Author Topic: Twisted isup normal??????  (Read 7798 times)

bobbyb734

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Twisted isup normal??????
« on: February 11, 2016, 03:29:17 PM »
  I just bought a 126 x 30 isup from a reputable co and it is twisted . If sitting on a level surface it has a 1 1/2 " difference from one corner to the opposite corner. They sent out another one and it is also twisted about 3/4". Everything in the kit seems pretty nice -paddle, leash, pump etc.  I even got it for about 30% off.
    The company said that its normal/ ok to be twisted and industry standard is up to 1". I have had other ones and they were not twisted at all. I wanted to get some opinions or what other people have experienced with this. Is this going to affect the performance ? Thanks

airSUP

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • air-SUP.com
    • Email
Re: Twisted isup normal??????
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2016, 04:59:00 PM »
Long thinner areas of inflatable SUP have less internal strings , so it's more difficult to manufacture without a little twist, and occasionally a bad twist might get past a lazy QC guy at the factories (some will offer discounts or credits if discovered late).

For sure, this is getting less common with better manufacturing techniques and quality checks, but even still a few slip through.

Was the discount offered because of the twist ?

You probably won't notice much performance difference, the integrity of the SUP will not be affected either.
Brett Bennett
Owner : airSUP inflatable SUPs
Web: http://air-SUP.com

Fog City Rider

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2016, 06:35:55 PM »
I would not say it's normal, but it is pretty common.  I think it's the most common imperfection in inflatable boards, but most recreational paddlers don't look close enough to notice it. 

It typically travels from nose to tail and is pronounced at the tips, with the nose cocked one way & the tail cocked the opposite way. 

In my experience, the longer boards (12'6 +) are more prone to twisting.  Almost every 14' iSup I've seen suffers from it to some degree.  And I'm not talking about cheapy brands, I'm talking about premium brands that are often recommended on this site. 
San Diego, CA
10'0 Naish Nalu Pro (2017 version)
9'0 Pearson Arrow Laird custom
9'3 Pearson Arrow custom (prone)
9'8 Takayama In the Pink (prone)

bobbyb734

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2016, 02:23:08 AM »
 If I look down the length its easy to see the twist.  I just expected a "straighter" product , but I can understand why longer boards are  twisted a little.

If I bought it from ebay for "299.99 special" then all bets are off on quality.

I didn't get the discount for the twist , I was told it was to get rid of old(2015) inventory. It wasn't until they sent the second board when he mentioned the twist being "common".

Im not trying to be picky , I just wanted to make sure I wasn't getting one from a bad batch.

spirit4earth

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2016, 08:48:10 AM »
It's not a Red Paddle Co board, is it?

PDLSFR

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2016, 09:12:09 AM »
I never herd of this Twist issue and had a few calls with Starboard when I purchased an inflatable from them, mine was fine no twist no issues, great board (then again I also paid $1,000 for the board and their carbon 3 piece paddle). I guess you get what you pay for.
Infinity RNB 8'2
Ron House 9'7
Ron House 10'7
Infinity New Deal 10'
Custom Infinity New Deal 10'
VEC 11'
Focus Bluefin 14'

beaner

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2016, 01:51:51 PM »
I got a 11'4" reputable brand isup 3 years ago that has this issue, noticeable at the tail. It did seem to be a common issue at the time, but does not affect performance from what I can tell. I would have thought isups have improved enough that this is not still happening.

supuk

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2016, 02:21:10 PM »
does it state there there is a +/- 1" tolerance on twist? boards are not supposed to be twisted, i have seen a fair few twisted ones though, some with zero rocker and some with stacks and even fin boxes stuck on 1" off centre. If its standard to have a 1" tolerance why would they send a replacement in the first place? If your not personaly happy with it send it back its the only way companies will start to up there quality and quality control.

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2016, 02:38:23 PM »
Have you tried pumping it up to normal pressure and letting it sit in the sun?

bobbyb734

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2016, 03:39:22 PM »
I don't want to mention any brands right now. sorry

Pumped it up to max psi for a week but not sat it in sun. It is in house , haven't used it ,10 degrees here.

First board was 1 1/2" off which was above standard. Second board is 3/4" off. I think any twist isn't ok unless stated in ad and I wasn't told till second board was shipped. Ad didn't state any problems or anything about a twist . They also mentioned problems with the 2016 models in manufacturing and release date will be delayed.

Thanks for the advice

spirit4earth

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2016, 03:54:12 PM »
Has anyone else had this problem with their iSup?

Green Water Sports

• Site Sponsor
  • Peahi Status
  • https://greenwatersports.com
    • View Profile
    • Green Water Sports - Inflatable SUP boards & stand up paddle boards & more
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2016, 11:46:23 AM »
bobbyb734 also asked me outside this forum if I've experienced a twisted iSUP. I have not, but I tend to only deal with the more $$ SUPs so I can't say absolutely.
Julian
https://greenwatersports.com
Green Water Sports LLC - Inflatable SUP boards & stand up paddle boards & more. Call us on 1-888-252-4983
Red Paddle Co, Starboard, SIC Maui, Tahe, Naish, Fanatic, Accent Paddles, Onyx, FCS, Vamo

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2016, 02:35:45 PM »
I can say that I experienced the same issue, with a 12'6 iSup, not as much as 1.5 inch but enough to
have impact on the board tracking ability. That was a $1500 board from a reputable company and the twist developed over the year I've owned the board.

The good thing about these reputable companies is that they do stand behind their products.
They replaced mine no hassle and even upgraded me. the new one has no signs of twisting as of now.
in progress...

pugsup

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2016, 04:35:56 PM »
Of the two 12'6" iSups (both established brands) I have, neither has a perfect shape.
The first one, an 2013 Astro developed quite a rocker line with a pronounced upward bent just in front of the handle, and it's replacement only ended up lifting a bit at the tail.
The 2nd board, a Red Race 2014 board developed a slight twist throughout it's length that is visible when out of the water, but seems to have no effect on board performance that I can tell.
This doesn't bother me or my GF (who's using the Astro) much since we aren't racing, but I sure hope that these types of issues will be resolved in future generations.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal