Author Topic: Diy sup foil  (Read 215687 times)

SUP Sports ®

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Stoked For Life ®
    • View Profile
    • SUP Sports ®
    • Email
Re: Diy sup foil
« Reply #150 on: June 26, 2016, 10:25:33 AM »
Many thanks in not going to take much credit until it's functioning well. I don't think it's hard to build a foil that does the basics but is quite tricky to get it to work well especially when I have no experiace of foiling to go by.

I have had a bit of a hack around with it today so will see what the changes have done. Anoyingly I don't think there is going to be any sort or swell before I go to try it. I'm allso hatching a plan for two other completely different set up now however they will have to wait till I'm back from Florida

Good job, Charlie...
Here's another guy that builds his first foil...kinda makes it look easy...also, builds a kite foil board...then takes it out and flys it...trial and error...no calculators...;-)

My buddy is going to modify one of his carbon kite foils for me...change mast angle and length...bigger wings...deep Tuttle base...etc..."bleeding edge" takes on a whole new meaning...;-)

Mahalos...{:~)

WARDOG ®
Owner/CEO  StandUp Paddle Sports®  &   SurfingSports®.com, Inc.

(805)962-SUPS (7877) store
(888)805-9978 toll free

Retail Store:
Standup Paddle Sports, LLC
121 Santa Barbara St.
Santa Barbara, CA 93101

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: June 26, 2016, 10:37:18 AM »
Okay, that convinced me, straight to carbon for the Geezer foil. Guy has major league skills though. He might not glass like Storm, but he's a lot better than me. All the same--Imua.

I've ordered the divynicell I need to do it right. Kind of wish I'd held off on pulling that trigger. Plywood might be a better bet. Maybe I'll hold the three hundred bucks worth of friggin' foam in reserve and do #1 in plywood and carbon.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

SUP Sports ®

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Stoked For Life ®
    • View Profile
    • SUP Sports ®
    • Email
« Reply #152 on: June 26, 2016, 11:05:55 AM »
Yup...good call...plywood and carbon...
A local buddy of mine builds kite foils that way...CNC's the wood foil shapes...

There's a few guys who have cobbled foils together that are outlasting off the shelf foils...;-)

This one was pretty cool...

http://kiter.com.au/Forums/Kitesurfing/General/DIY-hydrofoil-with-rubbish-and-an-angle-grinder?page=1

WARDOG ®

(888)805-9978 toll free

Retail Store:
121 Santa Barbara St.
Santa Barbara, CA 93101

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: June 26, 2016, 12:17:55 PM »
That's hilarious. I've been eyeing my Big Kahuna skateboard as a possible donor. My wife would love it if that were gone. Especially after I mounted the offroad trucks/wheels and the mast base on the nose. She refuses to be around whenever I use it.

I love the tail wing. Just what I was thinking of doing, though I have a couple of windsurfing fins set aside that will need some camber mods to work. Too bad none of the big fins I know of are single sided. I probably should stop being such a pussy and just shape some. I watched Kenny tilton do it beautifully by hand with an angle grinder. All I need is fifty years of experience.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

supuk

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: June 26, 2016, 04:09:45 PM »
A good birch ply is defiantly the best material for prototypes you need very little carbon or glass to get something useable.

blackeye

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: June 28, 2016, 11:26:40 PM »
I would think that home laminated cedar would be the best choice for a wing core - light, strong, easily shaped, good with moisture.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: June 29, 2016, 01:58:05 AM »
That cedar sounds promising. A 2X6 would let you cut out the a herald out as well and still keep it about a 1/2" thick overall.

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: June 29, 2016, 05:10:37 AM »
This one was pretty cool...

http://kiter.com.au/Forums/Kitesurfing/General/DIY-hydrofoil-with-rubbish-and-an-angle-grinder?page=1

Interesting comment to reverse the camber on the rear foil.  Downforce?  I couldn't immediately find reference links on the forum.

"I paid attention to put the flat surface of the fins facing upward - to create some lift downward as they say on http://kitefoil.forumactif.org/."

SUP Sports ®

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Stoked For Life ®
    • View Profile
    • SUP Sports ®
    • Email
« Reply #158 on: July 01, 2016, 04:51:12 PM »
We absolutely nailed the fitment of the foil on my new carbon Hammer foil board...pretty close tolerance...it ain't rocket science...but, it's kinda sorta freakin' close...;-)

Not many of these have been built in North America...

After a little paint and some detail work...it will be ready for liftoff...ground control to Major Tom...;-)

WARDOG ®

(888)805-9978 toll free

Retail Store:
121 Santa Barbara St.
Santa Barbara, CA 93101

SUP Sports ®

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Stoked For Life ®
    • View Profile
    • SUP Sports ®
    • Email
« Reply #159 on: July 01, 2016, 08:26:01 PM »
Here's the bottom of my new carbon Hammer foil board in brushed seafoam before the seal coat...gonna be hard to sleep while dreaming of flying this puppy...;-)

WARDOG ®

(888)805-9978 toll free

Retail Store:
121 Santa Barbara St.
Santa Barbara, CA 93101

supuk

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: July 01, 2016, 11:07:39 PM »
Was back out yesterday having a little play with the changes I had made. Got a few nice long and low glides

peterwSUPr

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #161 on: July 02, 2016, 06:03:49 AM »
Looks awesome, are you riding that downwind, or are you on a swell?  I'm also curious what you did about the stabilizer angle.

My foil (for kiting) is finished enough to ride, but needs some prettying up.  I mounted it to an old Bic Astro Rock I got from my dad, I think it's about 120L.  But I put it forward, for towing behind a boat.  I can start standing and gradually build up speed.  Other than a big crash I took from high up where I landed on the foil and severely bruise my thigh partially crippling myself, I'd say it went well.  I kept doing it but by the time I came ashore I could barely walk!  I had not paid attention to the rear stabilizer angle though, and it was essentially at 0 degrees.  I just re-watched that video I posted on the previous page and think I need about 3 degrees of angle at the rear as a start.  Hopefully I can fix that, heal up and wrap my self in bubble wrap and have another go in a couple days!

Peter

supuk

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: July 02, 2016, 08:37:06 AM »
It was kinda 50 50 it was in the harbour in about 20-25knots the waves would have been un-rideable on a surf board catching the way out back. Once you gain a little speed and it starts to unweight you get a huge amount of extra speed and glide.

I have the hole setup rocked forward 2-3deg then the second time I went out I gave the tail 1deg + which helped, I went back to zero after the changes and you can tell it needs that positive angle so will maybe try 2deg next time

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: July 02, 2016, 09:13:24 AM »
Oh man, I may have to think about a Tuttle in my next board just in case. That looks so fun man.

SUP Sports ®

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Stoked For Life ®
    • View Profile
    • SUP Sports ®
    • Email
« Reply #164 on: July 02, 2016, 04:25:59 PM »
Deck side done...apply pad & grab handles...ready for liftoff...;-)

WARDOG ®

(888)805-9978 toll free

Retail Store:
121 Santa Barbara St.
Santa Barbara, CA 93101

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal