Author Topic: Shoulder friendly paddle advice  (Read 6794 times)

manta

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Shoulder friendly paddle advice
« on: February 11, 2016, 12:06:27 PM »
I'm in need of some assistance.

I've been getting shoulder pain from paddling. It has been determined my paddle is too large and is putting unnecessary strain on my shoulders.

I currently use a Naish Kahalo 9.0 paddle, the biggest blade size in the range. I have wanted to find a Quickblade trifecta 86 or v drive 81 which are both touted as being shoulder friendly. The problem is I cannot get them where I live and importing is simply too expensive.

What I would like is some suggestions for other paddles that are easy on the shoulders but still provide adequate power. I will then see if I can find any of the makes suggested where I am located.

I have been resting my shoulders and am itching to get back in the water but not at the risk of reinjury.

Thanks for the help.

hbsteve

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Re: Shoulder friendly paddle advice
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2016, 12:27:33 PM »
Where are you located?  Can you provide a list of paddle companies that you can buy from?  This will help those with expertise answer your question better.

Quickbeam

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2016, 12:49:20 PM »
Another thing you might try is shortening the length of your paddle. I was having some shoulder issues and this was suggested to me. It helped quite a bit.
Infinity Blackfish 12’ 6” x 23”
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 24”
Infinity Whiplash 12' 6" x 24 1/2"
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 26”
Bark Competitor 12’ 6” x 29”
Red Paddle Explorer (Inflatable) 13' 2" x 30
Starboard Airline (Inflatable) 12’ 6” x 27

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2016, 01:03:47 PM »
How did you determine that the paddle blade was too large?

Assuming you can't explore other paddles at the moment, here are a few non-replacement possibilities for you based on my own limited experience.  Loose 10lbs, take a couple inches off your paddle shaft (like QB said), consult with an ortho doc or PT about getting some specific shoulder exercises, make sure your paddle posture and position is good.

supsurf-tw

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2016, 03:41:33 PM »
The problem with shortening the paddle is too much then your low back takes a beating. I went all the way down to a 74 sq in Kenalu 2" above my height and my shoulders were loving me for it. Great size for wave catching. A little slower from point A to point B though.
Boards:

8-10 x 31 Egg
8-11 X 32 Double wing Fangtail Tom Whitaker
8-6 X 30 1\2  Inbetweener Tom Whitaker
8-4 x 30 Hyper quad Tom Whitaker (wife's now)
8-4 X 31 1\4.  Round (wide) Diamond Tail Quad Tom Whitaker
 9-4 X 30 1\2. Swallow Stinger Quad Tom Whitaker (ex wifes now)
10-0 Brusurf for teach

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2016, 08:18:08 PM »
We have 4 carbon paddles -> 3 blade sizes and shapes -> 2 shaft flexes -> and 4 different lengths.  Each one feels noticeably different than the other.  We choose based on the particular use that day - AW or DW - with a view to the conditions on the water.

We have been using a 116 Riviera and smaller Starboard blades for years without any major issues.  Unfortunately the only way to know for sure if a particular set-up is easy on **your shoulders** is to demo yourself.  We know of paddlers who have bought based on forum posted anecdotal reviews and have been very unhappy since it did not suit **their shoulders**.  They sold those paddles shortly thereafter to recover some money.

But generally a softer shaft option - and smaller blade size - and a shorter shaft -> will reduce shoulder pain from paddling.  So an 81 QB with a softer and shorter shaft should be easier on your shoulders than your 111 Naish.  Be careful though - if you cut too short you may then suffer lower back strain instead.

So maybe simply try to remove or cut your Naish handle off and shorten your paddle down.  Buying a new handle would maybe work out if the Naish blade and shaft are not causing your shoulder problems.   ;)
« Last Edit: February 11, 2016, 08:29:52 PM by Eagle »
Fast is FUN!   8)
Dominator - Touring Pintail - Bullet V2 - M14 - AS23

blueplanetsurf

• Site Sponsor
  • Teahupoo Status
  • Hawaii's SUP HQ
    • View Profile
    • Blue Planet Surf
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2016, 08:58:27 PM »
Shoulder pain is pretty common for stand up paddlers if you paddle a lot, unfortunately.  I had a shoulder impingement and it really hurt and bothered me for a long time.  I tried a lot of things, including smaller blades and more flexible shafts, which helps by putting less strain on the shoulder but won't make the injury go away.  What made the biggest difference for me was strengthening the rotator cuff muscles with PT exercises. 
We made a couple of videos on this topic, you can watch them in this post on SUP shoulder injuries:
http://blueplanetsurf.com/blogs/news/16968292-sup-shoulder-injury-dealing-with-injuries-and-what-helps
I hope it gets better soon, I know what a drag it can be.
Robert Stehlik
Blue Planet Surf Shop, Honolulu
Hawaii's SUP HQ
http://www.blueplanetsurf.com

surfercook

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Jersey Shore
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2016, 09:11:33 PM »
manta, I feel your pain, literally. I have effed rotators in both shoulders and also get pain sometimes from paddling. I don't do much to alleviate it except take some ibu and ice it occasionally. But I do only use an size 8 blade w/total paddle length about an inch taller than me. At first when I started sup surfing my paddle was 80"! I was clueless! Noticed a BIG dif when I cut it down to 71". Also the lighter the paddle the easier on my shoulders. Pain is the enemy! Hope you loose it!
One could go into a mall in Kansas and ask a teenager "What is a surfer looking for?, and the answer will always be, "The perfect wave"
9'11" PSH Hull Ripper-145 ltr    
9'3" PSH  Hull Ripper- 130ltr 
8'0" Corevac Assassin -127 ltr   
Paddles- Carbonerro PRO SERIES 85 & Riviera Camo at 70"

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2016, 09:43:06 PM »
I doubt anyone has worse shoulder than mine, unless they are laying on the ground next to them. I know that sounds over-reaching, but I can back that up with two pages of medical crap and injuries from motorcycle racing to rollerblade hockey, ultralight crashes and little faux pas with parachutes, to windsurfing, to SUP incidents. I've got the scars to prove it all. My shoulders look like they were taken off and repaired in the shop, which is pretty close to the truth.

that said, the first thing to consider is technique. The second is length and posture, the third is shaft stiffness, and the last is paddle size. People who complain the most about shoulder pain are often pulling their blade too far and lifting it out of the water like a shovel behind them with a bucketful of water on the face. Do that very much and it's gonna hurt. I don't care what else is going on. If you're doing that, watch the Dave Kalama videos and go and sin no more.

Second, if you sink the blade fully, get a really good catch, and start to pull with your upper hand above your shoulder, it's going to hurt. At full reach, with the blade sunk to the ferrule, your upper arm should extend straight from the shoulder.

Next is the shaft. A little flex mitigates the impact of the catch, too much and your blade is doing what it wants and your stroke timing goes all to hell. When my shoulders start to hurt all my paddles get switched to xTuf(s). When they feel good I go back to 100 flex. xTuf(s) is like therapy for me. As good as Advil.

Last is blade size. If everything else is going well you can get away with a lot here. Blade size determines cadence more than it determines anything else. If you're trying to force a quicker cadence on a big blade then you might have a problem. Cadence is kind of natural. If you're the kind of guy that's a gear down on all your buddies when riding bicycles, then you might be high cadence. But it really doesn't affect effort unless youre trying to push a blade that doesn't want to slip through the water, or your a low cadence guy with a little balde and you're flailing.

If you have no other option you can trim your blade a little. Cutting off the edges and sealing them with a little epoxy works well and turns low aspect torquers into high aspect spinners. vertical cuts along each edge, Say goodbye to any warranty, but it might turn a paddle that kills your shoulders into one that doesn't. Do everything else first though.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2016, 09:49:23 PM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

manta

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2016, 11:52:31 PM »
Thanks for the advice.
I'm light 180 pounds. I've lifted weights most of my adult life so I'm pretty strong for my weight.
This was originally why the bigger paddle appealed to me because of the power I could generate.
I'm going to shorten my paddle I'm 5.11 and the paddle is set to 79, a chaka above my head. This is my everything paddle so I open water and surf with it. I know it is too long for surfing.
I've been working on technique a lot to minimise pain as well as be more efficient. I've made my stroke a lot shorter to ensure I don't pull past my feet.
I also do shoulder rehab type exercises 3 times per week especially exercises that stabilise the rotator cuff. I know I have some natural shoulder instability which is why I focus on those exercises.
I'm going to focus on the advice and also try some other paddles and see what helps.
Trial and error seems to be the order of the day.
Thanks for the feedback.

OUTSIDEWAVE

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2016, 09:50:05 AM »
try using the fiberglass X tuff flex shaft from Ke nalu    with the medium or smaller  blade. Then set your puddle blade up and handle down now reach out with either hand  grasp the point where the blue transitions to the handle keeping  your arm level ( not inclined up or down)  thats how I set my paddle up and it works  really well for  me  I stay away from  numbers  72" 79 " etc.   I think they are not really relevant to your body size shape   etc.  because everyone is different.

when I first started i got shoulder pain then there was a thread about shoulder pain  and  I decided to shorten my paddle   since then never a  bit of pain.  no matter what blade size I use
SEA BIRDS THEY DO TOUCH AND GO AS THE WORLD JUST TANGOES BY.... SO I SADDLE UP MY SEAHORSE WITH MY FLYROD IN MY HAND.... 10'3 King custom  10'6"  c4 da beachboy

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2016, 04:43:29 PM »
Thanks for the advice.
I'm light 180 pounds. I've lifted weights most of my adult life so I'm pretty strong for my weight.
This was originally why the bigger paddle appealed to me because of the power I could generate.
I'm going to shorten my paddle .....

Thanks for the feedback.

Yeah, would suspect this alone should do the trick then.  You should feel a big change straight away.   :)
Fast is FUN!   8)

supsurf-tw

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2016, 06:04:59 PM »
Thanks for the advice.

Thanks for the feedback.

Yeah, would suspect this alone should do the trick then.  You should feel a big change straight away.   :)
Just remember shorter means more low back involvement. Balancing things out is the trick
Boards:

8-10 x 31 Egg
8-11 X 32 Double wing Fangtail Tom Whitaker
8-6 X 30 1\2  Inbetweener Tom Whitaker
8-4 x 30 Hyper quad Tom Whitaker (wife's now)
8-4 X 31 1\4.  Round (wide) Diamond Tail Quad Tom Whitaker
 9-4 X 30 1\2. Swallow Stinger Quad Tom Whitaker (ex wifes now)
10-0 Brusurf for teach

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2016, 07:47:24 PM »
Thanks for the advice.

Thanks for the feedback.

Just remember shorter means more low back involvement. Balancing things out is the trick

Yup, 100% spot on.  Before making the length permanent just use electrical tape to hold the handle in place temporarily - so cut as little as possible - if you have to cut.
Fast is FUN!   8)

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2016, 08:16:09 PM »
You need to give your body time to adjust to a shorter paddle. As has been mentioned, the extra strain on your back and elsewhere (because eg. you may find yourself bending your knees more) can be significant. So it is best to reduce your paddle just 1" at a time. If you hot glue your paddles then with most paddle designs this is quite easy to do.

But a smaller blade and a flexi we shaft make a huge difference too. So can using a smaller handle and a narrower shaft, depending on the size of your hands. Even the weight of the paddle. Every design aspect tends to have a knock-on effect throughout your physiological system, and interacts with your own particular technique. If you have shoulder issues, avoid paddles that pull very hard at the catch. These tend to be paddles that have a blade shape where the bottom edge of the blade is a lot wider than the mid-point. Paddles with a small blade offset angle can also be tough at the catch. Around 10-12 degrees feels more forgiving.

* Recent Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal