Author Topic: early morning decisions  (Read 5060 times)

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
early morning decisions
« on: February 11, 2016, 12:33:48 AM »
Well for my pal it was work either way.  Driving a ski for Peahi rescue or driving a bulldozer for me?  My dilemma was the more contrasted as I wanted to actually have fun in the water SUSing.  So we watched a glassy ocean and bright white ribbons line the north coast of Maui from 2K feet on Haleakala.  He greased up the machine and moved dirt around.  He kept getting calls.  The Eddie was waiting till noon, the Eddie was cancelled. He normally drives for Kai but since today Kai was at Waimea waiting, he was on hold for an old photographer pal of ours for Peahi.  He finally rolled out.

My calls were about the swell getting too big too quick and being very inconsistent.  Other pals were getting trashed.  Some reported inside the harbor too small.  Seemed like a lot of driving around so I just stayed put and worked.  At the end of the day my 'on my feet time' was more than if I'd SUSed.  It sure looked big from far but glad I got stuff done and am just as sunburnt and  tired.  Early in the morning making decisions.  Note earth machines in background

covesurfer

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Re: early morning decisions
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2016, 12:48:11 AM »
Great photo.

I went and looked at Kanaha after giving up in the harbor before 10 am. Kathy was getting waves on the inside, down in front of the tower where she often goes. The pack was sitting or standing way, way outside. far past the usual spot for the peak. Everybody was way down to the west as well, no one anywhere near the triangle. I could see Kathy scratching over some good sized stuff and then she'd be on a wave. I never saw her get creamed but I did see some sets that were impressive. Massive close outs with white water that was seriously sized rolling half way into the lagoon. It didn't look inviting at all but I was almost ready to give the inside a try. And then I saw one of the sets and remembered I needed to run some errands. Yeah, that's what I told myself. 

WhatsSUP

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2016, 07:20:09 AM »
Looks like you got a heck of a project going on Bill!  What ya building?
Jimmy Lewis B&B Flat nose 10'1"
Sunova Creek 9'4" 
TAVA 11'2"
NSP Element 11'
KeNalu Wiki paddle
Kialoa Insanity paddle
Misc other paddles

SuppaTime

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2016, 09:10:28 AM »
Is that Victor Lopez? I was talking with him recently about some grading on our place. Funny.

I was all set for dawn patrol to try to beat the arrival of the big thumpers but the 57 degree temps at 5am cooled my ardor a bit and I went back to bed. I know, what a wimp.
Slippahs:
Locals size 13
Reefs size 13
None size 13

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2016, 09:38:53 AM »
I was freezing my ass off when I went out at Kanaha at 6:30. I would have put my vest on for warmth if I didn't already have it on to keep from getting killed. Way too much paddling around looking for a way to catch waves without getting jammed. Funny that's it's not usually size that freaks me out, it's inconsistency. We've ridden the size of waves that were scaring the crap out of me, but we could see them coming and get in the right spot. When they're hiding behind peaked up overhead mid-size stuff there's not much hope of that.

If I'd seen Kathy in the lineup before I went in, I'd have stayed out--I'd have known where to stand. she's got some kind of deal with the devil. If I tried that middle stuff on my own I'd take ten on the head before I caught a ride.

I'm seeing more of Victor than I am of you lately. These house projects are screwing with our water time. I can see the end of my projects, another couple of weeks and I'm done. Yours is just starting.

I've always heard that Victor is the best heavy equipment guy on the island, except when there's a good swell.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2016, 09:43:28 AM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2016, 05:52:24 PM »
And here's why.  I gladly let him go.  Chuck took this trying to outrun on a jetski.  Victor is 65 like me and has considerable back issues that he ignores when opportunities like this arise.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2016, 10:20:05 PM »
Not fair that Victor looks like he's forty while I look like every day of my 69.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

SUPcheat

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2016, 11:11:52 PM »
So, 57 degrees in Maui is "freezing" cough, ahem?

Big swell headed for NorCal next two days. More Mavericks fun and I will probably just be a looky loo and go to the gym instead.
2013 Fanatic Prowave LTD 9'3"x30.5x@134L
Sunova Speeed 8'10"x29.12@131L
Sunova Flow 8'7"x30.25"@121L
Carbon 9.3x32@163L Hammer
Me: 6'1"@230 lbs 68 years old

SuppaTime

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2016, 11:53:44 PM »
So, 57 degrees in Maui is "freezing" cough, ahem?

Yeah, yeah, I know. Some of us have gotten spoiled. But I paid my dues living in Seattle for many years and windsurfing all winter long, with air temps of 40 and water temps of 50. No me gusta. That is why I no longer live in Seattle. :)
Slippahs:
Locals size 13
Reefs size 13
None size 13

starman

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2016, 04:08:29 PM »
Wow...really nice picture of Victor on that wave. I had to think for a more then a few as to why he was wearing such a warm outfit at the job site. It's sometimes hard to imagine the climate change when you start climbing up the crater. I hope the job moves along as it could be hard to keep working when you have a view of the water.

covesurfer

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2016, 04:57:03 PM »
I learned about standup in Hawaii and started out surfing one. When I returned to Oregon, it was December. I was badly hooked. I bought a used Glide 14 and broke out one of my many wetsuits and started my flatwater and eventual downwind paddle obsession. I paddled regularly if the air was 35 or above. The water temps were around 38 to 40 fahrenheit.

When I first moved to Oregon in 1986, I windsurfed all winter in that same cold-ass water. Started going to the OR coast to surf in the 90's, it was a balmy 48 to 52 in the water, usually, with air from 40 to 70 (once in a great while). Oregon felt balmy after living at 7000' in SW Colorado, although it was nice and dry!

I appreciate every single day living in HI and pretty much hate freezing cold water. But, if I found myself back somewhere where that was the only show in town, you can bet I'd get used to it again.

It is true that after a few months or more in any climate, you begin to get habituated to it. It rarely drops below the mid 70's where we live and that feels cool. 60's is downright cold and I haven't felt air in the 50's in a couple of years. It's all just what you get used to.

JP4

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2016, 05:54:26 PM »
Cove, you're missing some really nice weather here in HR. Paddled in the 45f rain yesterday, which actually wasn't too bad because the wind was pretty light. Rode the lunch ride for a couple hours in the rain today. It's funny that it literally felt warm at 46f after last week's two thousand foot descent in the rain (Chenoweth, Carroll, Digger) with temps in the low 30's. It's all relative I guess. Unless you break down and die of exposure ;)
JP

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

SUPcheat

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2016, 06:18:03 PM »
Santa Cruz is pretty close to perfect for my pasty white ways.  I can't take a lot of sun, anyway.

Maui heat and humidity had me wanting to strip down and run naked the first day. 

It is kind of nice having water that's so warm it feels like you peed in your wetsuit, though.
2013 Fanatic Prowave LTD 9'3"x30.5x@134L
Sunova Speeed 8'10"x29.12@131L
Sunova Flow 8'7"x30.25"@121L
Carbon 9.3x32@163L Hammer
Me: 6'1"@230 lbs 68 years old

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2016, 06:44:03 PM »
My house is amazing for temperature. Set back so the wind doesn't go crazy, but strong enough to send the mosquitos on their way.  Chilly in the morning (65) and then 75 all day with nice breezes, then back down to 60 in the evening so you can stack on a few blankets.

I don't know why people want to live on the south or west shores. The North Shore is fabulous. Unfortunately people are figuring that out, and it's getting more populated, mostly with high-end homes.

surfercook

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Jersey Shore
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2016, 09:40:19 PM »
My house is amazing for temperature. Set back so the wind doesn't go crazy, but strong enough to send the mosquitos on their way.  Chilly in the morning (65) and then 75 all day with nice breezes, then back down to 60 in the evening so you can stack on a few blankets.
That sounds nice. I found Encinitas to be a climate that suited my tastes. It never got above 80 the whole time I was out there. (1/30-2/13). The morning air was brisk though. Here in New Jersey we get a full buffet of weather patterns! Keeps you on your toes!
One could go into a mall in Kansas and ask a teenager "What is a surfer looking for?, and the answer will always be, "The perfect wave"
9'11" PSH Hull Ripper-145 ltr    
9'3" PSH  Hull Ripper- 130ltr 
8'0" Corevac Assassin -127 ltr   
Paddles- Carbonerro PRO SERIES 85 & Riviera Camo at 70"

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal