Author Topic: Newbie nesds advice  (Read 45721 times)

Dkyachtphoto

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Newbie nesds advice
« Reply #135 on: May 19, 2016, 12:43:28 PM »
No wonder you've got sore muscles ;D I'd still be in bed unable to move if I paddled all that and a big board 10 miles !!
Lol, I gotta be completely honest,  other than the 1 spot in my back I wasn't sore at all.... Tired yes but I easily could have done another 3-5 miles if it wasn't for my back. That board is soooo stable and easy to paddle. It tracks really well.  Both loaded like that and completely empty I noticed very little difference. If anything with more weight on it it rides even better if that makes sense??

Dave

HanaSurf

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #136 on: May 19, 2016, 01:23:12 PM »
The extra weight helps trim that board out and get more board length in water for more glide.Hope the smaller paddle and some time to strengthen that spot solves your problem cause that is a super nice board.

Dkyachtphoto

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #137 on: May 19, 2016, 01:29:04 PM »
The extra weight helps trim that board out and get more board length in water for more glide.Hope the smaller paddle and some time to strengthen that spot solves your problem cause that is a super nice board.
Ahhhhh OK thanks for the clarification. Looks like the weather is gonna be nice tomorrow so I might try to get out with my board and the smaller paddle. If I do I'll update how it went.

Dave

ford

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #138 on: May 23, 2016, 11:34:24 AM »
This has been a fun thread to follow and as a relative newbie I've enjoyed learning from it. I hope you were able to get out this weekend.

I'm about to start looking for a touring board. I weigh 250 so I've been looking at the Bote boards... I think if money were no object I'd like to try the Jimmy Lewis Searcher, but it is a bit above my price range.

I want to try and get a closer look at a Sunova Venture, JP Sportster and Riviera Voyager Classic... the Bote HD 12' would be the one I'd try from them. I'm certainly the type that wouldn't mind a deal on a 2015 model..ha!

Sadly there aren't any great SUP shops in Houston. There are some decent ones in Austin or I can drive a few hours into Louisiana as there seem to be a few nice ones off of I-10.

I'll probably get in touch with a couple of dealers on the site also.

Dkyachtphoto

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #139 on: May 23, 2016, 02:30:32 PM »
This has been a fun thread to follow and as a relative newbie I've enjoyed learning from it. I hope you were able to get out this weekend.

I'm about to start looking for a touring board. I weigh 250 so I've been looking at the Bote boards... I think if money were no object I'd like to try the Jimmy Lewis Searcher, but it is a bit above my price range.

I want to try and get a closer look at a Sunova Venture, JP Sportster and Riviera Voyager Classic... the Bote HD 12' would be the one I'd try from them. I'm certainly the type that wouldn't mind a deal on a 2015 model..ha!

Sadly there aren't any great SUP shops in Houston. There are some decent ones in Austin or I can drive a few hours into Louisiana as there seem to be a few nice ones off of I-10.

Ford, I'm glad you have foumd this thread as helpful as I have. I've certainly learned a lot over the last few months. We got out Saturday and today as a matter of fact. Both beautiful days out in the ocean. Crystal clear and flat as a lake. I'm gonna post some pics and video later tonight or tomorrow morning.

With regards to a board choice I can only speak for the Botes. I'm 6'3" 235 and the Ahab fits me really well. Hindsight I might have been better off on the Rackham but after snorkeling today and Saturday on the Ahab I'm sold. It is soooo stable and the size allows for so much gear without feeling crowded. Getting in and out of the water the board barely tipped over at all!!! I wish you lived closer I'd offer a test ride. Also I'm really starting to love all the attachment ports and paddle sheath. I tie the dive flag to the paddle,  put it in the sheath and I'm all set.....

Dave

ford

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #140 on: May 23, 2016, 07:42:47 PM »

Ford, I'm glad you have foumd this thread as helpful as I have. I've certainly learned a lot over the last few months. We got out Saturday and today as a matter of fact. Both beautiful days out in the ocean. Crystal clear and flat as a lake. I'm gonna post some pics and video later tonight or tomorrow morning.

With regards to a board choice I can only speak for the Botes. I'm 6'3" 235 and the Ahab fits me really well. Hindsight I might have been better off on the Rackham but after snorkeling today and Saturday on the Ahab I'm sold. It is soooo stable and the size allows for so much gear without feeling crowded. Getting in and out of the water the board barely tipped over at all!!! I wish you lived closer I'd offer a test ride. Also I'm really starting to love all the attachment ports and paddle sheath. I tie the dive flag to the paddle,  put it in the sheath and I'm all set.....

Dave

I never even thought of using one as a base for snorkeling... that is awesome! Not a lot of great snorkeling places near where I live, but I could see using one on vacation someday for that!

Dkyachtphoto

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #141 on: May 23, 2016, 08:00:22 PM »

Dave

I never even thought of using one as a base for snorkeling... that is awesome! Not a lot of great snorkeling places near where I live, but I could see using one on vacation someday for that!
Yea it was awesome.... And sooo easy. I'm gonna get my scuba gear cleaned up and try that from it as well.

Dkyachtphoto

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #142 on: May 23, 2016, 08:02:47 PM »
Having a lot of trouble posting the dam video........ Sorry, coming soon. Any recommendations for best way to do it are welcome.

Dave

Dkyachtphoto

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #143 on: May 24, 2016, 10:10:27 AM »
OK attempt #3....let me apologize in advance for the video shaking and soso editing skills. I hope you enjoy it regardless. I added some "pg" clips of my wife,  sorry forum rules..... https://youtu.be/o2ek1x1iYaA

Dave

Dkyachtphoto

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #144 on: May 24, 2016, 10:12:32 AM »
Wtf...... Does this play for anyone? I'm using tapatalk and it doesn't play. I know it's on YouTube and working correctly.... Ideas?

Dave

ford

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #145 on: May 24, 2016, 10:34:00 AM »
Wtf...... Does this play for anyone? I'm using tapatalk and it doesn't play. I know it's on YouTube and working correctly.... Ideas?

Dave

I'm viewing the thread from a computer and it is playing fine. I've had troubles with some features on tapatalk with other forums.

Dkyachtphoto

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #146 on: May 24, 2016, 10:52:42 AM »

Dave

I'm viewing the thread from a computer and it is playing fine. I've had troubles with some features on tapatalk with other forums.
OK Ford,  thanks. I'll have to try and figure out what I'm found that is causing issues with the forum....

Dave

HanaSurf

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #147 on: May 24, 2016, 03:58:48 PM »
Plays fine on my laptop. Nice vid,great board and a beautiful wife. You're a lucky man ;)

Dkyachtphoto

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #148 on: May 24, 2016, 04:22:12 PM »
Plays fine on my laptop. Nice vid,great board and a beautiful wife. You're a lucky man ;)
Thank you I think  so to,  very lucky.

Dave

Dkyachtphoto

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #149 on: May 24, 2016, 04:27:49 PM »
BTW a little back story on my wife.  We have been married for 15 years,  all of which till yesterday she was terrified of swimming in open ocean. Beach is fine,  shallow mangroves and flats is fine but open ocean no way. She loves paddle boarding so much, the last few times she saw how beautiful the water and reefs were and finally trusted me to go in. She stayed next to her board but it was a huge step. Hopefully bigger step next time out....

Dave

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal