Author Topic: Diy sup foil  (Read 215625 times)

yugi

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Diy sup foil
« Reply #240 on: March 03, 2017, 01:21:57 AM »
 I'm using masts no longer than 18" and some down to 8" where it's more like Ground Effect Vehicle (GEV) skimming with the board rails coming into action on cutbacks and bottom turns.

cool!

SURFFOILS

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #241 on: March 03, 2017, 01:44:17 AM »
Thanks for you comment Yugi !
 There's no ( or little) difference if you're 30" or 20" or 10" or 5" off the water. As long as the board is clear, you're foiling at full speed. And the further the vertical distance between foil and board only increases the 'drag balance' between the two. And a shorter mast or struts allow you to surf at any beach/ point/reef wave like regular surfers.
A shorter mast is also safer, which is a big deal. I've never been hit by any of my foils in gee... 13 years of foiling prone and shortboard, but it's because they're 1/2 the length of other foils.
 But after a while I started blurring the lines between foiling and surfing and with the shorter struts there's less dynamic forces so you can replace all that glassed carbon with other materials to make a much quicker and cheaper foil setup.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2017, 01:46:38 AM by SURFFOILS »

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: March 03, 2017, 02:33:25 AM »
And now you see why I was thrilled to have surffoils join us here. His experience and fresh approach blew me away on sways.

The reduced mast length, and therefore reduced pressure and structural strength needed are key I think to rapid innovation.

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #243 on: March 03, 2017, 03:17:24 AM »
Surfoils. do you have any high res images of your current builds?  Post 'em up. 

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: March 03, 2017, 03:33:09 AM »
Yes. This just got VERY interesting.

SURFFOILS

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #245 on: March 03, 2017, 12:54:49 PM »
@Surfcowboy, I did a great online apprenticeship at Swaylocks with so many masters of surfboard design and construction there.
So many tinkerers, tradesmen, experts and innovators on the one forum.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2017, 12:56:48 PM by SURFFOILS »

SURFFOILS

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #246 on: March 03, 2017, 03:35:36 PM »
@Admin, Ive sent you a PM all about the photos.

SURFFOILS

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #247 on: March 05, 2017, 03:47:06 AM »
C'mon guys, I know you've got questions.

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #248 on: March 05, 2017, 04:02:48 AM »
C'mon guys, I know you've got questions.

There has been some good discussion here about single foils and shorter masts.  You can search some of the old foil posts to read some of the suggestions and concerns.  I am stoked that you are working on those.  I get your reluctance to post photos but without them it isn't possible for us to engage your ideas.  The only way to stay ahead is by constantly innovating, not protecting.  It sounds like you have some great ideas but they will never be attributed to you if you don't share them. 
« Last Edit: March 05, 2017, 04:04:45 AM by Admin »

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: March 05, 2017, 08:47:29 AM »
Surffoils, I'd bet several of us would willing to help discuss writing up docs if you want to publish a little e-book or something. But I understand if you are thinking of commercializing something.

I think there are a lot of ways to get paid, including selling plans, a book, or even kits. I'd like to build my own and I think paying for the info is fair or even selling 3D CNC files so they can be cut out of plywood or whatever. I did this in my own business and now companies pay me to consult on their products.

I'm betting there are some brands who would pay you (and U.K.) to help them make a product out of this. Admin is right, but you also don't have to just give everything away. I think a crowd sourced book could get you started and establish your ideas as your own.

I'd be willing to help write it just to move the art/craft along and I'll bet there's enough talent here on the zone to get you started.

Same to you Charlie, if you need help packaging or documenting stuff, let me know. You guys did a lot of hard work and I'd love to contributor you two getting rewarded a bit.

You have basically written a book over the years, it's really just collecting it and putting it into a format.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2017, 08:52:46 AM by surfcowboy »

SURFFOILS

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #250 on: March 05, 2017, 05:23:42 PM »

Thanks for the offer Surfcowboy, I think there's a lot of design to come by having a discussion here, everyone interprets things differently and that's going to good to hear. Maybe we need a new thread on Hydrofoil Design ?

If you had to build a stable design for anything that was all about going forward, but lift wasn't an issue, what would be its longest axis ?

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: March 05, 2017, 07:10:05 PM »
Man , I'm really a fan of the longer foils myself, but I need to build a bodyboard and get to work.

I think the current foils show about 2 to 2.5 feet, 24 to 30 inches (oh man, are we gonna have to standardize on the metric system here? ;) but Pono and a few of us discussed the geezer foil idea of splitting out the foils over a long down wind board just to make things super easy but obviously that won't work on a wave.

But I do think people are over compensating with the front/rear axis. If you actually look at surfboards on a wave there's not really that much in the water. Skimboard guys have even less so I can see how maybe 18" could work if you were a good rider. If you check the current GoFoil systems on really long boards, you gain some stability just from the pressure of the water moving over the foil. I assume this is the same effect as a low volume Sup with rails under water gaining side to side stability. Add the movement and I'm betting the lift stabilizes the fore/aft even more allowing even less length.

Time to hack up a foamie and start cutting plywood shorter and shorter. ;)

SURFFOILS

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #252 on: March 05, 2017, 07:13:57 PM »
Surfcowboy, you've got some ideas there that I've been doing, the split foils works really well on waves and they're adjustable. I'll have to stick with the other thread for Foil stuff.

supuk

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: March 17, 2017, 02:44:36 AM »
Slowly making progress! been doing a lot of messing about with the cnc and had a few problems with it along the way with it but we finally got the first of the proper moulds cut today. I have decided to have two mast options a short mast at 450mm and a long mast at 640mm. There is a deep tuttle for the board side and a standard tuttle for the foil end.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: March 18, 2017, 01:07:23 AM »
Congratulations man, that's solid.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal