Author Topic: Providence Paddle Battle set for Labor Day Weekend  (Read 6291 times)

kayadogg

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Providence Paddle Battle set for Labor Day Weekend
« on: February 09, 2016, 06:46:21 AM »
The 3rd annual Providence Paddle Battle will be held on Labor Day weekend this year, Sunday September 4th. We realize this weekend may not be ideal for some but the feedback we received is that late August can be difficult due to school getting back in session, people squeezing in last minute vacations, etc. We thought a 3-day weekend might actually help and make it easier for some to attend.

This year we're adding a clinic on the day before the race by Anthony Vela. He'll be doing a Performance Paddling clinic focusing on paddling technique and raceboard drills and skills. More details on that to come.

Rumor has it that a bunch of SoCal paddlers may be headed out for this race too, so New Englanders get ready to defend your home ground! Thanks to everyone that has helped us the past 2 years while we organized and ran this from CA. Hopefully it will be much easier now that we're back in Lil' Rhody. Hope to see you all on the 4th.

www.providencepaddlebattle.com

PDLSFR

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Re: Providence Paddle Battle set for Labor Day Weekend
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2016, 08:12:35 AM »
Awesome Event !!

Looking forward to it and I promise I will not stuff the raffle box with too many tickets this year !!
Infinity RNB 8'2
Ron House 9'7
Ron House 10'7
Infinity New Deal 10'
Custom Infinity New Deal 10'
VEC 11'
Focus Bluefin 14'

WhatsSUP

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2016, 04:49:44 PM »
Cool!  I'll planning on being in Newport that week so will definitely put it on the calendar.  Look forward to registration details.

8)
Jimmy Lewis B&B Flat nose 10'1"
Sunova Creek 9'4" 
TAVA 11'2"
NSP Element 11'
KeNalu Wiki paddle
Kialoa Insanity paddle
Misc other paddles

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2016, 05:35:15 PM »
Might even be some geezer from Oregon. I'm considering doing the CCBC, doing Providence a week later sounds good.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

mrbig

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2016, 05:58:48 PM »
God willing and the crick don't rise "I shall return" for my third! Fun at ALL levels!
Let it come to you..
SMIK 9'2" Hipster Mini Mal
SMIK 8'8" Short Mac Freo Rainbow Bridge
SMIK 8'4" Hipster Twin
King's 8'2" Accelerator SharkBoy

PDLSFR

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2016, 05:59:36 AM »
Infinity RNB 8'2
Ron House 9'7
Ron House 10'7
Infinity New Deal 10'
Custom Infinity New Deal 10'
VEC 11'
Focus Bluefin 14'

WhatsSUP

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2016, 03:15:05 PM »
Awesome....I just logged in and registered for the short course race.  Really looking forward to this!!!!!  This will be a first for me....never raced/competed in anything SUP-related.

Thanks PDLSFR!  Talk soon! 
Sunova Creek 9'4" 
TAVA 11'2"
NSP Element 11'
KeNalu Wiki paddle
Kialoa Insanity paddle
Misc other paddles

kayadogg

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2016, 08:15:46 AM »
Just an update... thanks to PDLSRF, he helped us secure a new venue for this year's Providence Paddle Battle. Instead of holding the event at the Gano Park boat launch, we were outgrew after the first year, the race is going to be held just across the river at the East Providence Yacht Club. This is better for a number of reasons and doesn't change the course layout all that much. Now there will be one-stop shopping for: easy on-site parking, food, drinks (yes, alcohol), direct water access via their own private marina and docks, large beautiful new decks that overlook the river and downtown Providence, and live music. We're really looking forward to this year's event.

We also have some fun things in the works for that weekend. Details are still in the works but looks like a notable name in the industry will be coming out to put on a clinic and then race the next day. Possibly a SUP surf clinic by another notable name and then a SUP yoga demo/clinic on the day of the race by our new SUP yoga instructor. If you're anywhere near Providence on Labor Day weekend this year, please come by and either participate or simply stop in, say hi and enjoy the day with us.

www.providencepaddlebattle.com

kayadogg

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2016, 11:33:38 AM »
We're almost a week away from our event. I have a 1st place paddle trophy from the 2014 BOP and it's hanging in my office so I look at it often. I thought it would be cool to bring this type of award to our event so this year we're giving out paddles for 1st, 2nd and 3rd. All handmade, by yours truly. We're only awarding 42 spots but man it's time-consuming for one person to make these. Hope to see some Zoners and friends & family of Zoners out there. Short course is perfect for anyone just looking for a nice casual paddle and friendly competition. The long course will still be friendly but not very casual, looking to be right around the 10 mile mark again, the last 4 miles or so into an incoming tide.

And if you're not racing, there will be food, drinks, plenty of deck space overlooking Providence and the river!

You can register here:  www.providencepaddlebattle.com

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2016, 08:46:58 PM »
Any chance of turning it into a DWer given the forecast?...... :). I would have registered but I'm kind of "day of" on planning these days.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

kayadogg

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2016, 09:47:50 PM »
Unfortunately not. We met with the Coast Guard today to review our action and contingency plan. Given all of the recent SUP deaths, they're tightening their requirements a lot. It's not looking great but hopefully it's a game-time decision early Sunday morning. Even if the rain holds off, the Coast Guard will not let us run it if the sustained wind is greater than 13 knots. At this point the forecast is a 20-30mph NE wind which would actually line up perfectly from the northern turn buoy in Pawtucket to the finish in East Providence. That's only about 4 miles though and the Coast Guard wouldn't let that fly as our backup plan, haha.

If we can't run it Sunday, we're aiming to reschedule for either September 25 or late Oct/early November. Then my only hurdle is hoping for good weather next weekend as I make the plunge and walk down the aisle. So much for thinking it wouldn't be that bad planning two big events on back to back weekends  :o

kayadogg

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2016, 12:18:31 PM »
Unfortunately we have to postpone the Providence Paddle Battle. It will be rescheduled for either 9/25 or one of the last weekends in October. More info here for anyone that was planning on coming: www.paddleboardri.com/ppb

Still some spots left in Anthony Vela's clinic which is happening tomorrow at 2PM in Rhode Island. He's en route to my house right now. which means it is a GO and should be a great time. http://bit.ly/AVCLINIC if you want to register.

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2016, 04:54:27 PM »
Sorry to hear about the postponement but selfishly it means I might be able to make it. Wish I could've joined you today but I'm nursing headache Hermine.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

WhatsSUP

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2016, 04:55:14 AM »
Hi Kaya:  Any info on this event?  If all hopes are dashed for this year will payment be refunded?  Very well may have been something and I missed(?) 

Thanks!  And congrats on your wedding....I heard it was a really good time! 

See ya on the water

Best.
Sunova Creek 9'4" 
TAVA 11'2"
NSP Element 11'
KeNalu Wiki paddle
Kialoa Insanity paddle
Misc other paddles

kayadogg

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2016, 12:41:18 PM »
Hey WhatsSUP,

We are ON for Sunday, November 6th. We struggled with finding a good date to reschedule the event for and didn't want to just cancel and not hold it, even if it meant a race late in the season. The feedback we've received from a lot of paddlers has been very positive and people are looking forward to a race this time of year since the SUP race scene in New England basically hits a brick wall around mid September. We know it's a bit of a risk with weather this time of year but as of right now, it's looking like upper 50's (air), lots of sun and light wind. In my opinion that's perfect race weather.

I hope you can make it. If not, send me a message and I'll be happy to refund you. Thanks for the congrats on the wedding. It was a blast and I'm finally back to "reality" after being in Maui and SoCal for the past month. Ugh.

Cool aerial shot of where the race will start & finish (East Providence Yacht Club). If anyone else is interested, details and registration can be found at: http://www.providencepaddlebattle.com. Hope to see some Zoners there.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal