Author Topic: Diy sup foil  (Read 216832 times)

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Diy sup foil
« Reply #105 on: May 18, 2016, 09:46:04 AM »
I looked at the North kiteboard foil when I was researching foils. It does seem safer in more ways than one.
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

supuk

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: May 18, 2016, 03:44:36 PM »
yea i was waring a helmet and impact vest today and i think that is a bare minimum for learning. The north one looks a lot safer just hope if you did fall on it it wouldn't brake it straight away. I think in time dw foils will evolve in to something quite different. It would be great to have a go on one that is a bit more refined so i know what I'm trying to achieve as at the moment i don't know how much is me and how much is the ghetto foil.

i changed the angles of the foil relative to the board as well as the incidence between the front and rear which seamed to help and i may go a little further still.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2016, 03:46:07 PM by supuk »

JP4

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #107 on: May 18, 2016, 04:10:31 PM »
I ran into Tony Logosz down at the Event Site today as he was rigging up his foil windsurfer. He said he has a foil SUP that he's been experimenting with downwind here in the Gorge. His thought was that it might be a tough go foiling downwind in the Gorge since the swell is much smaller than the ocean, not to mention the weeds. It will be interesting to see how all this develops.
JP

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: May 18, 2016, 11:50:40 PM »
Surffoils over on Sways uses the runner style. I was thinking that that, being lower too, might be good for an experiment. You could also probably mount it with 4 pro box boxes. You'd need a forward canard wing probably but I think it's an idea worth pursuing.

Ok, which of us is gonna start a prototype over here?

supuk

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: May 19, 2016, 12:27:59 AM »
yes it makes a lot of sense after you start learning or should i say crashing . I wondering if putting some dihedral into the wings will help give a bit of stability, i think for sup it should be posable unlike kiting were the board is on a rail a lot more. Im also wondering if i have to much area on the foils and it would help going a little smaller.

so much to think about with it all it would be great to have others having a play and sharing there finding, there is so many thing to try.

blueplanetsurf

• Site Sponsor
  • Teahupoo Status
  • Hawaii's SUP HQ
    • View Profile
    • Blue Planet Surf
« Reply #110 on: May 19, 2016, 12:48:06 AM »
We have been practicing foiling behind a jet ski and yes, it is very tricky and you have to learn a whole new sport and muscle memory.  Kai makes it look easy but it is very tricky.  We also had some bad crashes and broke the mast on the foil.  One thing I learned is that your weight needs to be centered right over the front wing of the foil, so it looks like you need to extend your deck pad further back so your back foot is on top of the mast when foiling.  We ordered a hover glide foil from Slingshot to practice on.  You can get 3 different mast lengths so you can slowly work your way up to a longer mast which should be less dangerous and frustrating:
http://www.slingshotsports.com/Foil

Robert Stehlik
Blue Planet Surf Shop, Honolulu
Hawaii's SUP HQ
http://www.blueplanetsurf.com

blueplanetsurf

• Site Sponsor
  • Teahupoo Status
  • Hawaii's SUP HQ
    • View Profile
    • Blue Planet Surf
« Reply #111 on: May 19, 2016, 12:50:03 AM »
This is a pretty good introduction to foils:
Robert Stehlik
Blue Planet Surf Shop, Honolulu
Hawaii's SUP HQ
http://www.blueplanetsurf.com

supuk

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: May 19, 2016, 01:21:33 AM »
cheers rob yes i should have put a longer pad on i was finding myself standing one foot on and one foot off. It would be interesting to know if the kite foils are the right sort of size for sup.

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #113 on: May 19, 2016, 06:07:26 AM »
Why two wings on all of these designs?  It seems like one longer wing with no fuselage would simplify, reduce drag and might be plenty stable.

supuk

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: May 19, 2016, 06:27:36 AM »
In aircraft terms a convential main wing and a tail stabiliser is far more efficient than what is called a flying wing.

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #115 on: May 19, 2016, 06:36:38 AM »
In aircraft terms a convential main wing and a tail stabiliser is far more efficient than what is called a flying wing.

Is that not design specific though (horizontal stabilizer, directional pilot input, long fuselage requirement)?  It seems like most low power air designs (hang gliders, parafoils, kites) and some planes (Concord, etc) opt for a single wing.  Looking at many current foil designs it appears that a lot (most?) of the drag would come from elements other than mast and a wing (were a single wing to be used).

Of all the sports that foil, we have the lowest power to work with.  No kites, sails, jetski, and relatively little gravity assist.  It seems like reducing drag is a much bigger deal for SUP foils than the other sports.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2016, 07:09:00 AM by Admin »

supuk

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: May 19, 2016, 07:08:50 AM »
Paragliders are extremely unaficient and hangliders are now using tails for stability so they can use a more efficient airfoil. To get the stability from a flying wing you have to have reflex in the foil which is unaficient in its self. One of the main things is to reduce the wetted surface area which is something a flying wing does not do well. Just take a look at the glide ratios between them all.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2016, 07:11:24 AM by supuk »

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: May 19, 2016, 07:23:14 AM »
Why two wings on all of these designs?  It seems like one longer wing with no fuselage would simplify, reduce drag and might be plenty stable.

A flying wing is the most efficient design, but they are almost impossible to control. 

Think B2 Bomber, they didn't make it to look cool.  However the older versions were called "wobbly goblin" because until modern computers were introduced they would flutter out of control.  The tail surfaces allow for stability on an otherwise unstable aerodynamic shape.  The high aspect wings on a glider are even more unstable requiring a sh-t load of computer stability or a simple long tail.

From Wikipedia:

A clean flying wing is sometimes presented as theoretically the most aerodynamically efficient (lowest drag) design configuration for a fixed wing aircraft. It also would offer high structural efficiency for a given wing depth, leading to light weight and high fuel efficiency.

Because it lacks conventional stabilizing surfaces and the associated control surfaces, in its purest form the flying wing suffers from the inherent disadvantages of being unstable and difficult to control. These compromises are difficult to reconcile, and efforts to do so can reduce or even negate the expected advantages of the flying wing design, such as reductions in weight and drag. Moreover, solutions may produce a final design that is still too unsafe for certain uses, such as commercial aviation . . . . But maybe computer control on a SUP Foil could be worth a try.

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #118 on: May 19, 2016, 07:29:29 AM »
I wonder.  It seems like in our usage the flow from wing into mast around fuselage into tail wing would create more drag.  Especially with joints and hardware for portability.  Also we have the board (which in the air examples would be the fuselage) and then a second fuselage underwater (or a second mast for a second wing).  All seem relatively draggy.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2016, 07:31:59 AM by Admin »

supuk

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: May 19, 2016, 07:51:59 AM »
like i say wetted surface area is a big factor as well. However i don't think the designs that are used for kiting will be what it stays as. it would be interesting to try something more along the line of the AC boats.

* Recent Posts

post Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
[SUP General]
Night Wing
Today at 06:29:07 AM
post Re: Sunova Faast Pro Allwater 14x27
[Classifieds]
gcs
April 18, 2024, 01:22:14 PM
post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard