Author Topic: DIY over the shoulder GoPro mount  (Read 5951 times)

SUP Sports ®

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Stoked For Life ®
    • View Profile
    • SUP Sports ®
    • Email
DIY over the shoulder GoPro mount
« on: February 10, 2016, 12:45:55 PM »
Trying to get a different perspective than the mouth mount I've been using the last couple of months...

Testing out my DIY over the shoulder GoPro mount on my 8'11" Hammer in small high tide waves this morning...

A couple more little tweaks on it and then I hope to nab some decent waves from this new swell that's starting to fill in...

https://youtu.be/SFN2l0FDPMY
Mahalos...{:~)

WARDOG ®
Owner/CEO  StandUp Paddle Sports®  &   SurfingSports®.com, Inc.

(805)962-SUPS (7877) store
(888)805-9978 toll free

Retail Store:
Standup Paddle Sports, LLC
121 Santa Barbara St.
Santa Barbara, CA 93101

Off-Shore

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • HksupaHK SUP and Downwinding
Re: DIY over the shoulder GoPro mount
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2016, 03:26:47 PM »
Great to see you try this. As you know I have been messing around with the 3rd person view for downwinding and cruising but never in the waves. What I've found is that a very small adjustment in position or GoPro angle can radically change the image and that I have to try and set it up for the shot I most want to get. As an example in downwinding I am either in parallel stance or surf stance, and setting it so it gets best images in surf stance will mean the footage in parallel stance is compromised. There is just a lot of testing required to get it right. I take my phone with me and review footage mid session using wireless and then adjust on the fly.

What I also like about the 3rd person mount is that the mount goes with you when you fall rather than stay on the board.

Here is some good surf action from a guy using the same system I have.

http://youtu.be/8RCn165haDk
« Last Edit: February 10, 2016, 03:30:38 PM by Off-Shore »
SB 9' x 33' x 4.1" - RPC 9'8" iSUP - SB All-Star 12'6" - Blue Planet Bump Rider 14 - SB Ace 14 x 27 - RedAir 14' Elite Race - SIC Bullet 14v1 TWC - SICMaui F16v3 Custom

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/HksupaHk_SUP_and_Downwinding

surfercook

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Jersey Shore
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2016, 09:56:30 PM »
Pretty cool! Shaky as sh!t on land, smooth on water! Just like a surfer! pov is kinda tough to grasp, a bit "dizzying", but I could see using it in an edit. Hot 'n glassy conditions work best!
Liked these two sho.

« Last Edit: February 10, 2016, 09:59:00 PM by surfercook »
One could go into a mall in Kansas and ask a teenager "What is a surfer looking for?, and the answer will always be, "The perfect wave"
9'11" PSH Hull Ripper-145 ltr    
9'3" PSH  Hull Ripper- 130ltr 
8'0" Corevac Assassin -127 ltr   
Paddles- Carbonerro PRO SERIES 85 & Riviera Camo at 70"

SUP Sports ®

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Stoked For Life ®
    • View Profile
    • SUP Sports ®
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2016, 10:39:24 AM »
Pretty cool! Shaky as sh!t on land, smooth on water! Just like a surfer! pov is kinda tough to grasp, a bit "dizzying", but I could see using it in an edit. Hot 'n glassy conditions work best!
Liked these two sho.

I call that the shaky shake on land the "bobblehead" effect...;-)

A couple of frame grabs from my new and improved over the shoulder polecam iteration...got some better footage than yesterday that I will edit up later...also, had some magic happen when a dolphin pod swam under me...

WARDOG ®

(888)805-9978 toll free

Retail Store:
121 Santa Barbara St.
Santa Barbara, CA 93101

SUP Sports ®

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Stoked For Life ®
    • View Profile
    • SUP Sports ®
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2016, 01:34:31 PM »
Pretty stoked with the results of my latest polecam iteration...7'10" Jammer sesh...

‪#‎stokedforlife‬ ‪#‎surfingwithdolphins‬

https://youtu.be/a9eUwSoMrUM

Mouthcam clip from a few days ago...

https://youtu.be/2WxMBTLFiMU

http://blog.surfingsports.com/jammer-sup

WARDOG ®

(888)805-9978 toll free

Retail Store:
121 Santa Barbara St.
Santa Barbara, CA 93101

surfercook

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Jersey Shore
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2016, 09:27:03 PM »
Pole cam iteration is mo better! Even the dolphins like it! I've been in Encinitas the past two weeks and have seen dolphins, whales, seals, and pelicans! Sea life is as amazing as waves!
Post a better pic of the new rig? I would love to do a shoot(or two or three) with it!
One could go into a mall in Kansas and ask a teenager "What is a surfer looking for?, and the answer will always be, "The perfect wave"

supthecreek

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2016, 10:10:59 PM »
Thanks Wardog.... it's cool to see another version of this mount.

Wetsuff made this one up and sent it to me a few years ago.
I call it the "Road Warrior Mount" because of the shoulder pads that the pole is mounted on..... very sturdy.
I always wanted to lengthen the rod.... but I haven't taken it out in surf yet...... it's fairly odd looking, so I keep putting it off :)

In this picture, I was using a Drift Camera.... but a Session's would be perfect.
I'll have to pull it out for a surf session.

SUP Sports ®

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Stoked For Life ®
    • View Profile
    • SUP Sports ®
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2016, 11:20:36 AM »
...and then there is George Greenough...;-)

17# of camera gear strapped to his back...

Long before the invention of HD video cameras, we’re talking the 1960s here, George Greenough was muscling an unwieldy, full-sized film camera to capture POV footage from inside the tube.

In a fortuitous turn of events, the iconic surf filmmaker, board designer, and Santa Barbara, California, native made a recent discovery—lost footage from his days shooting “The Innermost Limits of Pure Fun.” He partnered up with Patagonia to make it public.

https://youtu.be/AgOblhJHzP4

WARDOG ®

(888)805-9978 toll free

Retail Store:
121 Santa Barbara St.
Santa Barbara, CA 93101

SUP Sports ®

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Stoked For Life ®
    • View Profile
    • SUP Sports ®
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2016, 11:37:44 AM »
I've had a number of POV lipstick cam setups with a recorder in a waterproof case inside of a hydration backpack that I used to windsurf with...
I mounted the lipstick cam on a Gath helmet or my favorite setup was on the side of a pair of sunglasses...
I also mounted an Oly digicam on top of my helmet...dangerously heavy...but, got some good footage...;-)

This new over the shoulder polecam setup for the GoPro worked really well today in bigger surf...it's a keeper...

https://youtu.be/Us2R4ZUUMe0

I'm using a hydration pack made for surfing with a PVC framework...hot glued the pieces together so I can take it apart or adjust it...
I also have a smaller neoprene hydration pack that I put my extendable GoPole in...

WARDOG ®

(888)805-9978 toll free

Retail Store:
121 Santa Barbara St.
Santa Barbara, CA 93101

FeralInBaja

• What?
  • Rincon Status
  • Beginner's mind... works for me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2016, 12:24:28 PM »
Wardog!!! Those boards look KILLER!!! I've only ever ridden 1 SUP, I learned on my 6'10" (!) It is possible. But that Jammer, with the colors! Gonna read your website to see if they come with stringers (I'm new SUP'er, 6 1/2 mos. now) but I see many are stringerless, and that wouldn't cut it in my beachbreak. Rad Camera rigs, too.
Feral
8' 4" S3 Simsup 134 ltr.
6' 10" 88 ltr. Solid Surf Quad

Blue Planet Surf
FeatherLight Carbon Paddle!
Gifted from Rob- Eternal Aloha to you Rob.
Isle Pro Carbon Paddle
Surfercook Special ThankYou!!!

CamOne Infinity and GoPro (Sadly destroyed in Big Beachbreak)
Thank you Wetstuff and NoSaltSuper

SUP Sports ®

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Stoked For Life ®
    • View Profile
    • SUP Sports ®
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2016, 01:52:49 PM »
Aloha Feral,
Since you are a surfer, I know that you would love the Jammer...
I kinda morphed the design from the Cheyne Horan/Geoff McCoy "Lazor Zap"...but, with (IMO) a vastly improved fin scenario...
You could easily ride a 6'10" version that would pretty much blow chunks on your current 6'10"...faster...more stable...and, easier to turn...but, we could also lengthen it a bit if you desire...

What Geoff McCoy says here applies to high performance SUPs and volume distributions of wide tailed SUP boards...

"The concept of the Lazor Zap is based on my Energy Theory, how that Energy turns into Wave Formation and how Objects react with those Formations. The Original Lazor Zap was designed with Short Arc, Reactive High Powered Surfing in mind. The Surfer was able to stand in 1 position, not having to move their feet to perform their manouvers and this is exactly how the boards performed. The Pulled Nose allowed the board to Elevate very quickly as it reduced the Length of Rail being used when the board is turning. In turn this allowed for more manouvers to be performed while the Surfer was Standing in a Fixed Position on the Wide Thick Supportive Tail which generates Greater Pressure and Easier Reaction. The advantages were many, easier to paddle, stand in one position to ride the wave, quicker reaction from the extra volume, easier turning from less resistance, and ability to Surf at a Faster Speed; in effect everything required of them the Lazor Zap Designs Delivered at all levels of performance."

Here is the website link to the Jammer...

http://blog.surfingsports.com/jammer-sup

Also, the Zone Jammer thread...over 66K views...

http://www.standupzone.com/forum/index.php/topic,9679.195.html

Re: stringers...I definitely believe in and use stringers in my boards...for one, they help to maintain the original design of the shaped board during glassing...and, they add strength...furthermore, I use a synthetic nylon stringer called "Powerline" in all of my high performance short board style SUP models built here in California...and, we are also working on a new stringer technology that will further improve flex and strength...stay tuned...;-)

I surfed my 7'8" Jammer at a beach break spot south of you last Summer...we "own" property further down in the Baja...I'll try and look you up next time we pass thru TJ...

« Last Edit: February 14, 2016, 01:55:11 PM by SUPsports »

WARDOG ®

(888)805-9978 toll free

Retail Store:
121 Santa Barbara St.
Santa Barbara, CA 93101

SUP Sports ®

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Stoked For Life ®
    • View Profile
    • SUP Sports ®
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2016, 02:35:20 PM »
Wardog!!! Those boards look KILLER!!! I've only ever ridden 1 SUP, I learned on my 6'10" (!) It is possible. But that Jammer, with the colors! Gonna read your website to see if they come with stringers (I'm new SUP'er, 6 1/2 mos. now) but I see many are stringerless, and that wouldn't cut it in my beachbreak. Rad Camera rigs, too.
Feral

Re: cam rigs...

Both of these work...weights are neglible...
Rig #1: weights are 1lb 13oz without hydration bladder...2lb 3oz with (empty)...
Rig #2: weight is 1lb 1oz without hydration bladder...

WARDOG ®

(888)805-9978 toll free

Retail Store:
121 Santa Barbara St.
Santa Barbara, CA 93101

FeralInBaja

• What?
  • Rincon Status
  • Beginner's mind... works for me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2016, 06:16:08 PM »
Wardog!!! Dude! I can't believe I didn't catch that Geoff McCoy connection. I was looking through the boards on your site and it just didn't click, but now it all makes sense. I had 1 actual McCoy Lazer Zap with the keel fin (found the shape incredible, but the fin only worked in really lined up waves for me...) and I had a Joey Thomas quad that shape in 84? 85? that I bought for almost nothing in new condition from Richard Schmidt. Feather light and one of the best boards I ever had, of any era. Just a little less foam than R.S. wanted, so I got lucky. I saw that thinned-down rail on the board ready to be glassed. Killer idea, I like the board I'm riding, but it's obviously designed for fun, mushy stuff and gets a little crazy controlling it with my skinny bones when it's overhead, hollow and bumpy. That's when that thinned-down rail would rule. Or whenever you wanted to throw some serious buckets of spray. I'm throwing in one of my fave pix from your website, with my "Jimi Hendrix Poster/Edvard Munch" treatment. Psyched on your boards and I saw you have some used ones around. OH!!! With that thinned-down rail, how does that relate to chop/static balance (waiting for waves especially while not paddling on my 6' 10" x 29" Wide is a different sport than surfing it) I don't feel I'd ever want to go wider than now, can't see why... but would the thin rails partially obviate my need to go narrower for barrels on similar volume board?  Sorry for hijacking your cam-pole thread, I love taking pics too,  just got amped when you said Lazer Zap. Thanks for the stoke. And I'd be stoked to see you and whoever passing by, I'm in Rosarito, going on 2 years here. I'd love to look one of those boards over in person. Unreal looking shapes...
Feral
« Last Edit: February 14, 2016, 06:20:17 PM by FeralInBaja »
8' 4" S3 Simsup 134 ltr.
6' 10" 88 ltr. Solid Surf Quad

Blue Planet Surf
FeatherLight Carbon Paddle!
Gifted from Rob- Eternal Aloha to you Rob.
Isle Pro Carbon Paddle
Surfercook Special ThankYou!!!

CamOne Infinity and GoPro (Sadly destroyed in Big Beachbreak)
Thank you Wetstuff and NoSaltSuper

SUP Sports ®

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Stoked For Life ®
    • View Profile
    • SUP Sports ®
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2016, 08:28:21 AM »
Aloha Feral,
Love the Jimi Hendrix treatment...;-)

One of my favs...

“When the power of love overcomes the love of power then the world will know peace”
--Jimi Hendrix

I had a Jimi Hendrix windsurf sail...pics were of my windSUP rig from '07...

I think Jimi would be all "purple haze" and "rainbow bridge"...;-)

I think that Anne-Marie Reichman (pro windsurfer/surfer/standup paddler/artist) on Maui, actually channeled what I was feeling with those Jammer paint jobs...
I just saw her Facebook post with the attached painting..."So fun to paint all the happy yellow energy in this wave."

Funny...must be from the same prone surfing era...I surfed with those Santa Cruz guys back in the day on my way up and down the coast from Humboldt...also, VC and King Van Dyke...etc...

With that thinned-down rail, how does that relate to chop/static balance (waiting for waves especially while not paddling

Part of the "secret sauce" of the stepped rail Jammer is that water holds the rails down increasing the stability in chop...H20 weighs 8#/gal...and, the volume distribution pushed radically back allows you to stand in staggered surf stance ready to take late drops...in fact, I've virtually had no paddle take-offs...I call it the "lemon seed" effect...;-)
« Last Edit: February 15, 2016, 08:39:14 AM by SUPsports »

WARDOG ®

(888)805-9978 toll free

Retail Store:
121 Santa Barbara St.
Santa Barbara, CA 93101

surfercook

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Jersey Shore
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2016, 09:27:57 PM »
Lazer Zapped by Hendrix! Seriously sweet art work, surfing, and boards...pole cams too!
« Last Edit: February 15, 2016, 09:41:23 PM by surfercook »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal