Author Topic: Diy sup foil  (Read 216781 times)

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Diy sup foil
« Reply #120 on: May 19, 2016, 08:53:35 AM »
A bit on the foil control.

« Last Edit: May 19, 2016, 08:56:42 AM by TallDude »
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

supuk

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: May 19, 2016, 12:36:57 PM »
i was actually at a place that builds the foils for the B.A.R teams AC boat a few weeks ago and saw them laying one up along with other things and was also lucky enough to go on the hugo boss boat and get a guided tour around his boat and how it all works, i have never seen so much carbon in my life!

clay

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • www.clayisland.com
    • Email
« Reply #122 on: May 19, 2016, 12:57:02 PM »
I spent a lot time building and modifying RC planes for use as camera platforms.  I built a foam flying wing and could not get it to fly straight, I bought someone's pre-built foam wing and still had control issues.  I then tried some wood wings that were longer front to back and could get them to fly but they would quickly become unpredictable after adding some weight. After a dozen or so attempts I gave up on the single wing.  The many dozens of 2 wing planes I used always flew predictably, I overloaded them with batteries and cameras and tall antennas, and no matter how badly I Fraken-hacked them flying them was still relatively predictable and I still had decent control.
Aloha, I welcome and appreciate all responses of positivity and good feeling.

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOIE6FWr1SpWvbPJIIiEgog

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #123 on: May 19, 2016, 04:39:50 PM »
Flying straight might not be a problem with SUP.  The mast is a pretty huge (although to varying degrees) vertical stabilizer that is not present (or to a much lesser degree) in aircraft.  Maybe an even deeper boomerang shape

possibly with a hint of Albert King

...Back to your thread...
« Last Edit: May 19, 2016, 04:46:07 PM by Admin »

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: May 19, 2016, 07:36:32 PM »
UK, I would have loved to see that shop. Not often you get to see 50k (more?) of carbon laying around.

I think the sailing thing might work. If I do one, I'll go that way. Maybe a back W foil with one of the V foils near the nose? I still think the multiple attachment points with fin boxes could be good too, if we can keep them from tearing out. (Set them to the deck in heavy foam?)

More googling.

supuk

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: May 19, 2016, 11:05:50 PM »
Yea a track would be good for a center foil however the flight caracteristics I don't think will be effected to much if you are standing in the right place. I have had a little idea I may try and prototype soon.

yugi

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: May 20, 2016, 12:36:58 AM »
I was SUPing around the Class C cats at the Worlds last year. The top guys all have foils a la AC, and was thinking exactly that.

The windsurf and kite single mast has the advantage that the rider easily (well, pretty technical actually) adjust foil angles without mechanical devices.

How about AC foils mid-ship (should I say mid-SUP?) then a rear foil which is self adjusted via one of those Moth-like prow wands that totally detect the exact ride the bow has above the water? It may backfire for nosebleed drops in DWs or it may just be the bee’s knees.

supuk

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: May 20, 2016, 02:05:41 AM »
Flying straight might not be a problem with SUP.  The mast is a pretty huge (although to varying degrees) vertical stabilizer that is not present (or to a much lesser degree) in aircraft.  Maybe an even deeper boomerang shape

possibly with a hint of Albert King

...Back to your thread...

Your right adding sweep to a flying wing does add stability however at the penalty of more drag. Having the mast acting as like the fin of a airplane is all dependant on we're it is positioned relative to the center of lift the further back the more effective it is like a fin on a board unfortunately when they are very near the center of lift like on a flying wing they have to be large to be effective. It's kind of the the hole twin fin v quad, a quad is just like a twin fin but split in to but in doing that they become more effective

supuk

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: May 20, 2016, 02:13:55 AM »
I was SUPing around the Class C cats at the Worlds last year. The top guys all have foils a la AC, and was thinking exactly that.

The windsurf and kite single mast has the advantage that the rider easily (well, pretty technical actually) adjust foil angles without mechanical devices.

How about AC foils mid-ship (should I say mid-SUP?) then a rear foil which is self adjusted via one of those Moth-like prow wands that totally detect the exact ride the bow has above the water? It may backfire for nosebleed drops in DWs or it may just be the bee’s knees.

There is no reason I can see  a two or three point setup should react any different to the same weight shifting that is used to trim currently on a single mast set up. The trim want would be interesting however I think that probably only works if you have the secondary control like the moth uses on the rudder to change altitude.

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #129 on: May 20, 2016, 06:31:04 AM »
I thought increasing sweep reduced drag. 

How long is your foil from leading edge front to trailing edge back?  What is the wingspan?

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: May 20, 2016, 06:47:53 AM »
What is the lift coefficient? ;D

Chilly

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #131 on: May 20, 2016, 07:41:32 AM »
Crash helmet not included. 

NSP 2016 12'6 Surf Race Pro

supuk

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: May 20, 2016, 07:57:23 AM »
It's now about a 30" span and 5" cord on the front wing after its little modification that it's just gone through. I have reduced the area right down and added some dihedral to see if that helps with stability. I have allso been working on a new fuz to test the kite fouls I have. Yet to start on the new 3point design I have brainstormed.

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #133 on: May 20, 2016, 09:08:04 AM »
I better start keeping an eye on my 90" long paddle. These foil sup guys are going to be wanting it. I can actually heat the handle and extend it to about 94".
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

supuk

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: May 20, 2016, 09:48:59 AM »
you don't really need a longer paddle or at least much, once you are up high you don't need to paddle. i have been using my race paddle and it actually works quite well as once you start to rise a little and want to keep the power going your paddle shortens so is like choking down. The one advantage of a long paddle would be the extra stability it would provide when up high.

* Recent Posts

post Re: Sunova Faast Pro Allwater 14x27
[Classifieds]
gcs
Today at 01:22:14 PM
post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 16, 2024, 12:40:25 AM
post SIC Raptor Foil and Board For Sale
[Classifieds]
addapost
April 15, 2024, 04:25:26 PM
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 15, 2024, 02:40:38 PM
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal