Author Topic: Jimmy Lewis Sidewinder - will it, won't it DW  (Read 31405 times)

coldsup

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Re: Jimmy Lewis Sidewinder - will it, won't it DW
« Reply #45 on: June 26, 2016, 11:58:19 PM »
I think there is a lot of Starby/Allstar bashing regardless because you see the dammed things all the time on social media or in every mag. You get sick of it. Plus the price of the carbon is ridiculous....as with some other brands. the more a brand is in your face and the more it's Ambassadors push it in your face the more you turn off.....well I do.

ukgm

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #46 on: June 27, 2016, 12:19:35 AM »
I think there is a lot of Starby/Allstar bashing regardless because you see the dammed things all the time on social media or in every mag. You get sick of it. Plus the price of the carbon is ridiculous....as with some other brands. the more a brand is in your face and the more it's Ambassadors push it in your face the more you turn off.....well I do.

I agree - there is an anti SB thing going on. However, I bizarrely have heard offline criticism from people that do not have a conflict of interest and its also interesting that many of the current UK team are actually opting to use different/older/discontinued boards still rather than that board.

ukgm

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #47 on: June 27, 2016, 12:24:52 AM »
I'm probably going to do a separate review of the Equinox so I won't bother saying too much here, but it feels a lot like an Ace but with easier handling.

It should do. That was the basis behind its design. I felt it had a very 'log rolling' feel. However, I should add that I'd just stepped off from a N1sco race so everything was going to feel a bit twitchy compared to that. I then tried a Javelin immediately after that and instantly felt better but then that board was just over an inch wider.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2016, 12:33:44 AM by ukgm »

ukgm

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #48 on: June 27, 2016, 12:29:23 AM »
ukgm - Other than Coldsup's valuable insights, all the All Star reviews are virtually all from retailers, Starboard employees, or other people with a potential conflict of interest I think.

There must surely be someone who races one in the UK? Could you try theirs. If there isn't anyone, maybe that says all you need to know. Or maybe they are just too expensive. There are still unsold 2015 Naish Javelin LEs for sale in the UK I think - they were over £2.5k.

I'm going to see if I can get out on one after my next race. I quite fancy another go on a Javelin (I liked the lowered deck of the 2016 version) but realistically, at this stage, I won't buy any board unless it is proven competent on flatwater using robust testing as that's how most of the UK races are held. A fast flatwater board than can draft or handle the first 10 minutes of carnage is the goal. Maybe a 25 allstar is that board maybe its something else.

ukgm

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #49 on: June 27, 2016, 12:30:32 AM »
Hey UKGM.

You're more than welcome to come and try a 14x25 to see how you get on. You have probably seen the board Mo has in Bournemouth which is only 12'6, maybe a bit small as you're pretty tall.

My comment relating to the fact it has done well in flat water races, simply that it must has something going to for it considering he is racing some of the UK top racers on flat water specific boards.

Anyway, on the 30th July we are offering a FREE training session with our main team rider don here in Bracklesham, Sussex.  We'll work on paddle technique etc.    You are more than welcome to come join the session and try the board, thus reviewing it yourself.   I'd be very interested to see what you think once ridden.

Thanks for the kind offer - I'll bear it in mind.

surfssup

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Jimmy Lewis UK Importer

ukgm

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #51 on: June 27, 2016, 12:38:17 AM »
I just got sent this so thought it may be of interest. http://www.seabreeze.com.au/forums/Stand-Up-Paddle/Review/201617-NEW-Jimmy-Lewis-Sidewinder-Race-Board/?SearchTerms=Jimmy%2CLewis%2Csidewinder

That's interesting. I have seen Mo's and Jason Sawyers board so can vouch for the decent finish [the only thing I would criticise Starboard of to date - I wonder what their 'no paint' finish is going to be like for durability next year]. I'm breaking up for summer in the next fortnight so I may well see if I can source a few different boards and do some more controlled  testing of my own.

coldsup

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 27, 2016, 12:49:00 AM »
Once again....that link/review is written by someone connected to JL sales.

Gets very tedious.

Area 10 has the only independent review I have seen so far....that's the only ONE on the web I have seen  :) 

UKGm.....you have the option to demo so go for it.

So many decent boards out there......

Back to my coffee

Oh...don't get me wrong in anyone thinking I am bashing JL....I'm a big fan of him....but hate all the social media pushing by the back door that ALL brands do.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2016, 12:56:26 AM by coldsup »

ukgm

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #53 on: June 27, 2016, 01:16:29 AM »

Oh...don't get me wrong in anyone thinking I am bashing JL....I'm a big fan of him....but hate all the social media pushing by the back door that ALL brands do.

I don't mind that they are connected, I do mind to that lack of disclosure. Mind you, I have now added content in my signature to keep mine as transparent as possible.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2016, 01:19:08 AM by ukgm »

surfssup

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #54 on: June 27, 2016, 01:38:12 AM »
We have  a very handy canal over here UKGM. Near Chichester so not a bad place to get some glass and wind free conditions.

Jimmy Lewis UK Importer

surfssup

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #55 on: June 27, 2016, 01:41:39 AM »
That answers my original question then - I have added the JL link to my signature.  Anyone else going to add it for clarity?

Jimmy Lewis UK Importer

coldsup

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 27, 2016, 02:14:32 AM »

I don't mind that they are connected, I do mind to that lack of disclosure. Mind you, I have now added content in my signature to keep mine as transparent as possible.

Re the 25 Allstar and Mistral.....have a chat with Nick Watt at SUP Store as he rides both. Yes, he sells both but I could bet you he would give you his own opinions on both boards quite freely. Always found him an honest bloke....and he is a big guy like yourself I think.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2016, 02:17:06 AM by coldsup »

ukgm

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #57 on: June 27, 2016, 02:23:01 AM »

Re the 25 Allstar and Mistral.....have a chat with Nick Watt at SUP Store as he rides both. Yes, he sells both but I could bet you he would give you his own opinions on both boards quite freely. Always found him an honest bloke....and he is a big guy like yourself I think.

Thanks. Yep, I know Nick well and he's sold me a couple of boards in the past. I'll likely tap him up to borrow an Allstar.

UKRiverSurfers

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 27, 2016, 03:11:43 AM »

Anti SB - has underlying reasons
I agree - there is an anti SB thing going on. However, I bizarrely have heard offline criticism from people that do not have a conflict of interest and its also interesting that many of the current UK team are actually opting to use different/older/discontinued boards still rather than that board.
SIC Bullet 17v2 Custom
Richmond Custom Carbon 16'
Starboard Point 14'8
Starboard K15
Starboard Astro Touring 14
Starboad Big Easy
Redpaddle Ride 10'6
Badfish Rivershred
Jackson SUPercharger
Badfish MVP 9'o
Badfish IRS 7'2
Pack OC1 12'

UKRiverSurfers

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 27, 2016, 03:13:24 AM »
The 27 Allstar is really stable and I am talking about stability on the ocean rather than flat water stuff.

I would be okay on the 25 on flat water and guess would be okay over more time out in the ocean...but I don't paddle 14 boards all the time and regularly....so 25 not for me.

I really like the uncluttered design of the board.....it is a user friendly board.....but I will leave it to the racers to decide how it stacks up against others. I'm not surprised it is well liked though.

Secondary stability...

The AS is low in primary stability...

SIC Bullet 17v2 Custom
Richmond Custom Carbon 16'
Starboard Point 14'8
Starboard K15
Starboard Astro Touring 14
Starboad Big Easy
Redpaddle Ride 10'6
Badfish Rivershred
Jackson SUPercharger
Badfish MVP 9'o