Author Topic: 14' boards with clean lines?  (Read 20823 times)

supuk

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Re: 14' boards with clean lines?
« Reply #45 on: February 11, 2016, 06:17:15 AM »
i think clean may be the wrong  word, if every board was painted plain white i thing most would be described as clean no?  perhaps it would be better describing this look as simple lines were less is more, but that would rule out a lot of boards that have been described. I would not describe my board as clean lines personal and that was not what i was looking for when i built it.

As usual with forums what people have paid a lot for or have been given mates rates or have some relation with a brand suddenly become the best board in the world until they by a new one or change brands which is just all to transparent its quite amusing

UKRiverSurfers

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 11, 2016, 06:56:37 AM »
Lines are all to do with shape from various angles....No?

Some boards don't have clean lines and it can be seen when foreshortened looking from nose to tail or vice versa..

All my production boards have flat spots in the profile where its supposed to be curved.

The 'Line' would be like a horizon line or brow on a hill which will show up flaws in the shape.

You could say the 'line' is the imaginary 'outline' that the brain perceives that surrounds things.   ??

Look at a hand shaped Al Merrick short board and it will have amazingling fine lines with almost perfect curves.

« Last Edit: February 11, 2016, 07:05:02 AM by UKRiverSurfers »
SIC Bullet 17v2 Custom
Richmond Custom Carbon 16'
Starboard Point 14'8
Starboard K15
Starboard Astro Touring 14
Starboad Big Easy
Redpaddle Ride 10'6
Badfish Rivershred
Jackson SUPercharger
Badfish MVP 9'o
Badfish IRS 7'2
Pack OC1 12'

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #47 on: February 11, 2016, 07:28:02 AM »
As usual with forums what people have paid a lot for or have been given mates rates or have some relation with a brand suddenly become the best board in the world until they by a new one or change brands which is just all to transparent its quite amusing

Sometimes I just roll my eyes even though I'm sometimes as guilty as anyone. I do try to make sure folks realize that unless they are 6-4, 280, with similar experience and real bad balance then my opinion may not apply. This is all so personal, like my Dad always said..."Opinions are like assholes"..... ;)

That said...my old Vec was inspired by the Foote Maliko 14. I've always loved the lines on her. Here she is on her maiden voyage 6+ years ago.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 11, 2016, 08:22:00 AM »
i think clean may be the wrong  word, if every board was painted plain white i thing most would be described as clean no?  perhaps it would be better describing this look as simple lines were less is more, but that would rule out a lot of boards that have been described. I would not describe my board as clean lines personal and that was not what i was looking for when i built it.

Well I very much enjoy the cynicism of this post. And there is no doubt some truth here. But perhaps you are being a little unkind? People will tend to buy boards that they like the look of, and I don't think it is wrong to be enthused about a new board.

I do think we know what we mean by "clean lines", broadly. And it is indeed to do with simplicity of form as you suggest. Some shapes just look "right" in the way that some art does. In fact there have been scientific studies into it.

It would be easy for me to quote a whole raft of boards that I don't think have clean lines. There sure are some fugly boards out there. But if I did that I'd be dissing a helluva lot of boards that a helluva lot of people have paid a helluva lot of money for. So I think I'll pass on that one. But if you PM me I'll suggest a few. There is one brand in particular that makes relatively few clean-lined boards. And yes, I think that graphics can make a difference. But it goes far beyond that. It is about economy and consistency of form, and a sense of balance I think.

This may sound a bit arty farty or pretentious but I think if you lined up 20 different boards and asked 100 different people to rate the beauty of their shape alone (ie. forget graphics) then I'd bet you'd get a surprising amount of agreement about which board shape looks best, just as you would if you asked people to rate the best looking cars. I think for instance that maybe continuous rocker looks better to the eye than progressive rocker.

And that board of Stoneaxe's is a good example of clean lines to me. Lovely.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2016, 08:27:15 AM by Area 10 »

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 11, 2016, 08:34:39 AM »
With an Infinity Blackfish custom you choose the lines to ride that best match the lines you take:

http://scontent-a.cdninstagram.com/hphotos-xap1/t51.2885-15/10788027_1507883149460792_672665226_n.jpg

Luc Benac

• Teahupoo Status
  • Super Natural British Columbia
    • View Profile
    • When not paddling...
    • Email
« Reply #50 on: February 11, 2016, 09:38:44 AM »

This may sound a bit arty farty or pretentious but I think if you lined up 20 different boards and asked 100 different people to rate the beauty of their shape alone (ie. forget graphics) then I'd bet you'd get a surprising amount of agreement about which board shape looks best, just as you would if you asked people to rate the best looking cars. I think for instance that maybe continuous rocker looks better to the eye than progressive rocker.

That is what it is. It is the same for a B&W photography (I happen to be a photographer if not an active one lately).
Sunova Allwater 14'x25.5" 303L Viento 520
Sunova Torpedo 14'x27" 286L Salish 500
Naish Nalu 11'4" x 30" 180L Andaman 520
Sunova Steeze 10' x 31" 150L
Blackfish Paddles

supuk

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 11, 2016, 10:24:41 AM »
i agree with the hole if it looks good it often is but i don't think a board has to have clean lines to be good or attractive just look at car design and there are plenty of booth with probably the more angular designs being more of the trend at the moment.
 I would think clean lines would suggest fairly simple smooth curves and relatively minimal however things like the sic's actually have various chines on the deck and spines that i would say do not follow that and things like that particular JL has very angular deck recess with very hard deck lines which again i would say was not particularly clean, Im not saying any of those are bad, i personally like a few lines to brake things up at times  but i wouldn't describe them as clean although paint them all a single colour and they well appear a lot clean. On the opposite side i would say something like the new fanatic ocean 14 actually has some clean simple lines however the paint job does a very good job of hiding them or the barks that are both what i would say is fairly clean and simple and has paint to accentuate them.

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 11, 2016, 10:44:47 AM »
Oh yeah for sure, this discussion is about aesthetics only. There are plenty of fugly boards that are brutally effective at what they do. The latest trend for surf SUPs shaped like a barn door is one example.

Even Enzo Ferrari conceded that the original Jaguar E-Type was the most beautiful car ever made. But it wasn't the fastest, even in it's day.

Some people really don't care much what their board looks like. For instance many racers - perhaps most - only have one criterion for purchasing: "will it make me go faster?"

But equally there are quite a few paddlers for who me the look of a board is even more important than it's performance. They do not want to spend thousands of dollars on something that looks like it would be rejected by a dumpster as too ugly to bear.

We hear a huge amount on these forums about "performance", but I can't remember another thread that is about looks only (I'm sure there must have been some at some point however). So this is a welcome discussion for me, and it is enlightening to hear what other people find beautiful.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 11, 2016, 10:53:23 AM »
The clean lines of a downwind board unfortunately make them bog-slow in flatwater. Continuous rocker, more or less required to make a board maneuver and catch bumps well, makes it drag like crazy unless by continuous the designer means "continually flat as a pancake". We need some drag in downwind boards--we're looking to gain energy from the bumps. The notion that this is really a gravity sport and we're just running downhill is instantly dispelled when you feel the acceleration of turning across the face of a wave--or it does if you think about it instead of just shouting "wheeee!".

The ugly, angular flatwater boards are just form following function. You want to penetrate the bow wave and anything else encountering the nose, but you don't want that water weight staying on the board--hence bulbous noses. You want rider weight as low as possible and the lowest angle of thrust possible so less of it is wasted pushing down on the deck--hence footwells or other ways of lowering the contact point between feet and board. etc, etc..

Human eyes see beautiful streamlining where there really isn't much. Vintage cars look streamlined when they really are just made to look that way, with form that flings air everywhere, reducing downforce and screwing up all the dynamics of making a car go around a track quickly. The really fast, dynamically efficient cars look like shit. People love the look of a Ferrari 250 GTO so much that they'll spend $38 million bucks for one, but they get so light in the rear end at speed that no one in their right mind races them at 8/10ths, never mind 10/10ths. I'd still like one.

Mark Raaphorst has been using this rocker line a long time. If it works, it works. This is a Ku Nalu on top of a Bullet. The Ku Nalu was the first SUP board mark built, probably about 2006. He still has the mold. I had him make this one for me a couple of years ago.  A little tighter in the nose for the Ku Nalu. If I didn't know the history I'd think the Ku Nalu rocker duplicated the Bullet with the little nose kick added to help keep from whacking the backs of swells given the shorter length.

« Last Edit: February 11, 2016, 11:16:09 AM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Luc Benac

• Teahupoo Status
  • Super Natural British Columbia
    • View Profile
    • When not paddling...
    • Email
« Reply #54 on: February 11, 2016, 11:01:05 AM »

That would be a board that attract my eyes and that I could perfectly use - joining form and function :-)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bn81Qki5_GI

That would be a board that attract my eyes but for which I would have limited or no use where I am paddling.
http://distressedmullet.com/2015/11/14/custom-board-candy-ian-balding-albatross-standup-paddleboard/
Sunova Allwater 14'x25.5" 303L Viento 520
Sunova Torpedo 14'x27" 286L Salish 500
Naish Nalu 11'4" x 30" 180L Andaman 520
Sunova Steeze 10' x 31" 150L
Blackfish Paddles

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 11, 2016, 10:18:28 PM »
It is interesting that a lot of the boards people have posted for having "clean lines" look similar.  I like many of them, and share others' feelings who've said a board's appearance is important.

Years later, I still think my Javelin is the most beautiful board I've seen.  I think "clean lines" describes it, although "sculptural" may be better.  The shape from the side is so flat it almost looks crude at first, but closer up it's anything but that.  Quiet, subtle design.  I also like that it's all white--no colors or wild graphics to distract from the form or make it look dated.  It's a dry martini of the board world, in contrast to some boards that are more like six-packs of caffeinated beer shoplifted from the convenience store. (Photos courtesy DJ):

« Last Edit: February 11, 2016, 10:53:02 PM by pdxmike »

Muskoka SUP

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 12, 2016, 05:21:27 AM »
Yup. ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I concur, Mike.  Just like I said earlier. "Naish boards looked great back when Harold Iggy shaped..."
It ain't over until the fat board sinks....

JP4

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #57 on: February 12, 2016, 08:01:18 AM »

Years later, I still think my Javelin is the most beautiful board I've seen.  I think "clean lines" describes it, although "sculptural" may be better.  The shape from the side is so flat it almost looks crude at first, but closer up it's anything but that.  Quiet, subtle design.  I also like that it's all white--no colors or wild graphics to distract from the form or make it look dated. 

I concur. I still have one of those that I take out from time to time. Beautiful board. Paddles pretty well too.
JP

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

covesurfer

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 12, 2016, 09:25:56 AM »

I concur. I still have one of those that I take out from time to time. Beautiful board. Paddles pretty well too.
JP

Dood, you have never said a good word about that board until now. What, now you're pono J, taking boards out from 'time to time'? Sorry, just couldn't resist poking fun, I thought you hated that Jav....

JP4

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #59 on: February 12, 2016, 10:06:28 AM »

JP

Dood, you have never said a good word about that board until now. What, now you're pono J, taking boards out from 'time to time'? Sorry, just couldn't resist poking fun, I thought you hated that Jav....

Oh, don't misunderstand me, I still have a certain level of hate for that board, even if it paddles pretty well. It will throw you in the water if you look at it wrong. That's why I make my son downwind on it :o
Go back to your macanu Cove, this is a SUP forum!

JP

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal