Author Topic: Diy sup foil  (Read 215634 times)

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Diy sup foil
« Reply #135 on: May 20, 2016, 07:01:21 PM »
Just took my wife back through this thread and it reminded me to mention how amazing this is, Charlie.

You've made a really complex hydrodynamic device here, from scratch, out of some pics off the net and your brain. Seriously, I hope everyone on here take a minute to appreciate your skills and the fact that you share them here with us.

In a more low tech note, I'm about to start glassing an old long board that I salvaged for a friend. It was his first really good board and I stripped it and have spent weeks on and off spackling and filling it and I've gotten it into decent shape. Notes for those who might do this. Use a router to cut the glass on the rails into strips so you don't pull off much foam.

Second note, never do this. Blanks are cheap. LOL.

We're doing black poly resin and I'm testing some layups this weekend. I'll keep you posted on it.

supuk

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: May 21, 2016, 01:21:28 PM »
Many thanks in not going to take much credit until it's functioning well. I don't think it's hard to build a foil that does the basics but is quite tricky to get it to work well especially when I have no experiace of foiling to go by.

I have had a bit of a hack around with it today so will see what the changes have done. Anoyingly I don't think there is going to be any sort or swell before I go to try it. I'm allso hatching a plan for two other completely different set up now however they will have to wait till I'm back from Florida

peterwSUPr

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #137 on: May 21, 2016, 07:42:54 PM »
It's cool to see how this is progressing.

Here's something just slightly off topic (sorry!).  Speaking of foils, I asked this on the kiteforum and have not got an answer.  Does anyone know much about windsurf foils (DW)?  I don't have much use for a SUP foil unless they work in flat water, but I'm hoping to used the foil I'm building for kiting and windsurfing, since we have a number of days when the kite launching and getting back to shore is a bit of an issue, and windsurfing is less of a problem that way. 

I'm wondering about the lateral loads on the mount to the board on a windfoil.  I had planned to use a plate mount, but am wondering if I should do a tuttle mount, which is maybe not my first choice for a kiteboard.  I was hoping to keep the carbon foil fairly light, but wonder if it needs a tougher mast/strut to take the windsurfing loads.  Even if the old board I'm going to use is less wide and if the straps are not out near the rails, I would assume the typical lateral fin loading when applied with so much more of a moment arm would make for much high stresses on a windfoil.  Does that make sense?

Or, does anyone know of a differnt online source for good info on windfoils??

Thanks,
Peter

supuk

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: May 21, 2016, 11:51:51 PM »
you are defiantly going to have a lot more side loading windsurfing, i would maybe think about using a 12mm birch ply as a core and then a lot of carbon over that booth uni and 45deg biax, that will be how i do my next one i think or make a mould and lay them up proper.

peterwSUPr

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #139 on: May 25, 2016, 03:06:15 PM »
Getting back to a previous discussion on this thread, here is something i saw on kiteforum about the angle of the rear wing.  Might be useful and is not quite what I was told.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTCyag5N_vE

Peter

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: May 25, 2016, 08:43:13 PM »
Dig these foils. Could something like this design work in SUP or do you think you'd need more surface area?

https://quadrofoil.com either way, cool vehicle.

Kaihoe

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: June 15, 2016, 06:39:57 PM »
Dig these foils. Could something like this design work in SUP or do you think you'd need more surface area?

https://quadrofoil.com either way, cool vehicle.

I can see a lot of benefits in this style of foil. It should be a lot more stable for those of use without super freaky balance. Also should be a lot safer during wipeouts.... 

Not sure how you would turn with them though

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: June 16, 2016, 07:04:38 AM »
https://youtu.be/ooAAnZIgj8o

That's what I have in mind for a front foil--only much thinner, don't have to lift that much weight. For the back foil I plan to use a T foil on a rudder, probably foot-operated unless I get my ass in gear and do a radio rudder. It could be steered by leaning. Note the flaps on the rear foils. Those are almost certainly steering. Tilting the board against the foils could operate flaps through a relatively simple linkage, but I don't plan to do that. I think rudder steering will be adequate.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

SUP Sports ®

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Stoked For Life ®
    • View Profile
    • SUP Sports ®
    • Email
« Reply #143 on: June 16, 2016, 09:54:44 AM »
It's cool to see how this is progressing.

Here's something just slightly off topic (sorry!).  Speaking of foils, I asked this on the kiteforum and have not got an answer.  Does anyone know much about windsurf foils (DW)?  I don't have much use for a SUP foil unless they work in flat water, but I'm hoping to used the foil I'm building for kiting and windsurfing, since we have a number of days when the kite launching and getting back to shore is a bit of an issue, and windsurfing is less of a problem that way. 

I'm wondering about the lateral loads on the mount to the board on a windfoil.  I had planned to use a plate mount, but am wondering if I should do a tuttle mount, which is maybe not my first choice for a kiteboard.  I was hoping to keep the carbon foil fairly light, but wonder if it needs a tougher mast/strut to take the windsurfing loads.  Even if the old board I'm going to use is less wide and if the straps are not out near the rails, I would assume the typical lateral fin loading when applied with so much more of a moment arm would make for much high stresses on a windfoil.  Does that make sense?

Or, does anyone know of a differnt online source for good info on windfoils??

Thanks,
Peter

Aloha Peter,
I have started windfoiling...and, am also converting one of my SUP designs into a windSUP/SUP foil board...
Guys are using a 4 bolt plate attachment for kitefoiling...but, based on everything that I know and experienced, I would only use a deep Tuttle attachment for the sailboard...the loading and stresses on the board and foil is much beyond those that would come from even large high aspect fins on a sailboard...and, there are guys making and using Tuttle and some deep Tuttle attachments on kiteboards and/or converted surfboards...

Don't worry about getting into the straps until you learn to fly the foil...they are both unnecessary, and also potentially dangerous...

There is a lively discussion (64 pages long) on windfoiling/kitefoiling over at the UK Boards Mag forum...

http://forums.boards.mpora.com/showthread.php/74801-Windsurfing-on-a-hydrofoil
Mahalos...{:~)

WARDOG ®
Owner/CEO  StandUp Paddle Sports®  &   SurfingSports®.com, Inc.

(805)962-SUPS (7877) store
(888)805-9978 toll free

Retail Store:
Standup Paddle Sports, LLC
121 Santa Barbara St.
Santa Barbara, CA 93101

peterwSUPr

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #144 on: June 16, 2016, 06:30:04 PM »
That's a great link for a big discussion on foils.  The nay-sayers who know everything that's wrong with it and have never done it are classic!

So, a DEEP tuttle you say?  Not even a regular tuttle box?  That's much too deep to fit in any kiteboard I own!  I'll have to post up some pics of the foil I've made soon.  Everything but the board mount and final finishing are done, so I need to make a decision!!

Thanks,
Peter

SUP Sports ®

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Stoked For Life ®
    • View Profile
    • SUP Sports ®
    • Email
« Reply #145 on: June 16, 2016, 09:06:49 PM »
That's a great link for a big discussion on foils.  The nay-sayers who know everything that's wrong with it and have never done it are classic!

So, a DEEP tuttle you say?  Not even a regular tuttle box?  That's much too deep to fit in any kiteboard I own!  I'll have to post up some pics of the foil I've made soon.  Everything but the board mount and final finishing are done, so I need to make a decision!!

Thanks,
Peter

Aloha Peter,
Yeppers...some truly classic zingers...;-)
I had an oceanography professor once who would say..."an oceanographer who has never been to sea, is like a virgin who has never had sex...they talk about it with enthusiasm...and, ignorance"...;-)

Re: building a foil for both kitefoiling and windfoiling...I'd pick one or the other...if you come up with a design for both...it may be a compromise in mast angle...lift...installation...etc...and, might not be good for either...however, I am starting to work with a guy in Canada who has a pretty good kitefoil that I want to adapt for windfoiling, with a deep Tuttle base config...

WARDOG ®

(888)805-9978 toll free

Retail Store:
121 Santa Barbara St.
Santa Barbara, CA 93101

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: June 17, 2016, 02:10:01 AM »
Wow, we're six months into the concept and there's a One True Way.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2016, 02:16:04 AM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

peterwSUPr

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #147 on: June 17, 2016, 04:38:25 AM »
Thanks SUPsports, I think I'll stick with the plate mount, and will also mount it to a old windsurfer kicking around with a mor forward plate mount for some low speed learning behind a boat.  I'll maybe see how this goes and decide if this gets adapted to windsurfing later, when I move on to version 2.0.

That must be Terrie you're talking about??

Peter

SUP Sports ®

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Stoked For Life ®
    • View Profile
    • SUP Sports ®
    • Email
« Reply #148 on: June 17, 2016, 08:00:46 AM »
Aloha Peter,
Sounds like a plan...plate mount will work to get you off the ground...or, water as it were...sooner than later...;-)
I should mention, another thing about deep Tuttle base, is regular Tuttle foils and fins can be used also...obviously, not vice versa...

Back when I was working with Sean Ordonez on the "Big Red" and "Big Blue" prototypes...which became the first production SUPs on the planet...we routered in a G-10 plate that was threaded for accepting a mast foot...it worked well...seems a similar same technique that was thru-bolted, could be applied...you can see the threaded plates in this image...

Yes, Terrie...I also have a local guy with a CNC making non-carbon kite foils...but, I like the weights on the carbon foils...makes off-water handling with a sail rig, not that big of a thing...

WARDOG ®

(888)805-9978 toll free

Retail Store:
121 Santa Barbara St.
Santa Barbara, CA 93101

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: June 17, 2016, 05:22:33 PM »
I finished a set of calculations for a set of angled foils set near the tip of a 14' board, assuming they have to lift and carry half my weight (240#) plus half of a 30 pound board plus a fudge factor. Either I've screwed up royally or foils don't have to be very big. Good chance it's the first option, but I've checked everything a dozen times. Looks like I could take a big shortcut and build a foil with some high aspect windsurf fins sanded to give them some camber. The airfoil is not going to be optimal, but good enough for a general test. I'm going to give it a go.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2016, 05:26:41 PM by PonoBill »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal