Author Topic: Diy sup foil  (Read 215624 times)

peterwSUPr

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Diy sup foil
« Reply #30 on: April 05, 2016, 07:53:11 PM »
I think you can start with the rear at zero, based on my conversation with a guy who's built a few.  Is your front wing going under the fuselage?  That's the most common setup.  My foil is on hold because I might see a few in a few weeks in Hatteras and get some ideas, and my ice just went out and I won't be riding it (swimming a lot) any time soon!  Hatteras is also too shallow in many spots.  On lighter days I'll suppin the ocean side.

Peter

supuk

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 06, 2016, 08:19:47 AM »
No at the moment for ease of build i put it on top. I will start with zero then and have some shims ready.

If this works at all I will think about a mk2 and maybe make some moulds up for things like the mast and fuz to improve them a little.

I have just popped the mould for the head and just laying up a fin box, this bit is painfully slow to do and yet being so close to finishing.

supuk

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 06, 2016, 11:20:01 PM »
Just tested the mast after the extra layers and it is super stiff now in flex and torsion so realy happy and prity sure it won't be snapping any time soon!

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 06, 2016, 11:29:06 PM »
Man, you are getting close. I also love that it's all off cuts and extras. This is a pretty sweet build for a "mock up."

Have you seen DW's foil yet?

supuk

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 06, 2016, 11:54:20 PM »
yea nearly there I started to lay up a fin box yesterday and now just got to figure how to cast the head onto the mast perfectly straight which is probably going to be the hardest part! Yea it is literally all of cuts even the resin was a load that I was given free to test out the mast was a old broken one I was give, its like the scrap heap challenge of foils.

No not seen dw's

getcarter

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: April 07, 2016, 12:47:19 AM »
Charlie,

How did you make that Tuttle mould? I want to make one for FCS heads. Made one using vac formed ploy vinyl but was almost too small to get an effective cast from

Cheers

GC

supuk

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 07, 2016, 12:57:37 AM »
just molded off a standard fin. you will probably find it easier to just cut fcs in as they are small and simple and for the strength you would need to mold the hole fin in one go

getcarter

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #37 on: April 07, 2016, 04:52:57 AM »
Yeah I know...its just I've got loads of fins that are screw in that I wanted to make adapters for and cutting them out alters the original fin.

GC

supuk

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 08, 2016, 12:40:20 PM »
Slow progress waiting for stuff to fully cure it's still only 10deg here during the day but Moulded a fin box and pored the head on the mast which I'm hoping is stright all fingers crossed! So with any luck I just need to sort the fixings for the foils and bolt them up and then put a fin box in to a board. I have allso manged to pick up a old freeride windsurf board to stick a extra fin box in to give it a try on which should be interesting

supuk

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 09, 2016, 12:20:23 AM »
Couldn't wait to crack open the mould this morning! And luckily it worked great for the hack that it is just hope it on fairly stright which it should be.

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #40 on: April 09, 2016, 03:59:32 PM »
I didn't make my foil. I only made the special board. I used the Horue foil from France.

I decided not to get into blade building yet, due to foil design still being in its infancy.  I was afraid it would turn into an R&D money pit.

We have about 20-30 kiters foiling here. I've see so many wildly different ideas on what the blades should look like. I've also heard from guys who've ridden many of the designs, that some completely blow others out of the water in performance.

My wife foiled today on it for the first time. You can see the photos on my site. SupSURFmachines.

supuk

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 11, 2016, 12:45:02 AM »
dw i noticed you had your fin box fairly well back i assume thats because of the forward sweep of the horue? pics look great i didn't realise your in fl. I'm supposed to be over that way in a june to see faimiy and a mini stag do

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #42 on: April 11, 2016, 04:04:15 AM »
dw i noticed you had your fin box fairly well back i assume thats because of the forward sweep of the horue?

Yes, the Horue is designed to work in any production windsurf board as-is.

It's the best approach for any foil company. You can sell more foils if they work in your board. What most others are doing (needing Tuttle in middle of board) is just lazy design work.

Of course, you never really know how well that production board is going to hold up to the loads. You can assume if your production board came with the deep Tuttle box, it was probably built to handle massive fins.

Many modern boards have the Tuttle screws recessed below the deck, making the box too shallow. Older boards, like ProTechs might work.

It was easiest for me to just make a board with deep Tuttle installed super strong.

FYI it looks like Neil Prydes foil will also be plug and play in any stock production board with deep box.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2016, 04:07:49 AM by DW »

supuk

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 02, 2016, 08:28:26 AM »
Well Kai got there first but he didn't have to make it from scratch! I won't be to far behind, If I had been given one I would have tried it a long time ago! We don't have much in the way of a forcast coming but will get it on the water one way or anouther this week!
« Last Edit: May 02, 2016, 08:33:40 AM by supuk »

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #44 on: May 02, 2016, 10:21:57 AM »
Looks awesome...nice work
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal