lacking in the Prowave.  I wanted to try something with less boxy rails.  It may sound odd but I found the Allwave much more maneuverable then the Prowave.  I was very comfortable going backside on both boards.  I will admit sometimes I wonder if I should have went with the newer Allwave, the shape has changed slightly and possibly would have satisfied my needs but I got caught up in the Sunova hype so here I am.

I was initially leaning toward getting the 9'5 Speeed. I'm one who wants stability and if I'm going to use one board in all conditions I want volume, the reason why I didn't consider the 8'10.  I was fortunate to meet STC in LBI during his east coast Sunova demo tour.  The waves were sizeable with hard offshore winds and our window ended up being cut short when the offshore winds became unbearable.  I first surfed the 9'5 Speeed and it felt way too big (much more stable than the 9 6 Prowave which I found to be tippy until I got used to it).  I had a hard time paddling into a wave  STC mentioned he will walk toward the front of the board at times to catch the waves, this was not appealing to me.  I then switched to the 9' 5" Soul and found it also way too big, very stable.  I caught a few quick rights but by this time the wind started to gust too strong and I was done.  Shows why it's so important to demo boards if possible, I was ready to pull the trigger on the 9 5 Speeed but it was much too big for me.

I would like to demo the 9 2 Speeed mainly because STC loves his 8'10 Speeed so much I wanted to feel what he experiences, oh well.  I  considered the Flow but was reluctant to pull the trigger due to STC saying it didn't paddle as well as the Soul or the Speeed.  I want the ability to paddle to another break if my current one gets crowded or something looks better.  I read a few reviews on the Soul including STC's and liked what I read so I finally decided to go with the 8' 11", the 9 5 Soul also felt too big.

The first day on the new Soul was waist to chest high choppy and mostly poor conditions.  The Soul felt very light and a bit unstable similar to the instability I felt when I first surfed the Prowave.  Even though I was a bit unstable the board moved along well in the chop.  The first wave was a right and just as I caught the wave the board spun out and I fell, real odd feeling not sure what happened.  Next wave was a short left and it felt better.  I managed to catch another right and the board felt stiff on the back hand, couldn't weave it up and down like on my fanatics.  Again, the conditions were poor overall not a great session. 

Second session conditions were much better, clean about belly high.  I felt very comfortable paddling out, very stable.  board felt night and day from the first session on how stable I felt on it, paddled great, easily paddled into waves.  BUT, still feeling a bit stiff on the back hand, I don't get it.  Hoping in time I'll work it out as I said I mostly ride back side.  On a positive note I managed to grab two lefts and the board felt GREAT!  Real responsive S-turns down the line and easy to kickout before the closeout. Going to have to drive a bit south to ride more lefts, can't wait!

Final preliminary analysis, board is stable for me in winter gear.  I'm confident I could ride it in all conditions ( I adapted to the instability of this board much quicker than the Prowave, which is the reason for my confidence).  Board will be a blast going front side, really hoping I dial it on the back hand otherwise it could be an expensive mistake, time will tell...
8'6 JL Superfrank
8'10 NSP Surf Wide
9'2 Fanatic Allwave 2013
14' NSP Cocomat

supthecreek

« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2016, 11:10:55 AM »
kliss.... next time I am in your area, I would like to hop on your 8'11 for a demo, if possible.
I think that is slightly below my "winter gear" float, but I am curious how it feels underfoot.

kliss99

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2016, 01:12:57 PM »
Hey Rick,

You're always welcome! We could swap and I'll like to demo the smaller Speeed. 

Come on down you'll have a bed and a meal on me!
8'6 JL Superfrank
8'10 NSP Surf Wide
9'2 Fanatic Allwave 2013
14' NSP Cocomat

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal