Author Topic: Throw back to January 2007  (Read 4775 times)

southwesterly

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Throw back to January 2007
« on: February 07, 2016, 06:39:43 PM »
My girlfriend Marina bought one of the first Surftech production 12'1" Laird's. Living in Bodega Bay, she had the board but nowhere to buy a paddle. Before I ordered one from Wardog for her, she jury rigged a bamboo pole and a smash-ball paddle. She did a pretty good job and it lasted until the new paddle arrived.

I rode the Laird for my first time a few months later and declared the entire sport as lame. Another half year later in 2008, I finally had my "ah-ha" moment and bought an 11'11" Angulo.

Really makes you realize just how young this sport really is.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2016, 06:42:06 PM by southwesterly »

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
Re: Throw back to January 2007
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2016, 08:25:02 PM »
Sweet paddle. I need to find a picture of the one I made from an aluminum pool skimmer and some plywood... 8)
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

FeralInBaja

• What?
  • Rincon Status
  • Beginner's mind... works for me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2016, 11:34:15 PM »
Yeah!!! Where I circled in red was where I hacked the steel leg off of my wife's ironing board and shimmed the broken kayak paddle. The new (now broken) Blue Planet paddle is on the far left. If you could undo all the electrical tape on the T-Handle, you would find a broken toothbrush shaft wrapped in a cut-out seat belt from a car. Some clear packing tape thrown in for status... Jajaja! I'm headed out to Tijuana tomorrow for fibra de carbono y resinas to fix the broken Blue Planet nectar paddle. Wish me luck!
Feral
8' 4" S3 Simsup 134 ltr.
6' 10" 88 ltr. Solid Surf Quad

Blue Planet Surf
FeatherLight Carbon Paddle!
Gifted from Rob- Eternal Aloha to you Rob.
Isle Pro Carbon Paddle
Surfercook Special ThankYou!!!

CamOne Infinity and GoPro (Sadly destroyed in Big Beachbreak)
Thank you Wetstuff and NoSaltSuper

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2016, 07:26:01 AM »
Cool to see.  The Zone started in July of 2007.  I remember when we got started there were only a few production options available.  That enormous Laird, A Jimmy Lewis Round bottom 11'7 and the Ordonez Big Red.  I picked up an 11' by 30 Jimmy Lewis as soon as the container landed.  Chan got a Munoz tandem soft-top and waited on the SOS big blue which was (about to be) the smallest production board available at a radical 10'10.   

Hah!

SlatchJim

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2016, 08:40:57 AM »
This is a woman that you could survive a "Cast-away" scenario with.

southwesterly

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2016, 09:16:47 AM »
She even had her board signed by Laird.

Had a blast on that board a few months ago in tiny waves and I forgot how much momentum and glide the old big boards have.

SUP Sports ®

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Stoked For Life ®
    • View Profile
    • SUP Sports ®
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2016, 12:21:49 PM »
Those were the good 'ol halcyon days...;-)

We sold a sh*tpot of those Sawyer paddles after damaging ourselves with the Pohaku (C4) carbons...nice flex...until they didn't flex...;-)

Inspired by King Laird after his American flag sesh at Malibu, I cut down the kayak paddle we were using with the Exocet Commando...2003…9’10″ x 36″…it had a fin in the back and middle of the board, that you could put in or pull out from the deck of the board…and, it was sailable...RTM filled with foam and oh so heavy...good thing it had an integrated wheel in the tail...;-)

My DIY paddles made from broken carbon fiber windsurf masts all broke...mostly the hand made blades...but, that aluminum kayak paddle held up for some reason...still around here somewhere...I think someone at the shop started using it as a dog poop shovel...;-)
Mahalos...{:~)

WARDOG ®
Owner/CEO  StandUp Paddle Sports®  &   SurfingSports®.com, Inc.

(805)962-SUPS (7877) store
(888)805-9978 toll free

Retail Store:
Standup Paddle Sports, LLC
121 Santa Barbara St.
Santa Barbara, CA 93101

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2016, 05:24:58 PM »
SOS: Sean Ordonez was ahead of the times.  Is he still shaping SUPs?

SUP Sports ®

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Stoked For Life ®
    • View Profile
    • SUP Sports ®
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2016, 06:26:44 PM »
SOS: Sean Ordonez was ahead of the times.  Is he still shaping SUPs?

Sean will shape ANY kind of board (surf, kite, sail, SUP, tow...etc) if you'll pay for it...;-)

His Peahi guns have become go to shapes for some of the hardest charging paddle in surfers on the planet...

In fact, Sean shaped the board that Kai Lenny dropped into on that epic Mav's wave a couple of days ago...
Albee Layer (invitee) will be riding a SOS gun at the Eddie...

I learned quite a bit from Sean when he stayed with us here in Santa Barbara back at the start of the modern standup revolution and we collaborated on a number of SUP boards...I started working with Sean on wave sailing boards before that...

Those blue boards in the pics were from a couple of the last Clark Foam tandem blanks left in da islands...
I still have a number of killer SOS boards...a carbon 13'er with Curly Koa in the rafters of our shop...the original prototype "Big Red"...the first 14'er on the mainland...the original production "Big Red" with mast track...a 6'10" SOS short board...etc...
Mahalos...{:~)

WARDOG ®
Owner/CEO  StandUp Paddle Sports®  &   SurfingSports®.com, Inc.

(805)962-SUPS (7877) store
(888)805-9978 toll free

Retail Store:
Standup Paddle Sports, LLC
121 Santa Barbara St.
Santa Barbara, CA 93101

surfKnobby

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2016, 07:07:09 AM »
The first time I tried stand up I used a cut down No Limitz windsurfing mast with a plastic kayak blade glued to it. Plus I did the classic first timer method of having it backwards. Still managed to catch a couple waves with it.

surfercook

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Jersey Shore
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2016, 07:09:40 AM »
Cool old DIY and vintage paddles. I love surfing history! Visited "Sun Diego Board Co" in Carlsbad and was quite surprised when I walked in.

One could go into a mall in Kansas and ask a teenager "What is a surfer looking for?, and the answer will always be, "The perfect wave"
9'11" PSH Hull Ripper-145 ltr    
9'3" PSH  Hull Ripper- 130ltr 
8'0" Corevac Assassin -127 ltr   
Paddles- Carbonerro PRO SERIES 85 & Riviera Camo at 70"

mrbig

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2016, 07:35:31 AM »
 I must say I don't miss my Dolsey 12' 34" wide billion pound BeAsT. Or the three piece paddle that I paddled backwards with till I watched a CD. Never caught a wave on dat buggah!
Let it come to you..
SMIK 9'2" Hipster Mini Mal
SMIK 8'8" Short Mac Freo Rainbow Bridge
SMIK 8'4" Hipster Twin
King's 8'2" Accelerator SharkBoy

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal