Author Topic: Diy sup foil  (Read 215602 times)

container

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Diy sup foil
« Reply #210 on: January 31, 2017, 12:49:59 AM »
well its not a sup, and it was behind a boat, but she will fly at 3kts(!) with 75 odd kg onboard! now we just need 30kts to try it out on the sup.

supuk

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: January 31, 2017, 10:01:44 PM »
cool that's great, just started hand shaping a new front wing to experiment with. Did yours work out nice and stiff?

container

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #212 on: February 01, 2017, 07:01:00 AM »
yup its mint, no flex in this puppy. super thick is the way to go the lift this thing produces is unreal although 10kts is about as fast as you can go before you really notice the trailing edge separation. heres a couple of vids first one is after about half an hour of riding it and second one is my 85kg brother taking off at 3kts the next day. I weigh less  (75)and was getting up even slower but unfortunately no one got it on film

clay

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • www.clayisland.com
    • Email
« Reply #213 on: February 01, 2017, 12:05:21 PM »
Very cool!  I really appreciate seeing the pole cam underview of the board, that's a fresh look and I enjoyed watching.
Aloha, I welcome and appreciate all responses of positivity and good feeling.

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOIE6FWr1SpWvbPJIIiEgog

supuk

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: February 01, 2017, 02:20:20 PM »
great stuff what angle have you used between front and rear foils?

container

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #215 on: February 01, 2017, 06:45:36 PM »
I don't have the foil with me but at a guess the main foil would be over 5 but less than 10 degrees, and the stabilizer about 7 at the root washing out to about 2 or even 0 degrees at the tips. There is a lot of room for improving here so I am making a new adjustable stabilizer with more area and a nicer section shape

supuk

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: February 11, 2017, 12:26:08 AM »
finally got the cad work done and started cutting the first mdf mould for the mast.

container

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #217 on: February 13, 2017, 12:28:10 PM »
Looking good! Man that machine would make life easy. Do you set stainless into the Tuttle box for tapping into or just straight into the carbon?

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: February 13, 2017, 02:46:51 PM »
heres a couple of vids first one is after about half an hour of riding it and second one is my 85kg brother taking off at 3kts the next day. I weigh less  (75)and was getting up even slower but unfortunately no one got it on film

How much pull is on the rope?  The strain on the rope should be directly proportional to the Life/Drag of the foil.

For example a Lift/Drag ratio of 10:1 would be a relatively low performance Airfoil. This would suggest 85 KG of lift producing 8.5KG of drag or 18.5 lbs of pull on the rope.

Given that 'you' appeared to be using 1 hand this would seem accurate.  (excluding form drag which might still be low at 3 - 8 knots). 

supuk

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: February 13, 2017, 08:47:39 PM »
Looking good! Man that machine would make life easy. Do you set stainless into the Tuttle box for tapping into or just straight into the carbon?

The moulds will make life easier but getting to that stage is a lot of work. Having a few problems with the machine giving us fault codes at the moment so having to sort that out before carrying on.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: February 13, 2017, 09:41:47 PM »
UK, man I love that you got the CAD done.

Can't wait to see the mold finishing for this one, I've never been around much molding.

blackeye

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: February 14, 2017, 07:33:26 AM »
The moulds will make life easier but getting to that stage is a lot of work. Having a few problems with the machine giving us fault codes at the moment so having to sort that out before carrying on.

Out of curiosity, what is it that is a lot of work? ie what is your process? Is it the 3D design or is there something else between the drawing and running it on the mill?

I've fooled around with Sketchup and a local lasercutter shop said they could translate that into something the mill could take orders from, but I have no clue.

container

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #222 on: February 14, 2017, 09:28:17 AM »

How much pull is on the rope?  The strain on the rope should be directly proportional to the Life/Drag of the foil.

For example a Lift/Drag ratio of 10:1 would be a relatively low performance Airfoil. This would suggest 85 KG of lift producing 8.5KG of drag or 18.5 lbs of pull on the rope.

Given that 'you' appeared to be using 1 hand this would seem accurate.  (excluding form drag which might still be low at 3 - 8 knots).

I'd say more like 10-12kg+ with the new foil, mainly cause it is horrendously unfair on the underside and has a leading edge like a golf ball... i like to structurally test things before getting carried away with finishing  ;) the old thin foil at around 8mm thick had next to no drag on the rope once you got up at maybe 7-8kts, the tow line was slack most of the time even behind a 10ft dinghy with no wake to speak of.
in light of petrol prices here in NZ we are now conducting tests under sail, much better with no prop wash

supuk

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: February 14, 2017, 07:08:54 PM »

Out of curiosity, what is it that is a lot of work? ie what is your process? Is it the 3D design or is there something else between the drawing and running it on the mill?

I've fooled around with Sketchup and a local lasercutter shop said they could translate that into something the mill could take orders from, but I have no clue.

Doing the cad has taken a bit as I'm quite new to it, then machining doesn't always go to plan and it takes over 5 hours to cut just the mast, then there is a fare bit of time involvedvin prepareing the mould then machining cores and then laying up bagging and cooking.

supuk

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: February 20, 2017, 02:15:17 PM »
Been away in nz for a week but back now and we think we have the problem with the CNC sorted and we managed to get it to Finnish the one side last night with a pritty good Finnish. Just got a few little bugs to work out and then probably do one more test cut and maybe then try anoutger material for the final mould that will need less work to Finnish.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal